Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Army wants a new 6.8mm round

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition Army wants a new 6.8mm round

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DuaneH DuaneH 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TW
    Red Warrior
    Participant

https://www.army.mil/article/212883/army_developing_new_enhanced_night_vision_goggles_squad_rifles_to_increase_soldier_lethality

Interesting. They are going to field a new IR/Thermal system and want a new rifle that uses a 6.8mm round. I wonder if they will just use the 6.8SPC? I’m looking forward to discounted surplus 5.56 ammo if this happens! :good:

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

I doubt this is going anywhere.

IMO, we’ll move away from 5.56 when we move away from traditional brass cases. A whole new ammunition design necessitates a new rifle, that’s when we’ll see something change.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

IMO, we’ll move away from 5.56 when we move away from traditional brass cases. A whole new ammunition design necessitates a new rifle, that’s when we’ll see something change.

What he said.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

I would guess that this is the case as well- I think this is merely the military pitching their “want list” for whatever next-gen weapon they’re going to want to implement, given that I’ve seen a few other releases floating around about new types of ammo being resurrected/researched.
    All the 6.-whatever fanbois need to chill… haha

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Acquisitions like this happen for one of two main reason with some overlap at times:

1. Political

The M17 is a recent example of this.

2. Perceived superior performance

None of these rounds provide usable increase in performance that is significantly better than current issue.

Profile photo of TW
    Red Warrior
    Participant

What he said.

Good to know! I thought I’ve seen requests like this before. 5.56 for 10 cents a round would have been nice though! The Army is dreaming and so am I.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

5.56 for 10 cents a round? If we could turn the clock back to 2007. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Springfield 1861 musket.
    Trapdoor springfield
    Krag-Jorgenson
    1903 Springfield/1917 Enfield
    M1 Garand
    M14
    M16 Family.

With MAYBE the exception of the switch from the Krag to the 1903, every time a new weapon was adopted, there was a significant evolutionary leap with every change.

The issue is that with the current M16 series of weapons that changing the caliber does not provide an evolutionary leap. While a 6, 6.5, 6.8 mm may offer some advantages to the 5.56 it is not the amount of difference as say the Musket to the Trapdoor or even the Garand to M14.

Also keep in mind that the switch from the M14 to M16 wasn’t necessarily the next step US combat rifle development. It was a rethinking of the way we fought and finding a rifle to fit that. The M16 wasn’t specifically designed to do the same things as the previous rifles (lots of lead at long range.) It was designed to do something different (More lead at closer ranges).

What is going on is every few years a committee in the Army explores the idea of adopting a new weapon or cartridge and it makes news.

Unless the United States reverts to the Total Participant Involvement mindset towards war (like we had in WWII), there probably won’t be any changes like that until we are at a peacetime capacity.

As has been stated above, it will probably be precipitated by the next evolution in cartridge development IE: Caseless.

(I suspect that the semi-caseless round will probably be more practical)

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.