Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

1000yd Rifle Options

Home Forums Precision Rifle 1000yd Rifle Options

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jamison Jamison 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

For those of us who don’t have any experience with long range shooting, what are some rifle models to consider that will specifically be able to perform in the LRMC? I’m interested in attending, but don’t have any gear.

Considering it’s a VERY open ended question, let’s limit it to readily available rifles (no custom or long lead time) and maybe we have two classes: bargain rifles that WILL meet the standard vs ideal rifles?

:scratch:

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Semi-auto 6.5 Creedmoor. Basically an AR-10. Supersonic at 1,200+ yards. Sub MOA. Match ammo $1.25/round. Can be used as a DMR.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

This could even way worse than the AR/AK debate :)

I’ve seen and used $500. rifles with $800. optics that have made hits at 1,100 yards. Since my farthest straight line shot down this way is 525 yards, I haven’t felt the need to spend more than that YET on a better precision rifle.

The optic should cost at least as much- preferably more- than the rifle itself.

Not 100% sure yet I can make that weekend, definitely going to try, but I have “a few” almost identical setups that are built around a Savage 110 .308 with Springfield armory 2nd and 3rd Gen scopes. Your welcome to borrow one if I come up for the class JM if you don’t have a rifle by then. They are MOA not mil dot and have a BDC (which I personally love but I gotta learn Mil dot). They are all very basic setups but if you need a rifle for the class and I’m coming, glad to bring a loaner for you.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Do you have some kind of budget in mind?

There was already a thread running about long range precision on a budget. I’ve spent a bit of time shooting at range out west, and seen a lot of setups. The general takeaway [for me] is that the optic is more important than the rifle it is sitting on.

A mediocre rifle with good glass will land more hits than a fantastic rifle with mediocre glass.

For cartridges, the classic .308 will get the job done- though not with as much “style” as a 6.5 CM or .260 Rem. It is more inexpensive to practice with, which helps you in the long run. Perhaps the hardest thing about long distance shooting is learning how to read wind. Burn out a .308 barrel while you learn and practice. When you replace it with something more wind-resistant, it will feel like cheating.

As far as rifles go, bolt actions will be more inexpensive than semi autos. You can get into a pretty capable bolt action for about $500 (Rem 700, Howa 1500, Tikka T3, Savage, etc.) It might need a better stock for rigidity and floating the barrel, figure about $250 if it needs it.

If you have more scratch for the rifle, the Ruger Precision Rifle has been getting positive reviews in the $1200 category. But, again, don’t splurge on the rifle if it means skimping on glass.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

@Robert Or maybe 9mm vs .45 “stopping power”? LOL

Just offering one option – there are many out there.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

@Robert Or maybe 9mm vs .45 “stopping power”? LOL

Just offering one option – there are many out there.

I wasn’t referring to your response, just in general. You know how it is, like you said 9mm or 45, blondes or brunettes, etc.
    Personally I know zippity zap about any of these newer calibers like the 6.5 so if I’m able to make it up for that and you are there, I’d love to hear and see more about that caliber.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

The .308 benefits from a longer bullet with a better ballistic coefficient than the typical 168gn match. This is pretty awesome in closer but to get out to 1000+, something like the 175gn Sierra Match King (boat tail)will remain stable longer than the 168. A friend shoots 190gn Bergers and seems to like them . He out shot a different friend with a Creedmore in a long range competition last month. Max range there is just shy of 1100 I think for that shoot. The Creedmore guy beat the .308 guy in the 2 previous shoots.

Get a Lee Loader kit and reload to bring the price down for the ammo. You won’t be making them fast but you can make them…..

A high quality scope makes all the difference, don’t skimp.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

For those of us who don’t have any experience with long range shooting, what are some rifle models to consider that will specifically be able to perform in the LRMC? I’m interested in attending, but don’t have any gear.

Considering it’s a VERY open ended question, let’s limit it to readily available rifles (no custom or long lead time) and maybe we have two classes: bargain rifles that WILL meet the standard vs ideal rifles?

:scratch:

Do you want a semi or bolt gun? (this will pretty much determine what calibers you can run, not to mention bullets)
    Aside from the above, do you have a preferred caliber?
    What is your budget?

You could go to your local cabelas/dicks and get a rifle, scope and ammo that will perform for the class, the other question here is do you want a rifle to run the class, or is precision shooting something you’re intending to make a long term investment in?

There are plenty of high quality off-shelf non-custom rifles out there, question is just how much you want to spend, and what level of reliability you want….

Also, everything that’s already been said about the quality/price point to expect to invest in a scope….

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

JohnnyMac
    Participant

So, after much deliberation, I’m going to go with the savage 10ba in 6.5 creedmore. While I would like a submoa ar10, i don’t know that I can justify it. The savage seems like a great precision rifle at a VERY affordable price point. Savage is running a $150 mail in rebate on it.

Any thoughts or experience with that rifle?

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

You would have to spend a lot more money to beat a Savage. Great rifle for the price.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

If you are needing a rangefinder for those long distant shots you might checkout this sale $279.99 was $699.99 24-hours only BUSHNELL – ELITE 1 MILE CONX RANGEFINDER

Advanced Laser Rangefinder Works With Your Smart Phone To Improve Your Long-Range Marksmanship

Bushnell’s Elite 1 Mile CONX laser rangefinder works hand-in-hand with your smart phone to give you exact calculations for pin-point long-range shots. At the push of a button, your Elite 1 Mile CONX rangefinder displays the exact distance to your target – anywhere from 5 to 1,760 yards (yep, it really reads out to 1 mile!). You can choose three different ballistic curves, with hold-over values in inches, centimeters, MOA, or Mils.

