Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

CP Training Prep

This topic contains 42 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian from Georgia Brian from Georgia 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

After taking the CP class 2 yrs ago, I have changed my gear a good bit. One important part was to get some lighter/more compact gear so I could move to a smaller pack. I have a moderate sized Camelback pack that they no longer produce. It doesn’t have a hip belt and rides perfectly on top of the battle belt. With gear compressed I can use this as a small patrol pack and it is all a good bit lighter.

A lifetime ago I extensively backpacked, and even as a young man my goal was to travel light. As an old fart now, my mobility is FAR better with less gear. I am back to weighing EVERYTHING…even weapon accessories! It makes a lot of difference. I am even looking at the ultralight gear that BFG makes!

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

If you go the Large ALICE pack route with your ruck, are you guys running/suggesting a frame with it? NOT the full metal frame, I know that. Somebody posted a link to this plastic pack frame in another thread and I’m wondering if this sits on top of the belt properly?
    https://www.entrygear.com/product.asp?id=1606AC

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

Diz,

Just wanted you to know that I followed your advice about setting up my Karrimor Predator Patrol 45 almost to the letter, and it worked out very well. I added an ATS “Large GP Pouch”, which is just the right size for a folded up MVT Shield. Also had zip-on Karrimor side pouches to carry PVS-14, some spare mags, and MRE trash. Very simple setup, easy to get stuff in and out in the dark, not too big, not too small.

This little ruck will hold more than I have any business trying to carry, but also compresses really well.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Just as an update/clarification here, the fighting load out, in conjunction with the rucksack. You want a ruck sack that is slightly shorter than what you’d use as a civvy mountaineering ruck. The Karrimor 45L still rocks out. I have also been experimenting with the Brit issue MTP short back and long back Bergens. Depending on your torso height. The short back works well for guys up to about 5’10” or so. The long back actually works well for those 5’11” or taller. It all depends on your torso length, from base of neck to top of waist belt. You want the ruck riding right at the top of where your waist belt lies. This is typically several inches HIGHER than a civvy rucksack, with integrated hipbelt.

Now the belt kit. I have found that the Brit style pouches, which are FLUSH with the top of the belt, work the best. The ruck will now sit atop these pouches, instead of fighting with them. USGI pouches typically set up a little higher, so either the canteen filler caps, or the buttpack will fight the ruck. You have to either rig these a little lower (with shoulder straps) to clear the ruck, or go with Brit pouches (all over ebay).

The USGI rucks, either ALICE or Molle will work, with external polymer frames. But you really need the brit pouches for best fit with the belt kit.

So if your lumbar measurement is below say 16″, you really would benefit from getting a Brit Karrimor ruck, or short back Bergen, AND using their belt kit pouches.

As to mag pouches on the belt line, vs the chest rig. I just find the chest rig more easily accessible, although YMMV. You just about need it if you’re gonna run pistol gear though. Hard to get enough rifle mags and pistol gear onto one belt.

In conclusion, after many months of Tabbing practice, I have found the hipbelt isn’t really necessary. The belt kit can replace it, and you can still run a heavy ruck without it. I know this flies in the face of conventional back-packing wisdom, but we’re doing something different here.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Are mosquito nets a bad idea for use in the patrol base?

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Are mosquito nets a bad idea for use in the patrol base?

How bad are the bugs?

If you can’t get sufficient rest because of bugs buzzing and biting, you will need to find a solution that works for your given situation.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

How much water is enough to carry for the summer? Currently I have:
    1L Nalgene on belt
    3L Bladder in patrol pack
    2qt soft canteen (cooking) in ruck

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

1L Nalgene on belt

Its a training op, there will be water on site. Carry what you need. Don’t forget you will probably cook. Real life carry what you need resupply where you planned.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

Tango,
    For training. I would suggest 1 liter to cook for the overnight portion. 2 to 3 liters on your rig for drinking. 2 liters in your ruck for the overnight. I would also bring a dozen bottles of water with you to the pavilion and refill as necessary.

As for the real thing, that is up to you. But I would suggest at least 2 liters and 2 ways to filter. But then again different people intake more then others. Use the CP class to learn what works or doesn’t work. The good news is you’ll be in the warmest time of the year with the most water consumption requirement.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

1L Nalgene on belt

Its a training op, there will be water on site. Carry what you need. Don’t forget you will probably cook. Real life carry what you need resupply where you planned.

Actually what Mike said. I interpreted what yo9u wrote differently :unsure: ,

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

There will be water on site and you will be given time to refill. You will be HIGHLY encouraged to hydrate during the entire class.

Most people have no clue just how much water is necessary to function in any type of environment. Much less when you are active.

While I use and like dehydrated meals(Mountain House) for the convenience and weight savings, you have to carry a lot more water than normal.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Thanks for the helpful info guys. The fact that it’s training and we’ll get to refill is great but I still want to make sure I’m doing it as realistically as possible. Learning my personal water intake under those circumstances will definitely be one item to note.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

I normally drink 3-4 quarts of water per day in my role as desk jockey who PT’s for an hour after work. On patrol class in August, I took in around 6-7 quarts per day.

Train up if you want to carry a realistic load. Those hills will wipe you out with a full ruck, LBE, rifle, etc.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.