Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Atkins Diet as an Emergency means to shed weight.

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Training Nutrition Atkins Diet as an Emergency means to shed weight.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Through the majority of my career I maintained an excellent fitness standard.

Then I was injured and spent a significant time in recovery, during this time I put on about 40 extra pounds. I had to fight to stay active duty. When it was beginning to look like I would be able to stay. I knew in order to transfer had to meet PT standards which required losing the excess weight and passing the PT test.

So I needed a fast way to drop the weight and get up to speed physically.

I ended up choosing the Atkins Diet and by following what is refereed to as the induction phase (normally two weeks), with exercise, and staying on it for 3 months.

I lost 45 lbs in that time, but my ability to to do high intensity activities was lacking big time. I began adding carbs and was able to achieve a good PT score; not my best, but sufficient to transfer to my new assignment.

So I consider the Atkins diet as an excellent emergency means to shed excessive weight that shouldn’t have been there anyway.

However; in my experience, it will not sustain you for typical military endurance standards which relates to our standards.

I thought it might be helpful for some of the Forum members that need to shed excess weight, but as a means to the ends, not as a permanent lifestyle.

YMMV

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

45lbs is a good piece… I was fat twice both do to significant injury/layed up. But fortunately I’m the type that can drop it faster then I gain it. Many cannot. I drink and hold water like a ferret so losing water weight and watching that helped in measuring my over all realistic loss. Ive never used Atkins but I had a pal who used Atkins and it worked for him too when he went back into the Marines. Nothing else worked and he swears by it till this day..

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Maintaining is easier than losing for me, the only problem with Atkins was the lack of high intensity endurance. Just couldn’t maintain anything intense. Weight lifting was fine, bike riding fine, slow jog ok, but it was like I lacked ability to do even wind sprints.

It was definitely right to shed weight quick and slowly introduce carbs until right balance found.

Saved my career.

Profile photo of Greg Owens
    Greg Owens
    Participant

Atkins diet is a bit dated. Jackkruse.com epi-paleo is now state
    of the art for weight loss and health. It is high seafood, high
    fat, moderate protein and low carb with some extraordinary twists
    involving light, magnetism and water. Highly recommended.
    Greg

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Atkins diet is a bit dated.

It may be, but it worked for me and quite a few others that needed this emergency help that I have seen.

To clarify I don’t live Atkins; for me, it’s an emergency measure.

If you have first hand experience with another program please start a thread and detail your experience.

I have not personally seen any other program that duplicated my results of 45 lbs lost in three months.

I am sure there are such programs, but not that I have first hand experience with.

I merely put this out for others consideration.

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

GWNS, I am using Atkins now. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Since mid Feb I’ve lost twenty. I have used it numerous times over the years. It always works. I noticed this time that they have changed some aspects of the plan. I’ve used the 40 Plan that essentially limits you to 40g of carbs. My running times have improved but I sense there is a limit and they say clearly that your maintenance level is a higher number of carbs. Part of my motivation was the discussion on the forum regarding combat fitness and being able to carry the gear you need. Thirty pounds I didn’t need was strapped around my body. That is about what my ruck weighs so that being gone helps!
    Carbs are necessary for peak athletic activity. Using that to justify my favorite IPA or french fries or whatever is bs. I would highly recommend it just to reign in the carb addictions. The challenge will be to maintain discipline as I push the run and TAB times faster.

The only easy day was yesterday

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Atkins diet is a bit dated. Jackkruse.com epi-paleo is now state
    of the art for weight loss and health. It is high seafood, high
    fat, moderate protein and low carb with some extraordinary twists
    involving light, magnetism and water. Highly recommended.
    Greg

So is the M1 Garand but it still can serve a purpose where other weapons fall short..

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thirty pounds I didn’t need was strapped around my body. That is about what my ruck weighs so that being gone helps!

The one thing about losing fat that quick is how much you notice the new bounce in your step afterwards.

If I remember correctly the induction phase was limited to <20g of carbs and I was so pleased with the results I just stayed on it until I lost the desired weight.

So is the M1 Garand…

I was tempted to reply “so am I, but I might just come in handy during an Event!”

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

45 lbs. in three months is impressive!

I dropped 40 inside of 4 months about 6 years ago cutting weight to get into a lower -and more manageable weight class. I lost a lot of muscle in the cut however, and at 171 I looked like a crack head- my Mom even said that LMAO!!! I average 179-183 most of time for the last couple years and have put back on some of the muscle.

One thing is people need to get used to living on reduced caloric intake. For many -that don’t store enough food- this will be a necessity. For others it will be their post SHTF crash diet when the realization of the need truly hits them…..

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The first 20 lbs came off in about 3 weeks. The so called induction phase keeps you on <20g of carbs, I was keeping closer to 11g, but I was extremely diligent measuring everything.

With the high protein and weightlifting I maintained my muscle mass as far as I could tell, but I had little endurance capability.

I lost weight so fast my skin was loose. Once I was beginning to add carbs and the reduced weight (new bounce in my step) the endurance seemed to come fairly quick. I can’t say that there are not better options, but it worked fast which is what I needed.

Probably took me another 6 months to get to my pre-injury performance, but I passed the required PT standard within a month. Normal PT kept me from a relapse weight wise.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The biggest mistakes I’ve seen with Atkins:

Trying to reduce calories while reducing carbs isn’t how it works, calories must stay relatively high according to plan for it to work.

One cheat of more carbs doesn’t just ruin that day, it takes 2 or more days to get back to proper fat burning.

Somethings that have little carbs must still be factored in, because they add up quick. For instance if it said 1 tbs of dressing, it means one measured tbs.

Like I said YMMV, but it worked for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.