Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Chamber area cleaning

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Chamber area cleaning

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Going to the range yesterday with J and some relatives, his CAR15 got a spent round stuck in the chamber. He tried all the normal malfunction drills and nothing cleared it.

When we got home he beat the casing out with a rod and I again stressed the importance of cleaning that chamber area. Both ARs I previously owned experienced this problem, one leaving me hanging one time in not the best spot.

So I had him use the SLIP2000 cleaner in the package that 1stSgt gave us, versus Hoppes or anything else we typically use. Using a GI chamber brush and the Slip cleaner, I had him spent a lot of time in the chamber area. Then quite a few Q tips later, it looked pretty good.

Question- the SLIP cleaner has some huge warnings about it drying out the metal, assume similar to when you use Simple Green as a degreaser on gun parts. I had him put a little of the SLIP 2000 oil also in the chamber area. The Slip cleaner warned to re-oil every spot the cleaner was used on, due to the drying action.

Was it wrong to put some slip OIL in the chamber area? It wasn’t gushy or anything, just enough to recoat the metal there.

Also, what else can we be doing for the chamber areas? As I’ve had this problem now with 3 separate AR’s, no matter the manufacturer, no matter the ammo, etc. This has been and will continue to be an area I want to be anal about cleaning.

GI chamber brush still the ticket or is there something better? SLIP cleaner ok. to use in there? SLIP oil in there (lightly) afterwards?

Ammo that was being used was Fiochi brass cased, nice clean ammo at $300. per K so this can’t be blamed on Wolf. Happened previously in the same manner with a Colt, an SGW also, so build doesn’t seem to really matter. Have seen the same thing in about 6 other AR’s of various makes of friends as well.

Personally, I probably spend more time cleaning the chamber area than I do anything else on that platform, due to being in this position a time or twelve previously. J has realized now that this is a major sticking point in that platform as well.

What else can we do better here?

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up…… I only run a bore snake through mine (>6K rounds, Wolf, PMC, AE, Federal amongst others). I did thoroughly clean after UTM (after the above round count of center-fire ammunition). I have never had any trouble…..

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

No issues putting a light coat in the chamber after cleaning.

GI chamber brush is the best way to clean the chamber.

You seem to have the damnedest luck with AR’s. ;-)

In the past 5 years my son has had 2 stuck cases in his BCM. Both were some ammo that we were testing out. The company was using once fired brass to reload with. That company is no longer in business.

I have never had one in any of my AR’s that I can remember and I never had one with an issue rifle before I retired,

I seriously can’t remember the last time I took a chamber brush to any of my AR’s.

Couple of questions for you. Was any other ammo shot through the rifle before this range trip? If so, what was it? Was the rifle cleaned before this range trip?

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Was any other ammo shot through the rifle before this range trip? If so, what was it? Was the rifle cleaned before this range trip?

I’m guessing no on the cleaning, but maybe only a couple hundred rounds since cleaning before that. I tried a little steel cased in that rifle a good while back, but it’s been a while back and at least one cleaning progressed since.

I’m not getting how the hell everyone is not cleaning the chamber area and not having these? :wacko:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

I’m not getting how the hell everyone is not cleaning the chamber area and not having these? :wacko:

Is your range built atop an Indian burial ground? Failure to Extract might be caused by tight chamber, some kind of burr or pitting in the chamber, wrong buffer weight, worn extractor or extractor spring, lacquer if steel cased ammo was coated, or excessive carbon fouling from steel case. :unsure:

For reference I run Wolf Gold .223 in a BCM upper without issue in 3.5k rounds cleaning every 1k rounds.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

No I just think every AR I touch came out of an Indian burial ground LOL.

So far so good on the new M&P one, haven’t broke 1K yet on that one. The big problems I see with these tend to come after about 1,500 rounds or so.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of Jamison
    Jamison
    Participant

Like everyone else, I just run a bore snake through mine, every 500-1000 rounds or so.

I only use brass cased ammo. The only time I ever had a suck case was with reman ammo, I won’t buy it again and it was good training anyways, makes sense to keep a gi cleaning rod with your kit.

It sucks when it happens.

