Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

CASEVAC: The hardest Thing You Will Ever Do

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Tactical Combat Casualty Care CASEVAC: The hardest Thing You Will Ever Do

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of D Close D Close 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

The title of this topic is a quote you will often hear me say. I will also tell you that the other hardest thing is locating the enemy. I have written in related posts on the Lite Fight Concept about the need to have a QRF, to have vehicles for resupply and casevac.

If you take a casualty in a small team, you will be hard pressed to evacuate them, especially under fire. If you are just reading this on the internet and not actively training, then you have no chance (BFYTW). You will either leave them, or strong-point and wait for help. If you have communications and help coming, you may be able to hold the enemy off long enough to get that QRF to you. But the enemy may well maneuver on your static position. It just depends who and what.

The video below is the death of Private Gray and is from Helmand in 2007, when I was also there (I was not at this incident). This was a close range TIC (Troops In Contact) in the trees as you can see in the video. Yelling is SGT Panter. I looked for this video and the version below is basically the only one out there – it has been heavily sanitized and does not quite show the difficulties I was looking for when I searched for it. In the original, it shows Panter yelling a LOT at the guys moving the casualty on the hammock (Brit Hammocks doubled as litters). They are struggling and the cunt word is used! In the version below, it is more about the Chinook and it briefly shows them running between the walls. One of the issues with the hammock as a litter is the straps getting down and under people’s feet.

You may not have a Chinnook, but you may have an ATV or UTV, or truck. You may have medics with the QRF, or medics to take the casualty back to. You need to plan this.

Here is more of Sgt Panter. They are always alive when you get there. This is exactly why we have the manikins on the ranges at the VTC.

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

So true. I took a TC3 class last year and one of the drills had us drag and carry a buddy 50 yards each way. No firing, just get him moved. Quite an effort and unsustainable over any real distance. Adding a second man helped some but only held off the inevitable.

For those who haven’t done it I suggest you try to get an adult off the ground and onto your shoulders and go for a short walk. Illuminating…

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

As we keep telling students, this is the hardest thing to do.

Afghanistan 2006. An dismounted infantry squad made contact. Almost immediately the squad was combat ineffective due to the number of casualties. They needed support to get the living and the dead out. 6 WIA and 1 KIA. It took my heavy weapons platoon plus 2 more squads to effect that.

Since we were not in the initial contact, we had to move to it. We then had to locate the enemy, suppress them and then send in a medic and other guys to get the WIA’s out first. Last one out was the KIA.

All of this takes time and is manpower intensive. Some of the WIA’s had to be carried by litter, some of them walked out on their own power. The guys going in to carry out the WIA’s and KIA had to make several trips into their location to get them out. Why? We couldn’t spare anybody else that was on the firing line.

To get 7 out, it 25 of us. If I remember right, may have been a couple more or a couple less.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

We did a CASEVAC during Combat Patrol. To get a single man up the road maybe 100 yds took most of a squad. I thought I was going to die myself. If you keep two guys on security that is about the best we could do. This was with Max acting as squad leader.

The only easy day was yesterday

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.