Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Best high energy snacks

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Best high energy snacks

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 2 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

There are a lot of choices out there and I’ve tried a few, unfortunately the ones I’ve tried probably have too much sugar and won’t sustain me properly if all I carry is one meal per day on patrol. My go to snack bar are cliff bars. I’m getting a bit tired of those. I’m looking for high energy, high nutrition options from you guys that really have some good experience with these foods. I’m tired of just eating bars. Some wraps or purees to add some variety would be nice. I’ve spent some time at REI looking at some of their options but it becomes paralysis by analysis when there are so many options and they’re not cheap.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Jake
    Weber
    Participant

Check out Soldier Fuel energy bars.

My mom said I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I chose to be a man.

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

If you want energy, convenience and shelf life, energy bars are the handiest way of getting there.

Clif has a variety of products, with all others having fewer grams of carbs and sugar than the regular ol’ Clif bar with 42g carbs.

Clif Builder bar (tastes like a candy bar): 270 cal,8g fat, 30g carbs, 20g protein
    Clif Nut butter: 230 cal, 11g fat, 27g carbs, 7g protein

It’s hard to beat peanut butter for calorie density. It’s mostly fat, so go easy eating it before strenuous activity. Eat in the evening since it takes longer to digest.

Larabar is a good alternative to energy bars if you like dates. 230 cal, 13g fat, 23g carb, 6g protein.

I’m digging Lenny & Larry’s Complete Cookie lately. Two cookie pack has 360 cal, 8g-15g fat, 54g carbs and 16g protein. Eat one with a whey protein shake and you have a pretty decent quick meal.

Alternative;y, eat the MRE snacks on breaks and the entrees for your actual meals.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

I eat these daily… love em! You can usually find them at quality grocery stores, Whole Foods, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/PROBAR-Meal-Chocolate-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B00B97A63Y/ref=pd_sim_121_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PBPBWHRCW8YK38F25216

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

I like the clif builder bars but I don’t eat them every day. I feel like I got real fuel, not a carb blast

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

The Cliff bars are good, we keep a couple of them in chest rigs and the smaller Camelbaks as well as in rucks.

For the guys like me used to having some caffeine regularly. Don’t forget your body will crave that in the field also. Drink more water than you think you need and get a little bit of boost from stuff like the GU Energy gel packets. The ones I’m looking at now have 450 mg. Amino acids, 125 mg Sodium and 20mg Caffeine. They are 1.1 oz packets and you can get them at Academy for about $7. for 8 of them. Have all sorts of good flavors too. Another small item like the Cliff bars that you can fit almost anywhere.

These sorts of things DO NOT substitute for a real meal in the field however, that’s not the point.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I really dig some bars from Kind (I don’t like their “savory” flavors though). As someone else suggested Larabars aren’t bad if you like dates, I went through a phase with them but they became too sweet for my tastes. My favorite are probably from Qi’a, I stumbled upon them at a discount food store.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

And for those with peanut allergy?? (as in death)….

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.