Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Any interest in a Zello Irma discussion?

Home Forums Radio & Communication Any interest in a Zello Irma discussion?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Trailman trailman 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve been thinking of trying Zello as a improvised Podcast Q&A type thing.

This MVT Irma channel would be a test of the usefulness of the platform, it’s capable of having a password protected channel with moderators assigned. Can support up to 2000 users.

I figured using peoples MVT usernames for familiarity and limited to actual MVT Forum members.

If sufficient interest exists we can give it a try.

I don’t have much experience with Zello yet, but if this works and seems controllable this could lead to other online discussions on a variety of MVT topics.

We wouldn’t limit this test to just Irma discussion, but any Irma questions or needs would take priority.

Zello is available at Apple App store, Google Play, Windows Phone Store, and Amazon App Store. Phones, tablets, and computers are possible platforms, devices need a speaker and a microphone to work.

A PTT switch is assigned depending on device used.

When you setup your Zello account you decide on what is publicly available in your profile, so it seems relatively secure regarding anonymity. Obviously don’t talk about anything you don’t want known. You can insert a avatar pic just like Forum, in fact I would recommend using the same one to ease others recognition of you.

So let me know who is interested and we can setup a time and distribute a password for the channel if there’s sufficient interest.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

I am interested Joe I like this idea.

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

I’m also interested, I’ll check out the program.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

I think I have an account on there but can’t recover it because the website won’t respond

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

trailman
    Participant

So I’m on as checkerboardsix, must have had an account long ago

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

I will set one up. I have Mom in Ft. Myers and a sister in St. Pete Beach. Sis went to high ground but her place ( 2 really) will flood. Going to get the HF ears on the hurricane net later as well.

Profile photo of BamBam
    bambam
    Participant

Yes, for sure. Handle is Peter on Zello. In St. Augustine.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Note: From Zello…

Can I have two accounts on the same email?

Yes, you can have two or more accounts associated with the same e-mail address.

Zello Support

So you can create an account just for MVT use, this would greatly help in knowing who you are.

trailman
    Participant

So what’s the MVT group password

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So any one who is interested get the applicable App for your device, set a account, check your setup with the “Echo” feature which allows you to hear your own transmission to verify everything works.

Is there a time tonight that would work best for everyone?

I’ll be busy until latter, but if there is a consensus on time we can setup distributing the password.

The channel name is “MVT: Irma Discussion,” the App has a search feature to find it. I’ll also be on forum during the discussion if anyone is having problems.

Profile photo of Mountain Mom
    gramma
    Participant

I’ll give it try. Any time after 6 pm ET will work.

gramma
    Participant

Hmmm. Not seeing anywhere to set up an account, search for a channel or anything. Just the walkie screen. Nothing in settings either. But then, I’m apple illiterate unless it’s 10-15 yrs old.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Not using Apple, but in the upper right corner are three vertical dots, click or touch them and a dropdown menu will appear.

Select options, then Profile to build a profile.

Profile photo of Dennis W
    Dennis W
    Participant

I added the app and I think it’s set up for the MVT Irma discussion.
    Dennis

MTV Alumni - N. Central Florida
    Sept 27 – Oct 03 2014 TC3-CTT-CP + NODF
    RC1, RC2, Rifleman 2015
    Sept 2016 Run & Gun/ CQB
    Oct 2016 FOF

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I think it’s set up

:good:

gramma
    Participant

Just waiting on a password…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Everyone check your PM’s.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well so far I talked with Gramma, Dennis W, Trailman, and Bambam on the Zello “MVT: Irma Discussion.”

Zeerf and Wildbill popped in, but never heard anything from them.

Unsure if they could hear us or not.

Obviously with me not scheduling an actual time and not really having a defined agenda it wasn’t great, but it did show the potential for usefulness.

I think it would be worth scheduling some more informal sessions to define possible uses.

