Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Combat Rifle Skills

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Skill at Arms (HEMS) Combat Rifle Skills

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

When was the last time you actively practiced weapon manipulation drills? Reloads, malfunctions, checking your zero? Yesterday? Last week? Last month? Last year?

Just because you have taken a class and learned how to do all of those doesn’t mean that you never have to do them again. It is a perishable skill. If you don’t routinely do them you will get slower and have to think about it when you do it. Ideally you want to get to the point of “unconscious competence”. Where you just do it and don’t think about it.

Combat Rifle Skills is a two day class conducted on the square range. While it is an excellent class for someone new to the AR, shooters of all levels can take something away from the class.

Completed CTT and CP and think you are good to go? Sometimes you need to get back to the basics. The professionals practice the basics until they can’t get it wrong. That’s what makes them good at what they do.

I had a discussion with a student at the private 8 day class we completed last week. To paraphrase, the most HSLD guys in the most HSLD units do the basics over and over and over. That’s one of the things that make them good at what they do. That’s what you should be striving for.

So just because you have been through an advanced class doesn’t mean that you can’t learn something from going to a basic class. Or do you know someone who is new and doesn’t feel quite ready to take CTT.

Slots are still open for the CRS class on 30-31 July. Get signed up.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

I’m going! Even after shooting both First Sergeant and Max multiple times with UTM (as gratifying as that was), I need a refresh. Plus D Close Jr is going for his intro. This is an excellent class I am really looking forward to. I took CRCD, twice, years ago but that didn’t have some of this material.
    If anyone is thinking of getting family up to speed or folks you have recruited for tribe, I see this as an excellent opportunity.

The only easy day was yesterday

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

plan to be at the November CRS class

Profile photo of vajason
    eggleston
    Participant

Plan to attend as well . Will be good time .

Profile photo of Greg Owens
    Greg Owens
    Participant

Some possible additions to carbine classes.

1 Determine if you are right or left eye dominant.

2 Practice silently moving your safety to fire and back
    from either shoulder.

3 Stop during instruction 7 different times to fieldstrip
    and clean your weapon.

4 K.I.S.S.- Never mention bolt override, bullet drop, wind
    drift, holdovers, 2 center of mass 1 head shot, no lights,
    no lasers,no mini red dots, and no pistols.
    K.I.S.S.- one control(trigger), one target(neck box),
    one zero(40/240 m) and one shooting sequence(a controlled
    pair).

5 Simplified but slower clearance drill
    stoppage
    1 Remove finger from trigger, check safety off, and
    aim and fire

stoppage
    2 Push mag release while ripping out mag and throwing
    to the ground

3 Rack Rack Rack the charging handle.

4 Insert 28 round mag and push/ pull

5 Push bolt release and aim and fire.

6 If charging handle will not Rack Rack Rack,
    reach into mag well and dislodge rounds until
    Racking successful then back to 4

6 Scope selection
    You must have an illuminated scope to have the ability
    to shoot both eyes open day or night.
    Two workhorse military scopes with factory available
    anti reflection devices(ARD) are 4x Trijicon and
    1x Aimpoint.
    There are many advantages to the Aimpoint. Regardless
    of eye or shoulder dominance, you can always accurately
    shoot the Aimpoint with both eyes open. Even when
    dealing with rain, heavy dew, or frost, if you keep the
    rear lens clear you do not have to be concerned about
    the front lens to shoot accurately. Don’t believe me?
    Go tape over your front lens and run some drills. With
    both eyes open, you will not even notice the occluded
    lens.

ACOG is a much more complicated scope and you are
    not told the both eyes open bindon aiming concept
    only works with your dominant eye behind the scope.
    If you shoot with both eyes open using your non-
    dominant eye behind the scope you will miss horribly!
    With frost covering the front of your scope, you can
    only shoot dominant eye side only(and there will be
    no magnification).
    With short eye relief, Rx glasses, 4x change of
    field of view with one eye only make this a no go
    for most folks.

Instead of a squad, how about a “ten” of Aimpoints
    in two 5 man fire teams in a Mosby diamond formation
    with the fifth man in the middle with binocs?

First Sergeant

Your Post

What the hell is this?

Your point is what?

Have you taken the CRS class?

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Jamison
    Jamison
    Participant

I know that it’s but quite combat rifle, but my training regiment has a lot of dry fire exercises. Daily (after clearing weapon and double checking 20 times, then I go onto anther room and double check all mags) I do holster draws from concealment around 30-50 reps, starting from nice and slow and smooth too fast and smooth. I then do about the same with reload drills, tap rack bang drills and mag malfunction. Twice a week I do rifle dry fire. On target from high ready, low ready, malfunction clearing drills. Emergency and reloads with retention (I don’t like “tactical” reloads, they look cool but you have a better chance of dropping both full and partial/empty mags) and carbine to pistol drills.

