April 9, 2018 at 2:17 pm #57584
I have had several inquiries about future classes at MVT, for the latter part of 2018 and also 2019. I generally plan about 6 months in advance. I have begun to start to put together the latter part of 2018 and will put some thoughts down below and ask for feedback.
First, booking classes: I have to make decisions as class approaches as to whether to run it or cancel it. Sometime’s for whatever reason, I just have a class scheduled wrong and it just won’t fly. An example of this is the combined HEAT 1/2 in May that I put on because I was misdirected by student demand to do so, and then didn’t get the bookings. So I changed it to a HEAT 2 standalone and it only has two deposits. So as promised, I will make the decision at COB today but it isn’t going to fly.
Now, a class cancellation is no need for widespread panic as to other classes and the future of MVT, sometimes it just happens: I just got back from HEAT 2 this weekend and the class was full, and it was excellent, a really good class and body of students. There only ever will be a certain number for HEAT 2 because it requires HEAT 1 so the base is smaller.
But what you guys need to do, is book classes with a deposit if you intend to go to it. I am not psychic (psychotic maybe) and it doesn’t help when I hear someone say: “I was planning on that class” after I cancel it. I am making decisions 2 and 1 month out on whether class will fly. You need to consider booking a class 3 months out in order for me to see the deposits and know it will run.
Again, to clarify: this does not preclude a later booking, because if the space is there, the system will let you book it (just full price, not deposit only, within 30 days of the class date). But if you are planning on it, get a deposit down 3 months out, so we know we have the numbers. What I will not do anymore, is scramble for class numbers. MVT classes require a certain number due to the teamwork aspect. We need 8 minimum for the tactical live fire classes, and we need as many as we can get (best at 18 or more) for FoF. CLC (HEAT TEAM LEADER) needs 13 exactly.
There is another aspect here, and that is that you don’t know what you don’t know. HEAT 2 is not the old combat patrol, in the first or later iterations. Yo haven’t “done that.” This is tied in with the development of both the VTC and the curriculum. This is what the tactical classes (with the exception of Texas and perhaps Scott travelling for mobile handgun and HEMS classes) are focusing mainly at the VTC. Why? Because the facility supports training to the best level. You should think about the VTC like you may think of, for example going to Gunsite / Thunder Ranch etc. The focus is not on mobile classes but on what we can bring you at the VTC. Don’t hold your breath for mobile tactical classes.
That said, we are going to bring you these Alumni Live Fire weekends. I posted in another thread about this HERE. This is designed to bring alumni back into the fold for a weekend only class, maximum live fire and drills, update people, do a cook out, charge you only $300 and add some wrinkles and really great training value.
That said, I am looking at the following. Please be aware that I am scheduling around my own commitments, as I know that you have to, and thus I may be limited with choice of certain weekends. However, I would encourage comment at to whether certain dates fly or not – school holidays, scheduling, let me know what is good and bad. The dates I suggest ARE NOT the schedule, but an outline plan for scheduling. Please understand that.
Outline Plan (first pass):
Cancel HEAT 2 May and replace with Alumni Live Fire 26-27 May. Short notice, but it is only a Saturday / Sunday so is achievable.
Rest of schedule remains the same. July onward:
July: nothing scheduled yet.
August 4-5 or 11-12: Alumni Live Fire.
August 23-26: HEAT 1.
September 15-16: Force on Force Team Tactics.
Oct 14-21: HEAT Combat Leader
November 1-4 or 8-11: HEAT 2. I would prefer the latter dates, but it includes Veterans Day. Is this is good thing or a bad thing for a class?
We usually shut the tactical classes down over the winter after the last class in November, and resume again with Texas in February. Texas 2019 is actually already posted, I just did not announce it yet.
Please feel free to comment on the dates and make scheduling comments or suggestions. I am trying to avoid booking dud dates. I have not included any of Scott’s classes here, he will usually fit those in once we have scheduled the tactical classes. Also, not on Johns such as CQBC or LRMS.
You may note that I am only running at primarily one class a month. That is because I am trying to schedule while leaving space for SF bookings.April 9, 2018 at 3:06 pm #57585RobMParticipant
Alumni live fire weekend sounds like a great idea and keeps one able to train throughout the year. I should be able to make the 26-27 May class. Let me check with the wife and confirm.
Hopefully we can get a good group of guys out there even though it’s Memorial Day weekend and some will be traveling.