Bushnell built into the Elite 1 Mile CONX an accelerometer-based inclinometer that digitally displays the exact target angle, from -90° to +90° elevation with +/- 1° accuracy. The second generation E.S.P. (Extreme. Speed. Precision.) processor instantly calculates distance for a target ranging solution. You can use the BullsEye, Brush or Scan modes to dial in ranges in a variety of terrain settings.
    • 7x magnification
    • Accurate to 1/2 yard!
    • Works on Android™ 4.3 and iOS 8.1 or later systems
    • No wires! – easily links to phone via standard Bluetooth connection
    • Can also be networked via Bluetooth with a Kestrel Wind Meter (not included)
    • Built-in diopter adjustment
    • Runs on one readily available CR-123 battery
    • Fully waterproofed for use in all weather conditions
    • Built-in tripod mount & compatible with magnetic attachment systems

The monocular Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX laser rangefinder gives you all the dope you need to get on target FAST. And it’s rugged, too: multi-coated lenses deliver a crisp, clear view while the rubber armored exterior ensures a solid grip, even in wet weather.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

BrigandActual
    Participant

That rifle will serve you well.

Have you thought about optics, yet?

Matt B - VA

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I have been giving it thought, but no definitive choice.

Some things I think I want are first focal plane, illuminated reticle, mil reticle/mil adjustments.

I have a bushnell elite that satisfies those, but is only a 1-6x.

I hear good things about the vortex viper pst.

Any recommendations are welcome.

BrigandActual
    Participant

Budget?

Matt B - VA

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Budget?

It’s kind of a trick question. What am I willing to spend or what would I like to spend?

I don’t think I could reason out anything over $1k, preferably less than that though.

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

Bushnell Elite Tactical LRS Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal G2DMR Reticle presently $999 but I bought it on sale a few weeks ago for $845, I know that doesn’t help but maybe it will be back on sale again soon.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Buying kit and reason are the worst of bedfellows ;)

BrigandActual
    Participant

It wasn’t a trick, I just wanted to know what price bracket you were in. I’ve done a rather obsessive mount of research on scopes in the past, so I want to make sure I point you in the right direction.

IMO, unless you really think you need illumination, I would go without it if it meant getting better glass for the price.

In the sub-$1K category, I’d be looking at these:

SWFA SS 3-15×42

Bushnell Elite 3-12×44 LRS

Vortex PST (Gen I) 6-24×50. This one has been discontinued, but you can still find them out there between $750 (Eurooptic) and $950 (Liberty Optics)

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

+1 on the SWFA recommendation ($700), I have a 10x and it has a great MRAD reticle and is built like a tank. The Vortex Gen2 3x15x42 ($1K) is also on my short list. A quick comparison:

Weight Length Elevation Windage Relief
    SWFA 24oz 13.6″ 36mils 36mils 4.2-3.8″
    Vortex 28oz 14.3 22mils 11mils 3.4

Based on these metrics I’m leaning toward the SWFA with an AD Recon QD mount for the additional eye relief. With 6.5CM ballistics (depending on bullet grain) you only need 8-9Mils for 1,000 yards @ 300yd zero. With the SWFA you’ll have roughly 18 mils vertical adjustment from center. Even at 1,200yds you need just 10-11mils. You can get away with not needing a 20moa ring/base with the SWFA and the 6.5CM unless you’re looking to shoot past 1,300 yds. Def need the 20MOA base with the Vortex.

BrigandActual
    Participant

Whatever scope you choose, spend the money for good rings as well. I like Seekins precision, but there are many other good ones out there. I use ADM mounts on a lot of AR15 scopes, but I think they would raise the optic too high on a bolt gun.

Matt B - VA

JohnnyMac
    Participant

So many options :wacko:

Profile photo of Books
    The Librarian
    Participant

I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP with the illuminated mil scale reticle in a LaRue mount. The rifle is a gen 1 Sig 716 DMR (18 in. heavy barrel).

Great setup so far, but that scope is now discontinued.

Georgia - RS/CTT-8/16

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I was able to find a used Bushnell Elite LRS 6-24x with illuminated reticle ET6245F.

That should work nicely right?

BrigandActual
    Participant

That will do bigly

Matt B - VA

JohnnyMac
    Participant

That will do bigly

Thanks for the help. So coincidentally, in this article, http://www.guns.com/review/gun-review-savage-10-ba-stealth-in-6-5-creedmoor-video/ I’m pretty sure they’re using the exact combo I’ll have.

In it, they mention running out of adjustment above 900yds. So, should I be looking at 20moa rings for it?

EDIT: like theseNightforce A190

BrigandActual
    Participant

Yeah, a 20 MOA (or 15) wouldn’t hurt for really reaching out there.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that optics all work better the closer they are to mechanical center. Intentionally offsetting a mechanical zero by 20 MOA can affect clarity. If the glass is good enough and you don’t mind, then no biggie. But if you will primarily be using the rifle at ranges where you don’t need the offset, I’d skip.

How much it affects the scope is really dependent on the optic. I wouldn’t expect a ~$1K optic to suffer much.

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

I’m looking at a savage 10 FCP-SR for this in a 308, however I currently shoot a Ruger Mk77 AWS in .243. Any recommendations on bullet style an weight for this rifle?

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

BrigandActual
    Participant

For a new rifle in 308?

Action of choice. Chamber for 175gr SMK.

20 inch barrel, medium Palma contour

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

For a new rifle in 308?

Action of choice. Chamber for 175gr SMK.

20 inch barrel, medium Palma contour

Sorry talking the .243 here.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

If you are needing a rangefinder for those long distant shots you might checkout this sale $279.99 was $699.99 24-hours only

Thanks a bunch for the heads up. It arrived yesterday. I even found a coupon code for free shipping! A LRF was already on my ‘nice to have’ list but the quality ones are $$$….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.