Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Another Terrible Confession: Max Comes Out!

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment EDC Another Terrible Confession: Max Comes Out!

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Abacus Abacus 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Had you with the clickbait title, right?

I came clean with Scott at the HEAT 1 class, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, rending of clothing etc.

I just didn’t want to admit that I had a tiny one!

Ok, so what’s the deal?

I had begun to quit on CCW. Seriously. A few times it was left in the car. It just became a total pain in the ass. My usual carry is a Glock 26.

Given that it always happens when you are not ready for it, clearly that was not an ideal situation, being unarmed.

So I pulled out a Ruger LCP 380 that I had somehow purchased in the past. It has a crimson trace laser on it. Totally gay.

Well, got myself a little IWB holster, extended grip / capacity mags, and a mag IWB holder. Sweet. I can carry this thing all day and not give a shit.

The point is that is the Ruger LCP better than a larger framed / caliber handgun? No. But will I carry it all the time? Yes. The only handgun that is good in a gunfight is the one that you have with you.

I read all the stuff about larger caliber CCW that was posted. Do I agree? Yes. But am I carrying that now? No.

Do I actually expect to use a handgun as the first resort in a situation? Unlike many gun owners, I am happy to put hands on people if I need to. Having the Ruger LCP gives me something additional when I could have nothing.

One thing, if you do this (not recommended) get a holster that presents the IWB handgun where you can actually get a grip on it for the draw. The one in the photo does this. Otherwise you are fiddling with a toy gun in your waistband, trying to get a grip on it.

I may consider a Glock 43, but at this time, that is more money, when I have a little 380 in my waistband as I sit here typing.

The crimson trace is remarkably well bore-sighted. When dryfiring it is interesting to acquire sight picture and compare to the laser. It gives me another aiming solution if I can’t achieve a full presentation with the weapon.

Have at it knuckleheads! I’ll fight you!

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

SHAAAMEEEE!!!

Just kidding. I’ll admit, my carry choices are diverse (not to say I’m unarmed). In some cases, I have no solution yet.

Example: No firearm during PT (usually). I try to mitigate somewhat with an edged weapon. There’s something to be learned by being the rabbit in some Tueller drills.

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

What was the issue you were having that was making CCW a pain in the ass?

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Have at it knuckleheads! I’ll fight you!

Ok!

I’ll pass on the sarcastic comments, it’s no fun when this easy! B-)

I read all the stuff about larger caliber CCW that was posted. Do I agree? Yes. But am I carrying that now? No.

Well let’s review some key points of the previously mentioned thread…

Need a smaller package with its reduced sight radius? No problem train more to compensate.

Don’t believe First Sergeant was talking absolutes, but directed at untrained and uninformed choices some make.

Fucking bingo.

As @joe (G.W.N.S.) said, it’s all about choices. As I said in the OP, sometimes you don’t have a choice and have to carry a small gun. There are times that I carry a small .380 in a pocket holster or a .38 snubnose in an ankle holster(with reloads), but I understand the limitations that this places on me. Most people don’t.

I assume Max understands and has addressed the bolded portions above.

Additionally…

I am happy to put hands on people if I need to.

…Max and isn’t relying on just one solution to address threats.

Ideally we all should have as many potential solutions as possible available!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Of course I have often thought that if I don’t want to CCW, I could always have one of my German Shepherds wear this.

Wonder what rules a armed GSD falls under when CCW? ;-)

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

@Max What brand holster?

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

@Max What brand holster?

NT Hybrid, by Outlaw Holsters. Found on Amazon for a Ruger LCP with crimson trace. Holds the grip up nicely for a draw.

____

I wasn’t really looking for validation, more to cause trouble….. B-)

Profile photo of GreenTip
    GreenTip
    Participant

Glock 43 IWB in a leather Don Hume
    Holster. Carry all day and don’t know its there or ankle rig. Depends on tucked or untucked shirt and season.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

You should have seen it. I had to drag it out of him. He didn’t want to confess. ;-)

See Joe’s response for my take on this.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

wheelsee
    Participant

A .32 deep cover may be a problem getting to in a hurry but at least it’s on me…..except them dang MRIs like showing everyone where it is :yahoo: ( just joking)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You should have seen it. I had to drag it out of him. He didn’t want to confess.
    ;-)

Ok, I’ll admit!

25 years ago I sometimes carried a .25 ACP! :wacko:

A Beretta Bobcat.

I wish I still had it. ;-)

My name is Joe and I carried a mousegun!

And everyone said “Hi Joe!”

Mousegun Anonymous
    “A 12 Step Program for Recovering Mousegunneers!”
    :yahoo:

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I’ve read about the improvements in ammo and how there is good defensive ammo on the street for the .380. Somewhere I have a Tarus that I got a good price on. Key word…somewhere.

For everyday carry my G-26 works fine in an Alien Gear IWB holster, can keep it outta sight with a good brand tee shirt. If I have to go to one of the bigger cities, it’s a Para P-12, with 2 spare mags. Have a Kirkpatrick Leather cross draw holster for behind the steering wheel and a Kirkpatrick Leather outside the waist band holster I wear at 2-3 o’clock and keep covered with a tee shirt or a regular shirt over it. Depends on how many degrees over 100 it’s gonna be that day.

Back when I was working and actually carried a gun I had a Colt Pony in .380 as a backup. Damned fine piece. But, the H&K USP-1 in .45 never needed a backup.

