Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

6.5 Grendel upper suggestions

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons 6.5 Grendel upper suggestions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of crankshaft crankshaft 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Totally new platform for me…….while I recognize some of the names, those I do are not necessarily known for quality…..

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I’d be interested to hear as well.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

I can speak from experience :)

Quick summary – there continue to be more and more vendors supporting 6.5G. It sort of depends on what you are looking to do. Precision long range? Do-it-all?

You have Lilja, JP Enterprises, Alexandre Arms, Precision/Criterion, Christensen Arms to name a few on the more expensive side. You then have Odin Works, Ballastic Advantage, Faxon for sort of mainstream, then a variety of others that you likely want to shy away from.

I have an Odin Works 18″ barrel that is more accurate than I am for longer range/scoped use. I have a 12″ Faxon barrel for a fun SBR and then a “beater” 16″ Anderson (I think- like $95) for general tomfoolery.

There were some custom builds/buys over at 65grendel.com from Faxon for about $125 for a barrel (some are still open). But…since then, Faxon offers a 16″ on their web site.

Ammo – What REALLY drove the decision was the availability of Wolf 100gr ammo at ~24 cents/round shipped. It is maybe 2.5-3’ish MOA out of the 18″ rifle, so not super accurate, but for high volume shooting, good to go. It hits much harder vs. 556 on steel targets and I’ve taken it to 500Y and made hits consistently (so “accurate enough” I guess). I think someone did a gel test and determined it works like the AK-74/5.45, only larger (hollow cavity it tip to cause yawing).

I also run Hornady 123gr Amax or SST for any shooting for accuracy and for hunting.

Mags – stick with E-Lander – they make 25 rounders that are good quality.

BCG’s – Odin makes a nice one, so does Toolcraft (~$95 or so).

If you are looking for complete uppers, I think you are probably better off building one. Odin, for one, makes a “kit” (barrel, gas block, tube, and complete BCG), just add rail and upper receiver.

HOWEVER, Larue just came out with their “ultimate upper” (i got one in 5.56, not 6.5G), but they have a 6.5 option that is VERY accurate, but only in 18″: http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

I’ve been playing with 6.5G for about a year now after ditching my 6.8SPC for it (can’t hunt with 223/556 here in VA, so needed to go up one size). Happy to help with any questions/recommendations either here or e-mail me.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

HOWEVER, Larue just came out with their “ultimate upper” (i got one in 5.56, not 6.5G), but they have a 6.5 option that is VERY accurate, but only in 18″: http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

:good:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Thanks!

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of crankshaft
    crankshaft
    Participant

I’ve been dabbling for a couple of years in 6.5G and echo Pinky’s response. I am not a gunsmith so take this FWIW…assemble your own! Both of my uppers were assembled. In both cases I started w a BCM strippped upper because they have a smaller ID on the barrel extension that I also face to be true. It requires heat, lube and patience to get the barrel seated but it’s worth it. I have a 6.5 12.8″ lilja that is ridiculously accurate and hard hitting for brush and blind hunting. Factory 123g SST shoot great and are devastating on deer/coyote to 200 Y. I also have an 18″ Satern (Brownells) that isnt nearly as accurate or pretty as the Lilja but good enough for my use that is smooth and a fun to shoot. Running factory 90g AE it is a laser out to at least 600 yards. My daughter absolutely loves to shoot that rifle/ammo combo because it is so smooth and accurate.
    Im planning to pick up a 14.5 ballistic advantage next time they are on sale. I have had great experience w a BA 6.5C that is a good shooter and expect the same in a Grendel. Good luck!

CTT Nov 16

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.