Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Bipod or Not?

Home Forums Precision Rifle Bipod or Not?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 26 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine" Keeper 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

Long rifle, bipod or not?

The only easy day was yesterday

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Definitely.

I don’t know how I’d be able to have a consistent shot process without bipod in the prone position.

Profile photo of Idaho Cajun
    idahocajun
    Participant

Agree, definitely bipod!

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

You should have one but you can shoot off of a ruck or pack too.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

I’ll add this article to the conversation. This enhances @hellokitty‘s comment
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

hellokitty
    Participant

@D Close :good
    Bipod is handy but not essential.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

I have a great Harris bipod with a QD Larue mount. I love this setup but can’t see running it in most of the operations we train at MVT. It just makes the rifle too front heavy. I guess I need more PT.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

hellokitty
    Participant

Or just use your pack.

And I hate to burst anyone’s love for bipods but you can make a field expedient tripod using sticks and paracord. It works just like a bipod and guess what? It doesn’t weigh anything.

Craig S.

hellokitty
    Participant

A link

Craig S.

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

You bastard Hello Kitty. How
    Dare you logically destroy my expensive bipod setup and offer me an almost free option that I could acquire anywhere. Preppers everywhere will unite and hang you for such insolence.
    ;-)

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Or just use your pack.

Have done this for years…….I’ve never tried it for >500 yards (primarily because SE TX was mostly forest or swamp with visibility < 100 yards, unless you’re on a high-line ROW).

Straps to the ground, nice groove between the lower external pouch and the upper, G2G!!

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

You bastard Hello Kitty. How
    Dare you logically destroy my expensive bipod setup and offer me an almost free option that I could acquire anywhere. Preppers everywhere will unite and hang you for such insolence.
    ;-)

Before or after researching to death? :unsure:

RonW

hellokitty
    Participant

:whistle:
    Hehe

Craig S.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

This is the reason most of my packs have black marks on them….

You can pivot better off a pack IMO.

But all of my precision rifles have bipods.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Molle rifle rest for pack.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Rhino11
    rhino11
    Participant

What is the mission?
    Who is the OPFOR?
    What is the terrain?
    Is your weapon belt fed?

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

What is the mission?
    Who is the OPFOR?
    What is the terrain?
    Is your weapon belt fed?

This is a precision rifle sub-forum so no belt fed. How would different terrain dictate you choosing a bipod vs. a pack or improvised rest?

Profile photo of Rhino11
    rhino11
    Participant

One of the lessons learned from PRS and other long range tactical competitions is that, everything else being equal, a bipod allows greater precision than an impromptu rest. Perhaps even more important: the rifle’s reaction to recoil is more easily controlled off a bipod, which means spotting one’s shot and setting up follow up shots is easier/quicker.

The terrain almost always drives the range of likely engagements. The degree of precision necessary for ‘minute of man’ accuracy is less in tight or wooded terrain (think VTC) than it would be out west where potential engagement ranges are likely to be much further out.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

I have used the magazine as a monopod with great success out to 600 yards with AR/M4 type rifles for almost 20 years. I have also used a daypack and a full-size ruck, either lying down for prone, or standing on end for sitting or kneeling. (In my part of the world, prone will often let you see about 25 yards, while sitting/kneeling will let you see many hundred yards.)

A good bipod from prone is definitely the most effective support for a special purpose “precision” or “long range” rifle, but sometimes it is just not workable.

The mag/monopod method is faster and more handy for a general purpose “carbine”, like most of us would most likely carry in a typical MVT class… or in a real life SHTF situation.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of Rhino11
    rhino11
    Participant

There are always trade offs. Is the extra precision possible worth the extra weight and clunkiness? If you are heading out on a raid or ambush, especially if you are your squad’s designated marksman (DM), then probably yes. If you have reason to think the OPFOR may be wearing plates, then your accuracy requirements just became much tougher, especially if your area of operations has much open terrain.

If you have access to a 300 yard range try shooting some groups using both the monopod technique and then off a bipod. See how much time it takes you to put 5 hits on a 9″ plate (paper or steel). Then try it again after doing some burpees.

One addition consideration: not all AR’s function reliably using the monopod technique. I have a Colt which is functions perfectly with GI style mags resting on the ground, but has stoppages when using MAGPUL’s. Does your rifle function reliably with your ‘go to war’ mags pressed firmly into the ground?

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

…One addition consideration: not all AR’s function reliably using the monopod technique. I have a Colt which is functions perfectly with GI style mags resting on the ground, but has stoppages when using MAGPUL’s.

Yes. I have heard this before, but never actually seen a rifle that would malfunction because of the mag/monopod method. None of my half dozen AR types have an issue with it, BUT whatever methods/equipment you plan to use needs to be thoroughly tested before you can rely on it. Changing ammo type, magazine type, or ANY single part can make a huge difference in a given weapon’s reliability.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

I’ve got a very nice Atlas bipod, and it works great for what it is intended to do. I’ve gotten freest use out of it when the terrain allows, but the truth is that for a lot of situations, I end up using something else (like a pack or improvised rest). I’m glad to have the iPod, but it is far from essential.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

I went ahead and got the Atlas for my Savage Model 10 FCP. Thanks for the feedback gents. Very helpful.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

I went ahead and got the Atlas for my Savage Model 10 FCP. Thanks for the feedback gents. Very helpful.

:good: looking forward to hearing your overall thoughts after some time shooting your new setup.

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

same here for the big rifle. But for a smaller battle rifle I would look at the GG&G bi pods lighter then a harris and no springs and more compact

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

same here for the big rifle. But for a smaller battle rifle I would look at the GG&G bi pods lighter then a harris and no springs and more compact

Has anyone had experience with the GG&G?

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

Just got a Magpul Bipod
    very nice more compact than a Harris and cheaper while doing the same function

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.