Once we get a better handle on the capabilities, user operation, and help figure out why some weren’t able to make contact.

One possible use may involve playing a audio podcast, followed by a Q&A.

Interview, followed by a Q&A.

Any thoughts and feedback is welcome.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Maybe a live play by play of the TacGun Challenge, with some interviews of participants?

Profile photo of Groundwork
    Groundwork
    Participant

I already have a Zello account with a name for family, while Irma lasts at least.

Would I need a new account to use my Groundwork name?

I’d be interested in participating if able to use my forum name.

EDIT: Read above about having multiple accounts.

Congrats on a successful first session.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Would I need a new account to use my Groundwork name?

I think it’s better to go by forum user-name for familiarity.

Note: From Zello…

Can I have two accounts on the same email?

Yes, you can have two or more accounts associated with the same e-mail address.

Zello Support

So you can create an account just for MVT use, this would greatly help in knowing who you are.

I’d be interested in participating if able to use my forum name.

From the Zello App you go to drop down menu, select Accounts, add accounts, then New Zello account.

Fill in info, go to profile to ensure you are only sharing what you want then your set.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am still monitoring channel so anyone can still reach me.

As stated above I am trying to get a feel for possibilities in support of MVT.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Congrats on a successful first session.

Well some of us made contact, but I truly apologize for not having a real game plan to move the discussion in more useful manner.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Zeerf came in channel again, but no contact.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I want to thank everyone who participated even those that weren’t able to get through. :good:

With a little effort I believe we can make this a useful format for a variety of uses.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

good copy and check-in, glad you got this setup and hope we can keep it going and get some good use out of it.
    :good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something Zeerf helped me find out that is worth noting. If you don’t actually exit App it will run in the background. Then if someone transmits it will broadcast on your device.

So say there wasn’t any transmissions going on, and you don’t realize it, then say your sleeping or in a place where Joe transmitting is inappropriate for your current location.

I think Bambam may have discovered this too. ;-)

Anyway if I notice it I’ll give you a heads up now that I know.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There are a few of us that will be using channel to varying degrees today, if anyone wants to give it try just contact me.

gramma
    Participant

I was going to touch base with you on the storm progress. I see Irma has hit the keys now – and it looks like it might be a long day where you are. Having something like this to do, definitely helps.

I have a ham friend in SD that also got up & running in Zello – and he was trying to raise me during our session. You can hear multiple channels, if you are connected to both. Good tip on the exit to really shut it down, too. Hearing voices around here – all by myself – I’d have to peel myself off the ceiling. LOL.

I’d describe this as a combination of ham ‘net session, and a group Skype session. Apparently one can share photos too (from the preferences). It could serve pretty well for those formal applications Joe – but there is already online presentation software that will let people log in, watch and hear the presentation – and a text chat/voice chat option for Q&A after. It makes a good teaching tool. There are several different platforms that have survived the initial development phase.

I see value in this, for spontaneous informal chat among members on a specific topic too. Brainstorming sessions, threat risk analysis from people within a local area, a quick tactical planning meeting tool.

My friend in SD, is looking at it for an interim (when things are falling apart rapidly; but not completely shattered) communication tool for our widely dispersed group (coast to coast) of about 30 people. It replaces the call tree, shared communication/refuge lists, and since only a handful of our group are hams – a real-time communication link.

I’m looking at it as a way to coordinate my tiny group of people too over a smaller area.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Good stuff Gramma, I am aware of the presentation type software and it is excellent. Most of it costs money, which in itself isn’t a problem, but I figure this may possibly work to start.

It really comes down to interest, if sufficient interest is proven through actual participation then I would be more inclined. I am just not interested in spending money to support a handful of users, when this will suffice.

I think with some creative thinking and use this can be a excellent option.

I just got done cleaning up for my house guests that will be riding out storm. Once I get showered I’ll be up on channel.

Several of us have been talking periodically through out morning.

So anyone can feel free to stop by and say hi.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.