Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

36 yard zero

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom xsquidgator 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

I’ve struggled a bit with consistently zeroing my rifles and came across this video. One of my priorities before I make it back for more training at MVT is to improve on this and my shooting fundamentals. What do you guys think.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Jack Moses
    Jack Moses
    Participant

I was just looking at this yesterday. It came at a perfect time because my local 50 yard rifle range closed. Now I can go to any local 25 yard range and zero for 36. The 5 inch affective zone appeals to me because I can rarely remember height over bore much less other holds. Have I tested the 36 yards zero at 300? No. I believe 300 yards is pushing it with my red dot and 11.5 inch barrel.

CTT/ NODF April 2016 /CQB May 2017/ HEAT2 April 2018

Profile photo of tahawus
    tahawus
    Participant

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be dependent on the distance between the bore and the optic also? Is his Eotech set up for lower 1/3 or center?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

You can try these kinds of shorter-range zeros, but at some point you’ll need to verify them at actual distance out to several hundred yards.
    I find that keeping a databook for each rifle or at least each optic and barrel length (16″, 20″) combo helps. I.e. a 25m zero is 6 MOA up from a 100m zero for my 16″ carbines. That’s been helpful when needing a 100m zero for a particular optic but right then only having access to anything but a 25m range.
    But, if an optic’s BDC says it wants a 100m zero, the best thing is to zero it at 100 and then verify it at longer distances.

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.