RS+CTT, HEAT 2April 9, 2018 at 3:16 pm #57586
WTF? That is memorial day weekend? How did I not spot that? This is exactly what I was referring to needing feedback. No wonder the HEAT 2 is empty…..balls.April 9, 2018 at 3:39 pm #57587mdbjjcParticipant
HeAT 2 in July? Last two weekends work for me.April 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm #57588
Prob not july.
Following up on the memorial weekend cluster. We discussed for the alumni live fire the weekend 1.5 day training and we discussed a saturday night cookout. We also discussed potntially bringing spouses to the cookout. Does this work on memorial weekend, and in that configuration? Or an alternative would be do the cookout on Sunday afternoon? Is there any interest in making this more of a family event, even with spectators at a suitable distance to the live fire?
To be clear: normal concept is satrday sundag 1.5 days live fire, cookout saturday night. Specifically for May memorial day, how would we change that?
I don’t expect hundreds in May, but would see it as a beta weekend foe August.April 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm #57590RobMParticipant
I don’t see my wife wanting to attend. I think the cookout should be Saturday night. That way it may not interfere with Memorial Day cookout plans. That way we can leave the VTC on Sunday at a reasonable time and still have Monday (Memorial Day for observance).
RS+CTT, HEAT 2April 9, 2018 at 7:21 pm #57594RobertParticipant
Memorial Day weekend could be a snafu for some folks.
RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18April 9, 2018 at 7:33 pm #57596
Yes I am aware of that. That is clearly why HEAT 2 did not book. It is what it is. For those closer, you get some awesome training Saturday, alumni cookout, half a day Sunday, back home Sunday PM, Memorial Day at home.
If the first one does not go large, it does not matter.
Also need feedback on which weekend of the first 2 in August to schedule the next one on.April 9, 2018 at 7:53 pm #57599
Following calendar conference with wife, we are looking at:
Aug 4-5: Alumni Weekend.
Aug 23-26: HEAT 1.
Sep 15-16: FoF.
Oct 14-21: HEAT Combat Leader.
Nov 1-4: HEAT 2
Ok, please speak up about clashing dates. Obviously not personal to you, but huge issues such as memorial day, labor day, school holidays etc. This will prevent dud scheduling such as seen with HEAT 2 end of May (I recall a full patrol class over Memorial Day one year. But that was when preppers were afraid).April 10, 2018 at 9:07 am #57615osozorroParticipant
A note regarding folks saying “Ah, Max I was planning on that class… booo”. Alumni aside. It could very well be that they “planned” to go to that class just like all the others that have preceded it but they are to afraid to commit and test themselves. Therefore when it cancels they can stroke themselves off saying its Max’s fault I haven’t gotten proper training. Some people are all talk.April 10, 2018 at 9:46 am #57618wheelseeParticipant
It’s about priorities and yes, I get it, life pulls at all of us. However, at some point in time, “ya gotta cut bait or fish”, “crap or get off the pot”, etc. When I did TX 2017, I made the decision before the class was even over, that I’d be back for 2018. This gave me a year to PT, buy ammunition, save money for the class, and schedule time off. Having finished TX 2018, I’ve already committed to 2019…….
Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon
Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)
If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc
William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018, HEAT 2/FonF 2019April 10, 2018 at 10:13 am #57619
Ok, so not much feedback coming in on dates. So I will just go ahead and do it, as I usually do.
Well done for contributing. Not.April 10, 2018 at 10:31 am #57623JohnnyMacParticipant
I should be GTG for May alumni training weekend, for august’s I’m on vacation. I should be tentatively GTG for FoF, budget depending (damn taxes!).April 10, 2018 at 11:07 am #57625TCParticipant
No date conflicts here. HEAT 2 in November is my top priority. Can do FoF in September depending on finances. I want to take the Combat Leader class but feel like I should get HEAT 2 down first.
SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018April 10, 2018 at 11:45 am #57628JohnnyMacParticipant
I want to take the Combat Leader class but feel like I should get HEAT 2 down first.
You could still go to Heat TL (CLC) as a rifleman, you would learn a TON!April 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm #57634ctpelokParticipant
May 26-27 Alumni LFW – Cannot make it due to prior commitments.
July 14-15 DH – I am in, as well as my wife, will book asap.
August 4-5 Alumni LFW – I am in, will book asap.
September 15-16 FoF – I am in, as well as my oldest son.
Dimitri P.April 10, 2018 at 7:10 pm #57646incipientParticipant
I am putting HEAT 2 (Nov 1-4) on my calendar. If I can get that Fri/Sat off of work, I will go ahead and put deposit down. Unfortunately I won’t know if I can get those days off until June. Will update.
In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop...April 10, 2018 at 9:15 pm #57670
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.