Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

A low impact tactical training option

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness A low impact tactical training option

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig) hellokitty 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I heard from Sean in Idaho, and now Bunny on CP, about how they had been using a stair stepper in the gym to train for class. Because I have been on light duty due to recovering from my back surgery, I have also been using a stair stepper. I just got clearance to wear a weight vest, so I have been using this in the gym.

This is by no means a comprehensive fitness plan, but it is an easy option if you are restricted to gym use perhaps due to a work schedule, and it is also low impact. It is also useful to add to a current program.

I have started with a 15lb vest (remember I am limited to the weight I can wear). I would suggest starting with a 15lb vest and building up by adding weight to no more than 35 – 40 lb. This is excellent training for hill climbing with your tactical gear – chest rig and / or plates.

I purchased a specific sports weight vest off amazon that has sandbag weights that fit into compartments. So it does not look tactical. I am currently doing 25 – 30 minutes steady state that simulates a long hill climb with gear. Remember, I am currently limited in how dynamic I can be.

When hiking uphill, it is usual to set the whole foot down before pushing up. You can replicate that on a stair stepper. I also found you can give the calves a better workout if you incorporate some time stepping with just the balls of the feet on the steps.

I see people climbing alternating side stepping up the machine. I am not sure how useful this is translating it to actual movement, and how much it is women firming their butt. I do know that Bunny confessed to doing a bit of that, because it gives him a deniable reason for staring at the woman’s behind who is on the stepper next to him. I would absolutely not condone that sort of behavior, of course.

This would be excellent preparation to incorporate into any tactical class.

:good:

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

This is excellent training for hill climbing with your tactical gear – chest rig and / or plates.

Bingo :good: It’s crossed my mind getting one for my gym specifically for that reason! I didn’t think about it from an impact perspective.

As an alternative, I’ve done high rep box step ups with weight. It’s not nearly as good as a stair stepper, but I thought it helped me in the Run n Gun on the steep climbs.

Max
    Keymaster

In retrospect, it is a really easy thing for people to do (I mean it is a little hard actually on the stair stepper!) If we could get everyone here, alumni, future students etc, doing something like this, we would really improve fitness at class.

JM: is this something that could be incorporated into a fitness challenge week? A certain weight, certain time, number of floors? Not sure it would work across different makes of stair steppers, or would it?

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

When we have been getting guys ready for a fight, we have used those weight vests, they work.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

JohnnyMac
    Participant

In retrospect, it is a really easy thing for people to do (I mean it is a little hard actually on the stair stepper!) If we could get everyone here, alumni, future students etc, doing something like this, we would really improve fitness at class.

JM: is this something that could be incorporated into a fitness challenge week? A certain weight, certain time, number of floors? Not sure it would work across different makes of stair steppers, or would it?

So I think it’s really based on people’s access to one. Doing some digging, number of floors vary from machine to machine. They all calculate based on vertical distance traveled, and often you can look up how floors are calculated for the specific model. Usually it’s 10-12 ft per floor, if I remember correctly.

Keeping it easily accessible, maybe it could be something like: Gain XXX ft. of vertical travel, whether that’s someone on a stair stepper, hitting a hill of their choice, or stepping up on boxes or park benches. :unsure:

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Keeping it easily accessible…

How about analog stairs?

As in real stairs… ;-)

Just a thought.

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

I have this in my basement. It is great for leg strength and climbing work. My usual is 30min with a 30 lb vest couple times a week alternating with runs or elliptical. Add free weight squats and your legs will good. The only time my quads got smoked is when Tango led me on a 15 mile round trip climb to a peak in the smokey mountains with 35lb rucks. That destroyed my quads. Thanks Tango. :wacko:

https://versaclimber.com/product/h-consumer-model/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Max
    Keymaster

It’s obviously not practical for the forum fitness challenge, so let’s not overthink it. Regardless, a great addition and I think all should be doing it.

Failing a stairstepper, do reps on an actual hill. I posted about this before, going out and walking in your gear. It’s what I do for PT up at the VTC – hill reps.

