Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

a few questions about the MVT fitness training plans

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition a few questions about the MVT fitness training plans

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lucky_luke lucky_luke 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lucky_luke
    lucky_luke
    Participant

So a little background on my health, I am 26 and for the past few months, I have had problems with my right hip and was unable to work out at all and I have been overweight for a few years now. Not bad just a little extra cushion for the ladies but I gained alot of weight while i was unable to work out. Now, I have to pass the army APFT, and the OPAT so that i can go to infantry school at camp shelby MS where i will be ruck marching 4 miles every day with a 12 mile ruck march at the end. Also i took a pt test today and did worse than i have ever done in my life on it. 37pu 43su, 25:47 2 mile run. I also met with an army Doctor and he said he wanted me on a training plan with a strict meal plan to help cut all the excess fat. So my questions for those of you that have experience with the MVT fitness plans is do they have any type of meal plan? Will the beginner plan help put me on the path to passing my pt test and OPAT with flying colors or will i need more time and the advanced plans before i would be able to pass those tests? I am going to be getting the plans eventually anyways because im sure theyre going to help with MOSQ but wanted to know if i should start with something else that has a meal plan. I apologize if all this info has already been put out and im wasting yalls time, I didnt find it when i looked. If this info has already been put out and you know where it is could you possibly provide a link? Thanks :good:

Valor Ridge:
    Rifleman I

Patriot Nurse:
    Medical Prep 101
    Medical Prep 201

Laissez les Bon ton Roulette

lucky_luke
    Participant

I forgot to provide the link to the OPAT.
    http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/05/us-army-introduces-occupational-physical-assessment-test-for-retraineesnew-accessions/

Valor Ridge:
    Rifleman I

Patriot Nurse:
    Medical Prep 101
    Medical Prep 201

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

There are no meal plans included. If your goal is to maintain your ruck marches then go for the MVT Rifleman plan. Lots of ruck runs.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of The Prof
    The Prof
    Participant

From what I know of the National Guard PT requirements (via a friend, not first hand), even the introductory Training Peaks plan will meet or exceed it, if you finish it properly.

I highly recommend the Training Peaks plans–excellent stuff, developed by a very accomplished professional.

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

For losing fat, nutrition cannot be overemphasized. In fact, I would go so far as to say that body composition is 90% what you eat, while your fitness routine determines your capabilities.

I can’t tell you exactly what you should be eating, but body-building types have nutrition for losing fat down to a science. The general advice goes something like this:

1) Estimate your resting metabolism (BMR):
    66+(6.23 * [goal body weight in lbs])
    add (12.7 * [your height in inches]
    subtract (6.8 * [your age in years])

2) Estimate your daily calorie burn with activity by multiplying your BMR by your activity level:
    Sedentary: 1.2
    1 to 3 workouts per week: 1.375
    3 to 5 workouts per week: 1.55
    6 to 7: workouts per week: 1.725
    More than 7 workouts per week: 1.9

3) Now that you have a total calorie burn per day, you should set a deficit goal. A 500 calorie deficit per day works out to about a pound of fat per week. It’s usually not recommended to be more aggressive than that. For a nice round number, let’s assume a daily goal of 2200 calories.

4) Calculate the protein requirement for the day by picking from between 1 and 1.5 grams per day. I’m going to go with 1.5 in this example. Multiply 1.5 times your goal body weight (I’m going to put down 190 lbs for the sake of calculation), that works out to 285 grams of protein per day.

5) Since a gram of protein has 4 calories, multiply your protein requirement by 4. This gives us 1140 calories per day of protein.

6) Subtract your protein calories per day from your total goal (2200 – 1140); that leaves us with 1060 calories remaining.

7) Pick a range for fat intake between .3 and .5 grams of fat per day. Going higher increases fat loss, but will hurt your workouts. I tend towards .3 for this. Multiply that number by your goal body weight (190 * .3); that gives us 57 grams of fat per day.

8) One gram of fat has 9 calories, so multiply (57 * 9); and we arrive at 513 calories from fat per day.

9) Subtract your fat calories from your remaining total calories (1060 – 513); we now have 547 calories remaining per day.

10) Since carbohydrates equate to 4 calories per gram, we’re going to take our remaining calories and divide by 4: (547/4), this gives us 136.75 grams of carbohydrates per day.

11) Construct your meals around these numbers: 285 grams of protein, 136 grams of carbohydrate, 57 grams of fat.

Those are pretty back of the napkin, but you get the idea. You won’t know what ends up working for you until you give it a try for at least 30 days. After that, you can make tweaks to it. People in the strength/bulk building phase will usually have a higher carbohydrate amount in order to keep their muscles supplied. Those in cutting phase with less exercise may dip below 100 carbs per day. For me, the 110-120 range provides pretty effortless fat loss while not hurting my workouts.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

lucky_luke
    Participant

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.

Valor Ridge:
    Rifleman I

Patriot Nurse:
    Medical Prep 101
    Medical Prep 201

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.