I try to get to the range at least twice a month. One day is for pistol and one is for rifle. I do a lot of the same skills for live fire, I don’t do as much malf drills, unless it actually happens.

I start with pistol at 10 yds and just diamond targets 20 rounds 4 five shot groups to confirm zero on rmr and the goal is all rounds quarter size by last group. Then I use silhouette target out to 25yd and shoot notecard drill, 5 group to the head and 5 to the body. (I still can’t quite get it all in the cards, but I’m working on it. Then I work on varying distances using other drills, most of the time I’ll do draw and shoot fo single rounds for 20 rounds with 5 in each mag, to incorporate mag chances. Then I will do draw and shoot for 3-5 rounds for the rest of my ammo. I usually get 100 rounds. Then after I’m done with that I might pick up my 22 and see how small of a group that I can get back out at 25. It also helps me see if I’m picking up any training scars, or recoil mitigation issues.

For rifle I will do the same and fire groups at 25 to confirm zero. Then I start right into firing at varying distances. Including card drills, my own version of Mozambique drill (5 to the body 2 to the head) or a steam fire at silhouette. I also run 5-10 rounds in each mag. I try to set aside about 5 training mags and fill them with random amounts of ammo on my last range trip. I only use specific mags for training, I also have some beat up old gi mags that cause some feeding issues that I have clearly marked and get mixed in every once in a while to add some unexpected stoppages. Also get get 50 rounds for the pistol to do transition drills.

Every three months I will get the open bay at my range and do movement and barrier shooting, or I will go out to an outdoor range and shoot as far out as I can go. This is in addition to my twice monthly normal shoots. So yeah I do a little bit of work to maintain some of my skills. Can I get better, always, could I do more, yes, should I, probably. Could I go to more classes, definitely, maybe I can get out next year, I’ll have to see what time brings.

All in all I probably only shoot 150 rounds of pistol and 100 rounds of rifle a month. I wish I could afford more, but I try to do a lot of dry practice to keep the skills up, it really does help.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations.

Nulla fatere. Nega omnia. Accusatis calumniatorem. Demanda probationem.

Profile photo of Greg Owens
    Greg Owens
    Participant

First Sergeant, thank you for the reply. No, I haven’t taken
    the CRS class but have taken numerous rifle classes. The
    point I was trying to make in my somewhat incoherent but
    usual post style is that some information I would deem important
    is never taught. Eye dominance, silent safety removal, field
    stripping your weapon, kiss shooting and clearance drills,
    advantages and disadvantages of true combat optics, and do
    you really need a DMR if you have two guys freed up with binocs.
    Just some thoughts from a non-military guy.
    Sincerely, Greg

First Sergeant

Well at least you came back and offered an explanation.

I will give point by point rebuttal on your post, just going to have to wait until tomorrow. I am pressed for time right now.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

First Sergeant

Here we go.

1. There is a limited amount of time in a two day class. There is not enough time to determine eye dominance. After we did that, are we supposed to teach them how to shoot with their opposite hand if they are cross dominant?

2. Silently rotating your selector lever does what in a firefight? The bad guys already know where you are.

3. This does what exactly? Burns up training time. I teach how to disassemble the rifle morning of the first day. You need to go home and practice this.

4. Your KISS style makes zero sense. If bolt override is never mentioned, how is the student going to learn how to clear it? Holdovers must be discussed due to mechanical offset. If you are not running a light on a rifle they you may use for home defense, you are fucking wrong. I, and many other students, have NOD’s. They are useless unless you have an IR laser. Visible lasers are virtually useless. See the other thread where I commented on the few times I used one while deployed. Red dots are probably the best site that people can mount on their rifle. If they spend the money and get quality gear. Stay the hell away from Walmart and Vortex. Spend the money on Trijicon or Aimpoint. We don’t cover pistols in Combat RIFLE Skills. The clue is in the name.

5. That is not a simplified clearance drill and it is overly complicated. Come to a CRS class and learn how we do them. They work and they are quick. CRS classes have been scheduled for the first have of 2017, check the training claendar.

Difference between Aimpoint and Trijican ACOG. Different sites for different applications. It depends on what you are planning for. I personally run a ACOG. I know how it works and what it’s limitations are. I have used the Aimpoint M68 in the past, good site.

Which one is right for a particular student can’t be taught in two days. There is a limited amount of time to get the basics across in two days. Students have to go home and do a lot of practice, work and study on their own.

This is a Combat Rifle Skills class. It is not a tactics class. That is taught in CTT, CP and the new CQB class. They are really learned in FoF.

If what you wrote is what you want to teach, start your own company and get to it. You said that you have taken a lot of rifle classes. Good. You are farther ahead than most. Now come and take CRS with an open mind, you just might learn a new or better way.

But don’t take my word for it. Go read some of the reviews that have been posted.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

First Sergeant

Any response you care to offer Greg?

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.