Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Building out 80% receiver for OPSEC reasons

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Building out 80% receiver for OPSEC reasons

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DiznNC DiznNC 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

What do y’all think about the concept of building out 80% receivers for OPSEC. My thought is that they are impossible to trace and could be cached with ammo and magazines without worry of some Regime support finding them, turning them in, and tracing them back to me or the original purchaser I bought them from. Also, I can build out a 1.5 min of accuracy 5.56 AK for about $450 plus optics and magazines, so I can build 2 for every AR I could buy.

At this point it seems like a good Idea…anyone come up with anything I’m missing

Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

I’d say the raid on Ares Armor shoots holes in your OPSEC theory. I realize they were polymer lowers, but what’s to say ATF won’t make a similarly arbitrary decision about some other vendor?

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Well, BJ, the problem with that is the increased scrutiny these kits have been getting lately. Even though supposedly legal, the AFT doesn’t want you to have them, so they have been on the warpath lately trying to shut some mfg’s and vendors down. If you ordered from certain companies, you’re name is on one of their lists.

Better to just buy a lower, cash, across the table at a gunshow right now (in states where your CCW permits this). Even though still on file, much lower profile overall right now, IMHO.

Or just buy second-hand with no paperwork. Although this is a gray area, it happens all day long, and the feds (as yet) aren’t prosecuting for it.

The last thing I would be trying to buy right now is a 80% lower. It’s not as secure as you think.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Max
    Keymaster

Unless you paid for all needed tools, parts, ammunition, and magazines with cash and had the foresight for picking them up at an anonymous mailing addresses, they can be traced from the place you bought them from. The ATF has already raided an 80% receiver manufacturer, and despite a court issued restraining order, a retailer selling 80% receivers and ALL customer information. Investigators are very good at their jobs tracing all sorts of things. Hypothetically thinking out loud here, but did you know that retailers sell their customer lists on a regular basis?

Profile photo of JohnyMac
    JohnyMac

Here is a good purchasing procedure on ammo or weapons – Pay Cash!

I haven’t purchased ammo on line using a CC in years. I buy it all with a USPS check. The cost for the check is minimal when compared to the pease of mind you receive.

The same goes for 80% lowers.

Please keep in mind that the BATF&E was only interested in the composite lowers not the aluminum ones.

On another note: Private citizens are selling 80% lowers. Again, USPS checks are the cats-meow.

Freedom Through Self-Reliance
    www.Unchainedpreppers.com/forum

Profile photo of Thomas
    Thomas
    Participant

Sorry to bust your Opsec bubble, but USPS money orders are extremely traceable. That is why they are considered secure. Look closely and you will see the date stamp on the money order. That can be correlated to the date stamp on the surveillance video captured in the facility where the money order was purchased. They are serial numbered as well and that ties them to a specific facility.

Opsec is face to face, cash only. With the number of surveillance cameras now in use, that method may not be very secure.

Remember that a person had to cash the money order and that is a traceable transaction as well.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Those of you in Free States should buy used , face to face , with cash.

Profile photo of CW
    CW
    Participant

Just an FYI guys, but most CCTV cameras are IR- sensitive. With a little money (maybe twenty dollars) and around an hour’s worth of time, you can build a hat that’ll defeat most CCTV cameras.

http://www.ranamacar.blogspot.com/2009/04/ir-led-ballcap.html

My phone is acting up at the moment, so I can’t post a picture of this in action, but if you do a quick search for “ir led ball cap”, you’ll see some.

Max
    Keymaster

I am surprised no one has mentioned Armslist? Has that website fallen out of favor with the firearms community?

Profile photo of George Haystack
    George Haystack
    Participant

Building an 80% receiver for opsec reasons makes sense. Discussing it on the internet, not so much.

Not trying to bust anyone’s balls, but if your intentions are stated online, you should assume your enemy can know what you’re doing.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If it helps you sleep at night, fine. What are your goals and objectives (you don’t have to tell me)?

Realistically?

Here are some bubble busters:

When they come door to door!
    “I’ll say I sold my guns!” I don’t care if you have notarized receipts witnessed by a judge, you are going to jail or camp!

If your on this forum (among many), your OPSEC regarding .gov is blown.

If you have ever in the past bought firearms/accesories on credit, it’s too late.

If you have ever done a Form 4473 for a politically incorrect weapon its too late.

One of my favorites: Don’t talk, post, or email (insert whatever subject here), we don’t want them to know what we are doing!

Don’t discuss tactics, they’ll know our plan!

Look I am not trying to totally dismiss OPSEC, but in reality OPSEC is much more about neighbors, friends, family, and miscellaneous dirt bags you don’t want showing up uninvited Pre or POST-SHTF. Most would be shocked at what .gov knows about them.

Profile photo of JohnyMac
    JohnyMac

GWNS :good: You are right!

Google your name and see what pops up ;-)

Freedom Through Self-Reliance
    www.Unchainedpreppers.com/forum

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Yeah I’m kinda of the same mind here. This whole thing about opsec is probably too little too late. In my case, I have been buying AR-15 related parts and products since the 80’s. Not to mention clothing and equipment. I have been active on-line since about ’04 or so. To think I’m not on their lists for some kind of shit is delusional. The only ones you hide from are like-minded folks you need to be net-working with while you can.

For now, stay away from full-auto conversions, short bbls, cans, explosives, and it would probably be a good idea to stay away from 80% lowers as well. And people that are doing these things right now. These are the triggers that bring these assholes to your door. Right now.

As long as they leave me alone, I will leave them alone. When they begin to round up all the guys on these lists, it’s go time, then.

Get in front of this. Stop worrying about being on a .gov list. Just assume it’s already a done deal and get ready.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.