Does the lacquer from steel cases come off with standard cleaning? I might suggest break or carb cleaner on the chamber with a chamber brush, then make sure you rinse and oil afterwards. :yes: or if you have access the good ole solvent tank works well too. Just make sure you oil again after. Seriously, I don’t ever use steel with lacquered cases. Also, I have access to a solvent tank they I use every three to five thousand rounds or so.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations.

Nulla fatere. Nega omnia. Accusatis calumniatorem. Demanda probationem.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

The one thing I’ve heard over and over is to avoid steel case with ARs.
    Back in the day (80’s and early 90’s) there was no steel case ammo in the US (at least I never bought any). And I still had that problem with a Colt Match Hbar and an SGW CAR15. We shot a lot of Federal .223 back then, all brass cased and expensive.

Guess I’ll keep my eye on it further. Cleaning the chamber area is part of the cleaning ritual for me. It was this malfunction that made me walk away from ARs, because it cannot really be addressed in contact.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I don’t know what to tell ya, except that you are cursed. ;-)

One of the problems that I have seen is this. Guys will run steel through an AR, not clean the chamber and then run brass. They will start having stuck cases.

Steel does not fire form to the chamber so it allows crap to blow back into the chamber. Then when you run brass, which does form to the chamber when fired, you start getting stuck cases.

Make of the rifle?

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Robert, it’s your love of the AK. The AR family of rifles is cursing you because of this ill fated love you have of the communist implement of war. AR’s simply hate you.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Steel does not fire form to the chamber so it allows crap to blow back into the chamber. Then when you run brass, which does form to the chamber when fired, you start getting stuck cases.

Ooooohhhhh…I’m getting rid of some steel-cased that I’ve had laying around for years. I’ve never fired any through my BCM. I figure maybe I’ll sell it to a prepper. ;-)

Robert, it’s your love of the AK. The AR family of rifles is cursing you because of this ill fated love you have of the communist implement of war. AR’s simply hate you.

Karma??? :-)

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Come to think of it, I have felt ill will from that platform since 1991 :good: LOL

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

This thread made me realize that I don’t actually have a good setup to clean the chamber. My cleaning kit consists of either a 42″ Tipton rod with bore guide or a OTIS pull through. The short handle rod I have has a freely spinning handle, so I can’t produce torque to clean a chamber very well.

What is the recommended field kit? Just pick up something from BrigadeQM or is there another place for a compact cleaning kit with sectioned rods?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

This thread made me realize that I don’t actually have a good setup to clean the chamber. My cleaning kit consists of either a 42″ Tipton rod with bore guide or a OTIS pull through. The short handle rod I have has a freely spinning handle, so I can’t produce torque to clean a chamber very well.

What is the recommended field kit? Just pick up something from BrigadeQM or is there another place for a compact cleaning kit with sectioned rods?

I don’t know that their is anything other than the GI cleaning kit that’s designed to do that job. @1stSgt will probably chime in soon and let us know.

The actual chamber brushes I’ve seen at Gander before and picked up a bunch, but most commercial rods seem kinda flimsy for the torque you need.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I use the usgi type chamber brush on a section of brass rod with a cordless drill on low speed.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I have a chamber brush. I just don’t think I produce enough torque on it to really scrub anything out. I’ve gotten by with some light scrubbing, copious amounts of M-pro 7 and an improved chamber mop (old pistol bore brush wrapped with a patch)

I just don’t think that particular kit, along with my long cleaning rod and bore guide are very practical for field use.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Beware of using too much physical force, particularly with non-chrome lined chambers. The uneven wear created could/will lead to additional stuck cases.

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Ive got a chrome lined chamber and am gentle with the force on the brush. the rotation of the brush keeps the chamber nice and polished. I also only clean about every 500 – 1000 rounds.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of libertycalls
    libertycalls
    Participant

worn extractor or extractor spring,

This is what I would check. I had a brand new AR go through about 80 rounds then start to have extractor issues. It turns out there was a bur on the important part of the extractor that was preventing full contact with the case rim. It looked like a defect from the factory because the metal had been coated with a finish with the burr underneath.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Found this tool at a surplus store in Hinesville the other day. Just tried it out on another rifle and it’s simple to use. I expected more resistance turning it however.

Anyone use one of these?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.