Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Combat Grade .308 AR

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Combat Grade .308 AR

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig) hellokitty 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

There have been several posts on milspec, dependable, combat grade regular ol’ 5.56 ARs. What’s the opinion on a reliable .308 AR for patrol purposes?

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Support Side
    ffhounddog
    Participant

The only ones I have used have been a Knights and a LMT and they are both good to go. I have been told that the new Sig716 is solid but no experience. Also ironically DPMS is well regarded for .308 ARs in Law Enforcement circles and from some SF guys I know use DPMS for personnel guns to practice with a .308 platform but none have been run hard according to them. HK 417 has been winning a lot of contracts. Make sure the magwell is for DPMS vice Armalite if you want to be able to find mags easier.

This is one area where there are options that might be better outside of the AR platform for cheaper but mounting optics my be more difficult.

Support Side. Not flattering but better than weak side.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Make sure the magwell is for DPMS vice Armalite if you want to be able to find mags easier.

:good:

Profile photo of Jake
    Weber
    Participant

This is purely conjecture because I have no personal experience with .308 ARs, but if money is no object, then go with the Knights. From what I have read, it’s the cat’s ass. I hear the Daniel Defense 308 is nice but I haven’t read a lot about it yet. A .308 AR is in my plans for the near future so right now I’m just doing my research to find out which manufacturer and model meets all of my needs/wants. YMMV.

My mom said I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I chose to be a man.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Any intel on the Wilson Combat 308 gas gun?
    I am looking to pick up a 308 AR patterned rifle (that will mostly be shot suppressed) for Christmas this year.

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

I have a Sig 716 with a 4 x 16 NF that I use.
    I will bring it next month to training day so you check it out. I have also heard that new DPMS gen II are pretty good. I have a DPMS LR .308 for reaching out to touch stuff.

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

I have a DPMS gen 2 recon that I am happy with. It has not been through anything like a weekend in Romney though.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of Jake
    Weber
    Participant

Also worth looking into. Suns of Liberty Gunworks. They appear to make a pretty good product and back it up with a lifetime warranty. And they use high quality parts in all of their rifles.

My mom said I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I chose to be a man.

Profile photo of Dennis W
    Dennis W
    Participant

There have been several posts on milspec, dependable, combat grade regular ol’ 5.56 ARs. What’s the opinion on a reliable .308 AR for patrol purposes?

Brian
    I have an Armalite AR-10 you can try out also. It uses the modified M14 mags. which is not a problem for me as I also have an M14.
    Dennis

MTV Alumni - N. Central Florida
    Sept 27 – Oct 03 2014 TC3-CTT-CP + NODF
    RC1, RC2, Rifleman 2015
    Sept 2016 Run & Gun/ CQB
    Oct 2016 FOF

Profile photo of Free Chicken Dinner
    RRS
    Participant

Thanks Weber that is a great site, seems like a good business model describing their parts and all. Prices are in the ball park as well

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Weber

Thanks for tagging us, we not only try to build a rock solid combat grade rifle but we try to make it easy to customize from the start so there’s no wasted money switching parts out later.

http://www.sonsoflibertygw.com

Profile photo of Jake
    Weber
    Participant

Weber

Thanks for tagging us, we not only try to build a rock solid combat grade rifle but we try to make it easy to customize from the start so there’s no wasted money switching parts out later.

http://www.sonsoflibertygw.com

You’re welcome. Looking forward to getting my hands on one of your Mk10s in the near future.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Bumping this one as a family member is asking and I’m ignorant…….

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Bumping this one as a family member is asking and I’m ignorant…….

I’m not an expert by any means, but I am a research nerd. The general consensus among the “serious use” crowd is KAC, LMT, or maybe Larue. There are plenty of others on the market, but the ground truth is that there just isn’t yet a set standard for the .308 AR platform.

I have a .308 AR and a tricked out M1A. In hindsight, I would probably take all the money I spent on those and spend it on a SCAR-17.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

“maybe LaRue”… yep. I LOVE LaRue optic mounts, but I had one of their early Predatar .308’s and it had BAD extraction issues, and was about a 3-4 MOA rifle. Not horrible, and the extraction issues worked themselves out after a couple of hundred rounds, but for the money I expected something that would WORK. I have heard they have the extraction issues fixed, but… not sure I’d trust it with the sour grapes taste in my mouth.

LMT MWR was good to go, except that it’s heavy as hell. Shoots 1MOA or better with good ammo, even with the chrome-line barrel, and reliability was 99%. Just weighs so damned much with loaded mag and optic that it was a no-go for me.

Colt 901? Very nice rifle, unless you want to run it with a suppressor. I tried all kinds of buffer and spring combos and it was no dice for me. If you have no plans to run a suppressor, it is the best combo of accuracy, weight, and reliability that I have seen in a .308 AR-pattern rifle.

For my money, the SCAR-17s has been a much better balance of weight, accuracy, and reliablity. Took some time to get accustomed to the different location of the charging handle, but this is a solid, VERY reliable weapon, based on my 3,000 rds or so sent downrange.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

As the guys already said, for 7.62 AR go with KAC, LMT, Larue or a Colt 901.

If you can find the parts, the 901 can be converted to 5.56. Change out the upper and there is a mag well block that will allow it to take 5.56 mags.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

I am going to stick to my SIG 716. We had an training weekend this weekend here, I carried it not bad a little heavy but ok.I have a three point sling on it. It works just my 2Cs

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

I have a PWS AR10 for sale. PWS is a Cadillac and it’s a piston. Only around 500 reds in it.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.