Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Can You ID This Malfucntion?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Can You ID This Malfucntion?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Take a look at the photos before you read this. Left to right in the top picture, fired brass, malfunction round, live round. Bottom picture is looking at the top of the malfunction round.

I’ll wait.

This happened on Tac Range 1 on day 3 of class. If I wasn’t standing behind the student when the malfunction happened, I would not have seen the case eject. When it hit the ground I noticed that it looked odd.

The student was firing then had a failure to fire. He did a tap, rack and started firing again. He stated afterwards that when he went to rack that he initially thought it was a bolt override because the charging handle didn’t move as easily as normal. He put a little more umpf in it and it ejected the round.

Here’s what happened. The first round fired, the case split in half, the rifle ejected the lower part of the case and left the upper half in the chamber. Bolt picks up a new round and chambers it shoving it into the case left in the chamber, but it doesn’t go into battery. He got a dead trigger, did a tap, rack as described above and finished the drill.

He was using ammo that was described as reloads using once fired brass. It looks like a case that has been reloaded one to many times.

When you reload rifle brass you have to resize it. That stretches the brass. Then you have to trim it to the correct length. Rifle brass can only be reloaded 4-5 times.

Be aware of where you get your ammo from. Don’t use reloads as your SHTF ammo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

This is a good reason to really practice your malfunction clearance and carry a backup gun. I also carry an extraction tool on my gear for this.

This falls into the parts breakage/ammunition failure category that normal malfunction clearance drills aren’t designed to address.

I’ve seen a primer pop out and wedge itself under the trigger because of reloaded ammo. You’re basically carrying a big oddly shaped metal stick at that point.

Like 1SG said, don’t use reloaded ammo as your go-to-war stock.

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

One example of cheap insurance:

BROWNELLS – BROKEN SHELL EXTRACTOR

$19.99

Others available!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.