Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Coldest Town in the World

Home Forums The Lounge Coldest Town in the World

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Damn interesting story. Worth the time to watch.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of tahawus
    tahawus
    Participant

Thanks for posting @firstsergeant. This reminds me of the route described by Slavomir Rawicz in “The Long Walk”. He was sent to a Siberian labor camp for the crime of being an officer in the Polish military. Escaped, and took a land route to British India. Interesting read, but there seems to be some controversy over the truth of the account.

Regardless, the “road of bones” was part of their trip on foot to the labor camp.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Thanks for posting @firstsergeant. This reminds me of the route described by Slavomir Rawicz in “The Long Walk”. He was sent to a Siberian labor camp for the crime of being an officer in the Polish military. Escaped, and took a land route to British India. Interesting read, but there seems to be some controversy over the truth of the account.

Regardless, the “road of bones” was part of their trip on foot to the labor camp.

I read that book years ago. I also followed the controversy that surrounded it.

Talking about “The Road of Bones”. During WW2 on the Eastern Front the Soviets used German POW’s in a similar manner. When they were working on a road and needed fill they would force live POW’s to lay down and cover them in water. Effectively freezing them alive into solid blocks of ice. They would then be made part of the road bed.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

I’m sure everyone knows it but cold dry air just sucks the moisture out of you. At my deer camp which is a shipping container I’ll wake up in the AM and the inside if the wind is not just right to ventilate it the inside will be coated in frost, and all of it from my breath for 8 hours.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Just to emphasize the point, -71.2°C is -96.2°F which is unbelievably harsh and beyond most people’s comprehension!

The coldest real-time temperature (not wind chill corrected) I have experienced is -65°F in Greenland.

I’ve done the boiling water trick. ;-)

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.