Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Built a small scale green house yesterday

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching Built a small scale green house yesterday

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

Is any of that technology transferable to “regular” crops?

Yes, there are ways to increase productivity for small areas using some of those techniques. Grow lights? Not so much for the investment.

I have looked casually at strip LEDs used for indoor growing, the power reqs are much lower than the traditional HID ( weed lights). I may use them for supplemental ‘daytime’ next winter but I need to do some design with power etc and if I can get enough energy from solar stored for the number of hours/day I want to run the LEDs, I win.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have looked casually at strip LEDs used for indoor growing, the power reqs are much lower than the traditional HID ( weed lights).

With the right solar setup to power it, this would certainly give one great flexibility.

Also aquaponics could really overcome ones dependency on many outside food sources, assuming you enjoy fish.

Here is a Purdue University video on aquaponics it is more geared towards a commercial grade setup, but is a good overview for those unfamiliar with aquaponics.

I’ve been slowly gathering up the supplies needed for a medium sized system (free stuff), leaning towards catfish vice tilapia. There is plenty of good information online, I would highly recommend anyone serious about this possibility to build a small scale tabletop version to get a feel for it before just diving in on a larger system.

It is really much simpler than it looks to the uninitiated.

the aquaponics ‘trick’ is to get the system to the balance point without all your fish dying. Catfish is a good idea, set the thing up with cheap goldfish and when it balances out, add the predators……

Profile photo of Janejane
    Participant

What is everyone growing this year and why?

I eat lots of salads, so am planting a lot of greens like arugula, lettuce, peppers, broccoli. Kale to trade with my neighbors. 50 tomato plants – about 20 of those sungolds, great for salads and also for the neighbors. The rest either beefsteaks or sauce tomatoes – I do a lot of canning – sauces for chili and barbecue. Garlic & onions for flavorings. And cauliflower and Brussels.

wow
    50 tomato plants is a jungle in the making!!

Profile photo of Janejane
    Participant

Sean, that is actually down from years past….. last year it was 56, and the year prior to that it was 66! My mix has also changed. I have more plants of the cherry type tomatoes (sungold is my favorite, the sweetest and heaviest producer I have found), and less of the beefsteak and paste. I still do quite a bit of those too however. Most of them end up in spaghetti sauce (I use for no-pasta zucchini lasagna, keto pizza, chili, etc) or barbeque sauce. I do a lot of canning – making sauce really uses up a LOT of tomatoes!

I am starting these from seed tonight. It has been cold here lately (below freezing at nights), but I am planting the cooler weather crops out in the garden over the next week.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.