Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Check Your Gear

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Check Your Gear

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Darkrivers Darkrivers 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

How many of you regularly check your daily carry gear? Holsters, mag pouches, pistols, lights and belts?

Here are some things that you need to do.

1. Check screws on holsters and mag pouches to make sure they haven’t come loose.
    2. Have spare screws on hand in case you loose one.
    3. Have spare belt loops on hand in case one of them breaks.
    4. Check metal hardware for rust.
    5. Rotate your carry mags. Don’t always use the same one in the gun and the same one as a spare.
    6. Check flashlights to make sure they still work.
    7. Set up a schedule to change flashlight batteries. Doesn’t matter if they still work. Set a schedule and stick to it.
    8. Check retention screws on holsters and mag pouches to make sure they still have good retention.
    9. Have a spare holster and mag pouch. Murphy gets a vote and stuff breaks.
    10. Rotate your carry ammo. When was the last time you fired your carry ammo? I rotate mine every 6 months. When I go to the range, I fire my current carry ammo and load new.
    11. When was the last time you cleaned your pistol. Pistols pick up all kinds of lint, sweat and dead skin cells. Clean your damn gun.
    12. If your belt is worn out, get a new one.

And to show that I am not exempt from this. Below is picture if my mag/flashlight carrier. I wear this everyday.

Check your gear. You can’t just get this stuff and forget about it. You have to do preventative maintenance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

:mail:
    Good notes as always. Preventive maintenance is the best maintenance, especially when you are talking about gear like this. Some of this I had already in my rotational schedule… but not all of it and glad you did the post.

As far as that rust…I would like to take the time to blame the rain that likes to follow you to the VTC that helps enhance our training.
    :yes:

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

PMCS :good:

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Just checked my 19 besides the usual lint the backside of the slide lock was rusted and stuck to the frame.

First Sergeant

As far as that rust…I would like to take the time to blame the rain that likes to follow you to the VTC that helps enhance our training. :yes:

I wish it would stop.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

I also took a few minutes to “dust out” my EDC holster today after reading this post…man the funk in that was crazy.

Sort of off your main point but an old habit I picked up and still do is burn (BIC lighter) loose threads from gear (buttons, around pockets) It may just be a bad habit I picked up that serves no purpose. My “logic” from what I was instructed was that that stray thread gives more of a chance for stuff to start coming undone and fall apart on you. (may be BS and overkill but I still do it) even on non-tactical gear…drives me crazy could just be my OCD

Another side note. I sent of the Smiths to see if they will make good on them under warranty. (eye pro is important and finding out at class stuff is cracked or broken is not the best time for all of this) check your simple stuff also and bring extra of the critical items. If you don’t use them chances are someone else (that are not members of the forums to soak up all this knowledge) will need some help.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Burning loose threads (“irish pannants”) is one of those military habits.
    https://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/lingo/irish-pennants
    The military definitely instills “attention to detail” to the point of OCD in you.
    Not to be ashamed of, it’s a trait that keeps you more on top of things in daily life and alive when you need to be aware that something isn’t right.

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

Burning loose threads (“irish pannants”) is one of those military habits.

LOL my DI referred to them as ropes and I was doing that last night when getting my clothes and EDC ready for work this morning. Checked my IWB thanks to @First Sergeant found some loose screws, never assume everything is squared away check it often.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I posted this in a much earlier subject post.

NW LA had a road deputy that had a firearm that wouldn’t cycle at his annual qual. The armorer couldn’t get the slide back. It was sent back to S&W for repair…….the armorer received a call from S&W asking why superglue had been poured into it…..that deputy had gone through a nasty divorce earlier…..how long had he been on patrol with a non-functioning firearm??

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Davidcole
    Davidcole
    Participant

I posted this in a much earlier subject post.

NW LA had a road deputy that had a firearm that wouldn’t cycle at his annual qual. The armorer couldn’t get the slide back. It was sent back to S&W for repair…….the armorer received a call from S&W asking why superglue had been poured into it…..that deputy had gone through a nasty divorce earlier…..how long had he been on patrol with a non-functioning firearm??

Now that sucks

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Looks like I’m a bit overdue on the PMCS. Thanks, Top!

Attachments:

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

Ive seen leather holsters that had shrunk and the weapon could not be pulled out and the holster had to be cut off the gun. First Sergeant is right. Don’t die because you didn’t spend 10 minutes cleaning your gear!

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Spent the day using a chain saw helping neighbors cutup trees post Irma.

So even though my M9 is covered by t-shirt with AIWB carry, got quite a bit of saw dust in. I test fired it with no problems, but how much does it take?

Of course sweating my rear end off here in Florida I have to wipe it down daily and lube to prevent rust when working outdoors.

I didn’t think about it until now, but tomorrow will take a picture. Not as bad as the talcum powder sand overseas though.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Dont discount your spare mags either. At first glance my top round was clean and shiny, however when i popped it out the rounds beneath were covered with lint and fuzz

First Sergeant

When was the last time you checked your gear?

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Justin
    incipient
    Participant

Had all of mine out yesterday. Battle belt is getting too big, might have to buy a smaller size. :good:

In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop...

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

When was the last time you checked your gear?

This morning, before we got out of bed, worked fine. B-)

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Yesterday. Cleaned my carry gun and checked the rounds in the mags.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

I check mine several times a week, even daily. Working out in the heat and brush, I sweat profusely, and even with a high shirt/sweat guard on my kydex hoster I still get moisture in the chamber on my glock. Also, check my gear for wear too, etc…

~ Little - South Texas

Darkrivers
    Participant

@brushpopper
    Check out the ventcore holsters from stealthgear USA, you can get an option called the sweaty special. I work outside in the heat in Austin and this holster keeps my gun dry even when I am sweating buckets. Super comfortable as well.

Attachments:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

@darkrivers I may have to check that out, thanks!

~ Little - South Texas

Darkrivers
    Participant

I may have a lightly used one for a glock 17 coming up for sale in a couple weeks.If I sell it it will be a lot cheaper. Might be selling that gun locally.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.