Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

45 Things I Learned in the Gulag

Home Forums The Lounge 45 Things I Learned in the Gulag

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lineman Lineman 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Interesting look at how humans deal with some of the worst conditions they can be put through.

Forty-Five Things I Learned in the Gulag

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Also, consider reading, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It is excellent. I would also like to read his book, Two Hundred Years Together, but it is banned in most free countries and prevented from being translated into English. Guess why.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

We were listening to Gulag Archipelago last time on the drive up to VTC.

These and “The Soviet Story” (one Dimitri recommended) should be mandatory viewing/reading before someone can complete high school. Never happen though, they are too busy hearing about Grapes of Wrath, Death of a Salesman- at least those were the anti capitalist shit we had thrown down our throat 25 years ago in college.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Most in our culture won’t understand and in no way can relate to this. I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday. I guess kind of a metrosexual cool businessman type. He was saying after hearing in a conference he attended, that we need to try and see the other persons viewpoint and find some common ground so we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. That’s my take on the conversation. It sounds nice, but if said other person really doesn’t have any desire to do so, and just wants to cut your head off and put it on a stick, then your Kumbaya moment becomes a shit storm. I told him this and because of his background had no reference point in his mind to even begin to understand what I was trying to say. I believe many in our country today fall into his category.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Most in our culture won’t understand and in no way can relate to this.

Well fortunately our audience here is a different culture. ;-)

These are excellent recommendations and worth the time to read.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

…and because of his background had no reference point in his mind to even begin to understand what I was trying to say.

If The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter, is too subtle, then you could suggest he read the excellent book, Hellstorm: The Death of Nazi Germany, 1944-1947, by Thomas Goodrich.

Ooh, a storm is threat’ning
    My very life today
    If I don’t get some shelter
    Ooh yeah, I’m gonna fade away

War, children
    It’s just a shot away, it’s just a shot away
    War, children

Ooh, see the fire is sweeping
    Our very street today
    Burns like a red coal carpet
    Mad bull lost your way

War, children
    War, children

[Guitar Solo]

Rape, murder!
    Rape, murder!
    Rape, murder!

Mmm, the floods is threat’ning
    My very life today
    Gimme, gimme shelter
    Or I’m going to fade away

War, children
    It’s just a shot away

I tell you love, sister
    It’s just a kiss away, it’s just a kiss away
    It’s just a kiss away, it’s just a kiss away
    It’s just a kiss away, (kiss away kiss away)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Haunting words from First Sergeant’s original post…

42. I understood what power is and what a man with a rifle is.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Most in our culture won’t understand and in no way can relate to this. I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday. I guess kind of a metrosexual cool businessman type. He was saying after hearing in a conference he attended, that we need to try and see the other persons viewpoint and find some common ground so we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. That’s my take on the conversation. It sounds nice, but if said other person really doesn’t have any desire to do so, and just wants to cut your head off and put it on a stick, then your Kumbaya moment becomes a shit storm. I told him this and because of his background had no reference point in his mind to even begin to understand what I was trying to say. I believe many in our country today fall into his category.

@Raodkill Right on. I know some of those “metrosexual cool businessman type(s)”, and I’m thinking they may be referred to #30 on Shalamov’s list.

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of Lineman
    Lineman
    Participant

Number 5 is the most important one in that…IMHO…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.