Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Airsim Training Notes

Home Forums Training: Preparation and Answers Airsim Training Notes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave37dave37
    Participant

The week before last I attended my first Airsim training event, the Force on Force day of the 2019 MVT Texas class, hereafter to be referred to as Operation TeaSinker, in which the Heroic Texan Revolutionary Forces overran the Imperial supply depot, captured their supply of Evil Tea, and triumphantly threw it into the pure, freedom loving waters of the San Saba river.

Presented below are my observations regarding the use of Airsim training weapons.

1) They are definitely better than UTM. Better range, easier to hit with because you can see them flying, vastly cheaper, and they do not suffer from the catastrophic paint-pellet-stuck-in-barrel failure.

2) Beware magazine over-insertion. I had two failures during the final firefight where the bolt of my rifle would not drop on a fresh mag. I remedied these by removing and reinserting the mag. The mags would not drop free, and had to be pulled out with a lot of force, so I think I must have over-inserted them in the heat of battle. I also broke one of the feed lips on one of my polymer EPM-GBB mags, possibly from the same thing.

3) Wire mesh eye protection is superior to conventional goggles. On the first FoF evolution I wore plastic goggles with Cat Crap anti-fog on them, and they were blurry and hard to see through. Thereafter I wore a mask with wire mesh over the eyes. These are annoying at first, but once the shooting begins you don’t see the wire mesh anymore.

4) You can’t really zero an Airsim rifle the way you would a real one. I tried and tried to shoot groups and dial my red dot in, and the Airsim doesn’t really have the accuracy to do that. You get more of a shotgun pattern than a group. Just adjust the sights so that you are hitting a torso sized target at 25 yards and call it good.

5) You really only use the sights on the first shot. After that you just focus on the target, watch where the BBs are going, and walk in your stream fire.

6) You will need as many mags in your basic load as you would for a real weapon. I suppose this really shouldn’t come as a surprise. I thought I would be able to get by with three mags, and wound up having to borrow two more. The mags hold 40 rounds, but because you are using stream fire, ammo consumption is higher. When my team was on support by fire, we went through six mags each.

7) Ammo consumption is about the same as real weapons, on a per mag basis. It was generally 3-6 mags per scenario, unless I got killed early or was in a leadership role. Two cans of green gas and one bag of 5000 0.26g BBs got me through six FoF scenarios. Per Max, you get about 12-18 mags per can of green gas.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018, Operation TeaSinker 2019

Team Coyote, Team Cowbell

Profile photo of wheelseewheelsee
    Participant

And paint the dang orange tip something different…….nothing screams out here I am more than wearing neon yellow tape (the other team grabbed the subdued red first :unsure: ) and having a blaze orange tip rifle poking around a tree. (as I specifically heard OpFor say)…. :scratch:

Agree with Dave….and if you’re NOT attending FonF with Max, you really have no idea how your training is going.

1. Static = death
    2. Being flanked is bad…..
    3. Aggression wins….

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of riflemanivriflemaniv
    Participant

@dave37 which mask/mesh eye pro are you using?

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of Max VelocityMax
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of DarkriversDarkrivers
    Participant

I have been using a Dye I4 mask for two years now and haven’t had any issues with fogging. I think you can find a used one for $40-$50. Great post Dave that info is spot on.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of arealcorkerarealcorker
    Participant

Hey Max it is showing 0 available bookings for the FOF in July. Is it all ready booked up?

Keymaster

Hey Max it is showing 0 available bookings for the FOF in July. Is it all ready booked up?

It’s not booked up at all. I just checked the system and it should not be showing that. Trying to figure where the error is. When I look at the site myself, it allows me to book. If it is full, it tells you booking is not available. What are you seeing? Are you looking here:

VTC Romney: Force On Force: Open Enrollment

This is the sort of thing I appreciate being given the heads up about – I may be wondering why a certain class is not filling, and then not even know it is a technical booking error that no-one is telling me about.

Keymaster

@arealcorker – waiting to hear back from you, or anyone else who chooses to try to book the FoF above.

Profile photo of wheelseewheelsee
    Participant

@Max @arealcorker

This may be operator error. While the “Spacings” show as zero, there is a drop-down menu that allows one to pick the number of attendees. It allowed me to go through the process without problem (I did NOT finalize)

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Lloydshooter
    Participant

@dave37 – Great info! I was impressed by the airsim vs UTM. It is different from live fire, but “close enough”, and more user friendly than UTM, I think.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of arealcorkerarealcorker
    Participant

Copy I didn’t see the drop down arrow. It just said zero bookings available. I assumed it was all ready full. Thanks for the heads up.

Profile photo of Dave37dave37
    Participant

@riflemaniv – The mask doesn’t have a brand on it. It was the only thing at the airsoft store that had wire mesh eyes. I had a choice of Zombie Skeleton mask or Batman.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018, Operation TeaSinker 2019

Team Coyote, Team Cowbell

Participant

My understanding is that “no exposed skin” is not as critical with airsim as it is with UTM, so a mesh facemask to protect your teeth, plus good shooting glasses or goggles, is probably enough… Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

The paintball helmets my son and I used this year had bad fogging issues. Last year (with UTM) we used mesh facemasks with goggles that have a fan in them, and they worked GREAT, except for the fact that getting mask, goggles, balaclava, and shemagh to all fit together with NO skin exposed was a pain in the butt.

Not sure what we’ll use next year, but the paintball helmets with fogfast goggles are going in the dumpster!

---

Brushpopper and I used the One Tigris mask which allows a proper proper cheek weld and the use of glasses or goggles.
    https://www.amazon.com/OneTigris-Comfortable-Adjustable-Protective-Available/dp/B01KT0HEVI/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=airsoft%2Bmask&qid=1551727760&s=gateway&sr=8-7&th=1

I also used the Pyramex I-Force goggles which didn’t fog up for the first two matches. Due to the crazy humid conditions they did fog on the next one so I found that they need to be cleaned with alcohol or antifog wipes after each match.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-I-Force-Sporty-Anti-Fog-Goggle/dp/B006WPSDXS/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_2/146-2667721-3338043?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006WPSDXS&pd_rd_r=dd3ab176-3eb3-11e9-b0e9-dd0694c35353&pd_rd_w=wDmUA&pd_rd_wg=OFLNZ&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=SKS4F6YYRT8B2RTBC4T7&psc=1&refRID=SKS4F6YYRT8B2RTBC4T7

The FoF portion was great, in fact I’m considering getting a Mega Arms

Participant

We used One Tigris masks and the fan goggles for UTM, and I think that worked a lot better than the paintball helmets. As you mentioned, you CAN get a good cheek weld with the One Tigris mesh mask. We had to look an inch or so over the top of the sights and just watch the bb’s with the paintball helmets we used this year.

---

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.