Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Benefits/drawbacks of M16 BCG?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Benefits/drawbacks of M16 BCG?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Easy
    Eric
    Participant

Hey guys…

I was curious what the differences are besides the m16 BCG weighing more?

I have always kept a couple of extra bolts around, and one of them is an M16 style. I am getting ready to put together an 18″ rifle, and thinking about using that BCG. Thoughts?

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man"

Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I know the “M16” BCG’s are popular as of late.

But all they do is add a small amount of moving mass.
    Its perfectly usable but the benefits are dubious.. I mean who has ever, and I mean ever, seen a BCG break?

A M16 BCG could be an advantage of you run hot ammo.. say federal Xm855 on a rifle whit an overspec large gas port..

This can prevent excessive wear on the gun and especially on the bolt and clean up your spent case ejection pattern.

But unless you have that larger gasport otherwise they dont do anything meaningful except the coolness factor

On the contrary if its a in spec gas port, maybe even paired with a heavy buffer (which are also popular lately, go figure) you may lessen reliability as the danger of failure to lock back the BCG or even short stroking increases especially as the rifle gets dirtier (or fires softer loaded ammo).

In summary there is really no practical difference in an M16 BCG’s function over a Semi BCG except where it comes to tuning your gun.

By itself and not in combination with other factors the heavier BCG will do little, to help or mess up, your tuning.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I have all M16 BCG in my rifles. On the off chance Full auto should ever become available again. If bad things should happen, the chance of battlefield pickups are high.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of JohnyMac
    JohnyMac

IMO, the only benefit to rocken a M16 BCG is if you are planning on drilling a few holes and taking a dremel to your lower, post SHTF. ;-)

On another note: Post SHTF I am very happy with the semi function of my long gun. One shot = 1 hit due to ammo reserves.

Freedom Through Self-Reliance
    www.Unchainedpreppers.com/forum

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I have all M16 BCG in my rifles. On the off chance Full auto should ever become available again. If bad things should happen, the chance of battlefield pickups are high.

Yup. Two pins and slap on the picked up lower. Same optics, same zero, etc.

OTOH, I’ve never used hand held auto in combat. We had to qual with it, and most of us could shoot a better score on semi. The time limits were generous though.

If I had an AR15(?) BCG, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That is a really really good point!!!

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DuaneH wrote:</div>

OTOH, I’ve never used hand held auto in combat. We had to qual with it, and most of us could shoot a better score on semi. The time limits were generous though.

If I had an AR15(?) BCG, I wouldn’t sweat it.

In times of chaos, things magically become more available.

I’m jus’ sayin’

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Max
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy wrote:</div>
    Yup. Two pins and slap on the picked up lower. Same optics, same zero, etc.<br>

That is a really really good point!!!

The only drawback for me is the late Andy Ginn worked my trigger group to nearly match grade on standard parts. I’d have to be in danger of being overrun to give that up.

Max
    Keymaster

As far as those battlefield pickups go, you’ll mostly find them with the crappy 3 round burst trigger group, which I could do without. However, the Army is transitioning from the M4 to the M4A1 with the full auto trigger group, so let’s hope this is all academic for at least a few more years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.