Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

AR Barrel Life

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons AR Barrel Life

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First SergeantFirst Sergeant

I have had some questions regarding this, most recently was couple of days ago on IG.

What is the life of a bbl on an AR?

20,000 rounds is the standard answer, but there are some caveats to that.

What is the firing schedule for the rifle? Most shooters will probably never shoot the bbl out on there AR’s. They just don’t shoot enough.

What type of ammo are you using? That could be an issue of you are using a lot of junk ammo and don’t take care of the rifle.

Are you doing any full auto mag dumps? That could be a huge factor. Most aren’t going to see that kind of abuse due to the price of full auto weapons and not to mention the cost of the ammo.

Which company made your bbl? No, not all companies are created equal. Some do it better than others, especially when it comes to chrome lining. CHF bbl’s? The only real advantage you are going to get with a CHF bbl is if you are doing a lot of full auto.

That 20,000 round mark could be less or it could be a lot more. There are just too many factors to give a definitive answer. Keep shooting until you see accuracy start to go.

Keep a log book for your rifle. Log every time you shoot. Running round count, ammo type, weather and any issues you have.

20,000 round of ammo is going to cost you roughly $6200.00.

@GreenTip

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of BrigandActualBrigandActual
    Participant

I say it to people all the time. By the time you shoot enough ammo to kill a barrel, the cost of the barrel itself isn’t really a concern.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of GreenTipGreenTip
    Participant

Thanks for the info First Sergeant

Profile photo of JohnnyMacJohnnyMac
    Participant

What type of ammo

Something else, is higher velocities are going to wear a barrel more (IE hot loaded 5.56 vs lower velocity .223). Who knows how much of a difference it would make, and perhaps it’s a moot point, but something to think about.

Keep shooting until you see accuracy start to go.

Another thing is, what was the starting accuracy of your barrel (and what’s the precision you need)? If you’re starting accuracy is, for example, sub MOA, there’s a lot of leeway for accuracy degrading over time with shots still being in the “danger space” for typical engagement distances.

Profile photo of DuaneHDuaneH
    Participant

I have seen several barrels from different manufacturers go out a lot earlier.

I was at CRCD a few years ago and on the first day an alumni and MVT frequent flyer noted keyholing. He swore his AR only had 6 k rounds through it all at MVT. I think it was a PSA NON chrome lined barrel.

My Bushmaster’s barrel (pre buyout) was replaced at 12k rounds due to groups going from 3 MOA to 8 MOA. I took the flash hider off and a cartridge placed in the muzzle went all the way to the case.

And then there are Army M16s that are worn out not from shooting, but from soldiers overcleaning them. ‘Cuz rifles aren’t for shooting, they are for carrying and cleaning.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of MikeMike
    Participant

One way is to set standards with your equipment. You have to know your abilities and your equipments abilities. For me I know I shoot mid to high 90s at 100yd on nra b8 bull. One day I started shooting low 80s, a few range sessions later same results. There were no key holes just larger groups. I replaced the barrel and now I’m back to mid to high 90s. Not sure how many rounds through barrel bcm light weight, but I replaced it with bcm medium weight.
    Same deal with handgun but I use nra b8 at 25yds.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuyJustARandomGuy
    Participant

And THIS is one of the many reasons I hate trying to help people with their AR buying choices (or any shooting/tac equipment, really)… everything looks the same and most folks just do not “get” that it ain’t. Try to explain that there’s valid differences in materials and workmanship and they start looking at you like you’re crazy….

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of First SergeantFirst Sergeant

And THIS is one of the many reasons I hate trying to help people with their AR buying choices (or any shooting/tac equipment, really)… everything looks the same and most folks just do not “get” that it ain’t. Try to explain that there’s valid differences in materials and workmanship and they start looking at you like you’re crazy….

Trust me, I know how that feels.

Now when someone asks me, I feel them out first. Then I will make a recommendation.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.