HK: that is not actually the sort of stepper I was referring to, for the general audience. I meant one of thise gym ones with the revolving set of actual steps, electric gym machine.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Keeping it easily accessible…

How about analog stairs?

As in real stairs… ;-)

Just a thought.

I came here to post this. I do this. I work at home and work out at home. I climb the stairs and usually skip every other one on the way up, pushing hard. Sometimes I wear a 40# vest. I have one like Max mentioned that is adjustable with individual 2# weights.

The weight vest, covering the chest and back, is hotter than a backpack, but the balance allows you to maintain a more upright posture.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Lest anyone thinks the vest is mandatory, the hospital I work in is 16-18 stories (depends on which stairwell you’re in). Rather than taking the elevator, I run the stairs. If time allows (no emergency), I usually stop about every 4th story and do push-ups. I rarely run into others, except on the lower 3 floors.

Look at your daily life and figure out what can be done to improve your health in the little things.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Max
    Keymaster

I think this thread needs to be brought back to its original intent:

1) gym style electric stairstepper.
    2) weighted vest building from 15-35lb.
    3) 25-30 minutes hill climbing.

This is what will give you the benefits for carrying your tactical gear, in a low impact manner.

Focus!

Max
    Keymaster

1) gym style electric stairstepper.
    2) weighted vest building from 15-35lb.

Curious if anyone is doing this, or intends to do it, or if I am just bumping my gums.

:scratch:

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

I train mostly outside and have a real nice hill I can incorporate multiple times in a workout. After JM’s 6 week challenge I have both a 35lb(bricks) and 40lb(seed bag) insert for a ruck.

Is this the same benefit as the stair climber? I guess the one benefit of the climbing machine would be less stress on the body. At my age my body is so wonky…good days and bad days. I held up pretty good for the challenge.

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

Profile photo of Books
    The Librarian
    Participant

I started doing this. Excellent idea.

Georgia - RS/CTT-8/16

JohnnyMac
    Participant

This, I go through cycles with my training (periodization) but during more ruck oriented training cycles, Wednesdays are for a 30-45 minute hill climb with a 50lb ruck.

I find I have to play it by ear with the hills, too much hills and my knees start to ache, mainly from the downhills.

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

Have the weight vest on order and will try it out on the gym’s stair stepper, got to be better on old knees :yes:

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

and will try it out on the gym’s stair stepper, got to be better on old knees :yes:

Think closed-chain exercises (foot never leaves contact with the surface, whether it be ground or a pedal or a step). This gives no- impact and is much easier on the knees. The most common would be bicycle or elliptical.

Open chain involves the foot breaking contact, such as walking/running. To save the knees, look at low-impact, such as walking or stair-master. Running is harder on the knees, and high-impact such as basketball is the hardest.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

wildbill
    Participant

Think closed-chain exercises (foot never leaves contact with the surface, whether it be ground or a pedal or a step). This gives no- impact and is much easier on the knees.

+

My AO is similar to MVC’s terrain so running up and down hills takes its toll and running on a treadmill isn’t much of an improvement, I’ll give the stair-master and elliptical a workout.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Max
    Keymaster

What is MVC?

The VTC? Velocity Training Center?

Don’t take it too hard, I see all sorts of spelling variations on the VTC….

:scratch:

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

MVC is the Max Velocity Coliseum…..construction will begin in 2025….home of the 2030 TacGun Games :yes:

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

wildbill
    Participant

Bad knees and can’t spell shit I’m falling apart :wacko:

Profile photo of Steven W.
    fabio
    Participant

My treadmill is currently used to hang laundry. When motivated, I get on the treadmill while watching tele. When really motivated, I put on a light ruck. Thanks for the poke in the ribs everyone.

Profile photo of Justin
    incipient
    Participant

I do this at work myself.. except I replace the weight vest with my turnout gear and SCBA. Incline treadmill for me since no stair stepper in the station. Most of our calls are in high rise buildings so I hit the stairs often. :yahoo:

In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop...

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Turnout gear and SCBA = Plate carrier and pack with a snow suit on. Not for wussies. :good:

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.