Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Ambush Patrol

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

In my prepatory study for the up coming CLC, I found a student handout from the Marine Corp. basic officer course discussing the ins and outs of the ambush patrol. It’s very detailed and while not everything is applicable (SAWs and claymores), it’s given me some additional insights and a play-by-play. I hope others find it helpful.

http://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Portals/207/Docs/TBS/B2H0373XQ-DM%20Ambush%20Patrol.pdf

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Tug cords and count downs. :good:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

That would have been sweet to read before taking CP. Good base knowledge.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Actually I’m not sure why. As usual with some of these military publications, they over complicate things. MVT has always striven to not only make tactics civilian applicable, but bring relevant experience. As Tommy said at the SF class, or something similar, we have a knack of simplifying the operation into what it needs to be, not the mukti-layered complication the military often creates.

I would stick with what is written in Contact, and what is taught at CP, if I were you.

We could always pull out the Ranger Handbook as well, for good measure. I would tell you the same. Chris was a Ranger Instructor and we were always on the same page, regardless of different routes to get there. And we never over complicate at MVT.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Over complicated compared to what you teach? Yes. But having a base understanding of at least the overarching scheme of things with some non-civilian jargon digested before attending is helpful. Smaller bites to comprehend in class.

Where’s that MVT Handbook at? ;-)

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

When I get irritated reading my own forum, it’s time to change the subject and move on.

B-)

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

For the record, Contact sits on my dining room table and most nights after dinner I’m reading though things (again).

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

I come down on the side of refreshing with “Contact” before MVT classes and that being your pre-study prior to arrival.

As someone that attends lots of work related trainings ….this will eliminate a lot of confusion during times of stress, fatigue, and dealing w/ illiness/injury while you’re at class.

I just got back from a training this week that had attendees from multiple agencies and when it came to the final exam I had problems sorting through material taught, our agency policies, and all the differences others have. Came down with a stomach bug while in class and that also contributed to not doing as well as I should have.

In summary I would stick to the prep work Max lays out for each class.

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Strictly from an observational perspective- you don’t know what you don’t know (YDKWYDK)

IME, Most agency policies are designed to protect them legally. As such, the language is convoluted and many times does not make sense to the layperson.

Try the experiment of 2 people, back to back – 1 describing a geometric picture, the other drawing. Then look at the drawing….how closely does it resemble the original.

Max does an excellent job of taking a concept and making it simple, even though my brain wants to over-complicate it…..and, yes, I was a member of Team Retard….. :wacko:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.