Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Beekeepers: Are these worthy or junk?

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching Beekeepers: Are these worthy or junk?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ralph Kramden HiDesertRat 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Groundwork
    Groundwork
    Participant
    Profile photo of Chris
    wigeon
    Participant

Great idea, but for me I will not ever use them. When bees fill their cells with honey, they cap them off, to protect the honey for later usage. When they need it, they just cut the cap off and extract they honey. Would like it if you filled your refrigerator and the next time you opened the door it was empty? I also feel that keepers will start extracting more honey than they should and causing more harm to the hive. Of course if you are a beekeeper, then you know, you should always leave enough honey for the bees to survive. Just my thoughts.

Alumni CTT/CP November 2014 - MVT RC March 2015 Rifleman.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Eeeeh, no. I think I’ll stick with the standard setup.

You want to be able to take your hive “apart” and check your supers and see if you even can or should “rob” honey. Our hives have sucked the last two years, we haven’t pulled honey. We probably could have and totally screwed the bees, but that’s not really sustainability.

Just like with rifles, it’s always a good thing to stay with standard parts as well.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

Eeeeh, no. I think I’ll stick with the standard setup.

me too

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Profile photo of Roger Hilfer
    RotorHead
    Participant

No way. We “take” honey twice a year, but always select the frames (with no brood) and make sure the hive has enough to manage the weather and blooms. Could we take more honey, probably, but a healthy hive is more important than more honey (in the long run). As it is our three hives produced almost 70 lbs of honey this year.

Profile photo of Ralph Kramden
    HiDesertRat
    Participant

Very pricey indeed. Also it is important to inspect your hive frequently for assessing the health of your hive and not sure how this design affects that, plus for other reasons stated above. You might want to look at top bar hives as well since were on the topic of other designs other than the Langstroth design most all know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.