Everybody needs to figure out what works for them. The old saw about .22s killing lots of folks still holds true today. :bye:

First Sergeant

I’ve read about the improvements in ammo and how there is good defensive ammo on the street for the .380.

The old saw about .22s killing lots of folks still holds true today.

The biggest problem with .380 ACP is the lack of power. It just doesn’t have the juice to penetrate and reliably open.

For some guns, depending on the make, they won’t reliably feed hollow points. You would be better off using FMJ’s in it.

I have a Colt Mustang XSP in .380 ACP. It’s the updated Mustang with a polymer frame and ambi safety. It feeds JHP’s reliably.

The safety is the biggest issue for a pocket gun. Most of them have stupidly small safety’s that you can’t reliable hit with your thumb, Ruger and S&W I am talking about you. That’s one of the reasons that I use the Mustang XSP.

I agree with you on the .22’s. That doesn’t mean I am going to start carrying one.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of CaptainSafety
    CaptainSafety
    Participant

My summer gun is a light as hell G42 (380 ACP). I keep it in Tammy Magill’s tight little $35 holster and I’m good to go.

This is also for times when I’m just not feeling like being a Delta SEAL opsrator and just want to be a dad at the grocery store.

To be honest, most of my threats are likely to be from 3 sources:
    1. Stray dogs (neighbor’s kids leave the fence unlocked and when the owner lets the dog into the backyard, the dog gets loose).

2. Philly driver road rage. People here are legit crazy about driving and will follow you off of the Interstate just to scream at you.

3. Random hobo wandering through neighborhood. It doesn’t happen often, but it seems like over the course of a decade 1 or 2 random sketchy people will come to your door.

Keep in mind that Philly is sewn together with the rainbow patchwork of brilliant diversity that makes America a stronger, tighter community of love that all seem to fucking hate each other when the Eagles aren’t playing football. So for the days of the year that don’t feature the NFL, I tend to keep my head on a swivel at gas stations, parking lots (read: car parks, Max) and ATMs.

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Gosh, I don’t know what to do now…..I feel like I’ve been led astray!
    LOL Actually, I’ve been dealing with this myself lately. Sometimes it feels like a pain in the ass to carry my G19, when I’m sweating like crazy chopping brush or like this afternoon loading furniture into a truck after eating a little too much for lunch!

~ Little - South Texas

First Sergeant

This is getting out of hand.

This was not a “I don’t need a full size gun ever” type of confession.

There are times when a full size service pistol is impractical. That is the reason for a pocket pistol. Could be due to work restrictions or for the way you have to dress.

Last night the wife and I went out to a very nice steakhouse for supper. We dressed up a little. I was wearing khakis and button up shirt tucked in. No way could I carry a full sized pistol, so I used the Mustang in the pictures above. Today is was back to a full sized pistol.

A .380 ACP doesn’t have the best record for stopping bad guys. It is a gun you carry when you don’t have any other choice. A.32 ACP is worse.

For those of you complaining about the heat and working or whatever, carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting.

You keep making justifications for carrying a smaller gun, sooner or later you will make justifications for not carrying a gun.

Why do I carry a gun when the odds are very slim that I will ever need it? It’s not the odds, it’s the stakes.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Totally agree @First Sergeant!

~ Little - South Texas

wheelsee
    Participant

Why do I carry a gun when the odds are very slim that I will ever need it? It’s not the odds, it’s the stakes.

Bolded for emphasis……. and another post filled with BTDT wisdom

Have YOU signed up for Defensive Concealed Handgun??

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

Max is better at fighting than I am…

I have thus far been too cheap to aquire a compact or subcompact handgun. As such, I know I can hide a full sized service pistol IWB in under a t-shirt. It is not always optimal and it does print more than “the internet” would like. But, I don’t mind a little printing since most people won’t even notice and those who do are probably carrying themselves around here. I don’t carry at all in non permissive environments with police or similar security wandering about. It is not worth the trouble.

I have only ever carried in hot locales like AZ and FL. It is sweaty to be sure, but then again so is just being outside three to four months out of the year in the desert or the deep South.

I do lust after the Shield at the LGS though, especially when it feels like your living in an industrial oven outside.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I live where 110 is no big deal during the summer and humidity is usually low. But over 105 or so is hot no matter what and you will sweat (even if you don’t feel it).

The Alien Gear IWB handles that real well and you don’t feel soaked. I have no relation with them other than customer.

IMO, too much gun is better than not enough if the SHTF. Along with that the only time you can have too much ammo or fuel is if you’re on fire. :good:

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I’m still curious as to why conceal carrying daily was becoming a pain in the ass? Not sure if my question got lost in the shuffle or wasn’t relevant. :cry:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

I live where 110 is no big deal during the summer and humidity is usually low. But over 105 or so is hot no matter what and you will sweat (even if you don’t feel it).

The Alien Gear IWB handles that real well and you don’t feel soaked. I have no relation with them other than customer.

IMO, too much gun is better than not enough if the SHTF. Along with that the only time you can have too much ammo or fuel is if you’re on fire. :good:

We live in almost the same biome where “nice” running weather is in the upper 90s.

I also use the same holster along with one of their gun belts. It works quite well. To avoid chaffing I wear a cotton tank top as a base layer. It keeps the gun, holster, and buckle from rubbing me and deals with sweat well without smelling like death as some synthetics do.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.