Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Damn you MVT!

This topic contains 36 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

So I bought a damn AR…. sigh.

$449. with a $100 gift card (Academy) given immediately. At that price couldn’t not do it. Call it guilt from having to borrow an AR from Max for each FOF class :)

Zeroed the PRO and have put about 150 rounds through it so far. Got to invest in some .223 now.

So it does not have a front ring for a sling. How do I go about this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Baling wire and duct tape. Oh wait sorry that’s the sling mount instructions for an AK…… B-)

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Baling wire and duct tape. Oh wait sorry that’s the sling mount instructions for an AK…… B-)

Damn!!! No even the cheap AKs come with sling swivels. And of course they work and all :yahoo:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Justin
    osozorro
    Participant

I’d do a drop in rail system with either a qd sling mount or a picatinny mounted swivel.

I’d also move the red dot forward and mount some buis.

Darkrivers
    Participant

Give a man an AK and he can throw a rope on it for a sling and he is ready for battle.
    Give a man an AR and he will have to spend the next 2 months deciding what to put on it to get ready for battle……

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well I am going to make some assumptions for you to verify.

The primary role for this will be FOF and familiarity training for you and the family. Since everyone should know the AR, just like everyone should know the AK. Too many out there not to be.

Of course since you have it might as well have it set up for real use should it prove reliable, but why trick it out when it is a secondary role weapon.

For the picture it’s difficult to see, but it looks like the gas block is pinned?

If it wasn’t I would replace/modify it with one that is, possibly with a sling mount.

The block looks big enough to tap lower side with a sling swivel. If it is and your mechanically inclined should run you under $5 or $30 for a local gunsmith.

Get some low cost backup sites and your done.

Of course the sky’s the limit, but not necessary. ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If it was mine for the simple role mentioned, I would drill a hole through the bottom front, notch the center and put a standard sling swivel using a roll pin. Would be similar to a GI setup and wouldn’t cost anything, just a trip though the junk bin.

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Congrats on the M&P15. Spec page at S&W for reference.

EDIT: specs say it has QD attachment point on bottom of gas block. If yours has it, problem solved. Might just need a QD swivel then.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Put flip up fromt and rear so you can shoot irons.

Unless you wanna run a single point sling, which you dont, you can either buy a drop in rail handguard and then get a magpul sling attachment for your rail. Or you can just tie paracord on gas block to you sling. Itll burn thru at some point but itll work

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It has a QD swivel on the gas block. I’d put on Magpul front and rear BUIS, CTR Buttstock, M-Lock handguard and MS-1 sling and call it good. Maybe Magpul grip if you like.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Well I am going to make some assumptions for you to verify.

The primary role for this will be FOF and familiarity training for you and the family. Since everyone should know the AR, just like everyone should know the AK. Too many out there not to be.

Of course since you have it might as well have it set up for real use should it prove reliable, but why trick it out when it is a secondary role weapon.

For the picture it’s difficult to see, but it looks like the gas block is pinned?

If it wasn’t I would replace/modify it with one that is, possibly with a sling mount.

The block looks big enough to tap lower side with a sling swivel. If it is and your mechanically inclined should run you under $5 or $30 for a local gunsmith.

Get some low cost backup sites and your done.

Of course the sky’s the limit, but not necessary. ;-)

PRECISELY! :good:

www.jrhenterprises.com

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

According to TC’s post it should have “QD Sling Swivel Attachment Point (bottom of gas block)” though there is always a chance I
    if it was a special bare bones edition for Academy it might not.

There is no need for new stocks for his intended role, Robert’s a AK guy. Given who he is and his background it would be cost prohibitive to change completely due to what I am guessing is a large prior investment in infrastructure to support the AK’s.

AR’s are great weapons, but ultimately it’s the user not the weapon.

For most a AR is a better choice, but that’s also assuming someone just getting started vice a user with an established infrastructure.

Few people here are in that category.

Robert does it have the hole for a QD swivel?

If it does your set, just buy a QD.

If not my prior advice applies, though there will be many opinions. ;-)

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

OMG.

I don’t have the words.

Where is ISG – where does the M&P sit on the recommendation list?

Rather than use cost as my purchasing factor, I would have used quality, and gone for a Colt OEM 1 or 2.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Low I’m sure given the price point :) I purchased high end on my 2nd AR go around back in the 90’s (Colt Match Hbar). Hopefully this cheap one will perform better than #1 and #2 did.

If someone was using this platform for their go to, I would definitely hope they go for higher quality.

Personally, we will probably only put a few thousand a year through this, with a good deal of them being UTM rounds.

A sling swivel for upfront, a 3 point and maybe BUIS. I do have a Magpul stock that I had on a Vltor tube AK interface for an old Polytech I may put on it. That’s it for modifications or upgrades.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

This is how the front looks.

So the QD sling that TC linked, just screws in the bottom?

Attachments:

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

Correct Robert. Should go in real easy.

RonW

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

That does look like a QD slot. QD = quick detach. Swivel pops in/out when you press the swivel button. BCM, Midwest, and Magpul make good ones. I bought a cheap off-brand swivel once and it wouldn’t stay put.

Any reason for a 3-point sling over a 2-point? I like the simplicity of the VTAC, Proctor, and Magpul MS1 2-point slings.

If you enjoy that AR a little too much and decide to buy higher quality again, then maybe Colt, Daniel Defense, or BCM. Or even just the upper.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of TMH260
    TMH260
    Participant

From S&W’s website it appears as though the gas block is pinned. If that is accurate I recommend installing a set of Magpul MOE handguards (standard or SL). The new versions have M-Lok slots which you can easily mount a QD socket or a standard swivel. This will also allow you to effectively and relatively inexpensively mount a weapon light. When you get BUIS remember to get the gasblock rail height front sight. If you get a handguard rail height version it won’t line up well. And yep as stated above move the PRO to where the front of the mount lines up with the front of the receiver.

If the gas block isn’t pinned then that one be the first thing I’d get squared away. And then as Joe stated the sky becomes the limit!

Darkrivers
    Participant

Definitely looks like a swivel hole.

Attachments:

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

2 point is what I meant to say, my bad.

I’ll try that swivel mount, thanks for the recommendation.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

BTW, barrel is marked 5.56 that means I can shoot 5.56 or .223 correct?

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of TMH260
    TMH260
    Participant

Yes

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ll try that swivel mount, thanks for the recommendation.

Normally I wouldn’t even bring this style up, but since your a AK guy, and you probably have a bunch of AK style slings in a bin somewhere.

Magpul Quick Detach Paraclip Adapter

If you go with a standard QD swivel, I prefer ones with a recessed push button to prevent accidental detachment.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

What the barrel is marked doesn’t mean anything. what you have to worry about is the chamber. I haven’t heard of any issues with the chamber being out of spec.

What is the lower marked?

@Max it isn’t on the “List”.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

First Sergeant

And hell froze over. ;-)

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

What the barrel is marked doesn’t mean anything. what you have to worry about is the chamber. I haven’t heard of any issues with the chamber being out of spec.

What is the lower marked?

@Max it isn’t on the “List”.

Receiver marked
    Model M &P-15
    Smith and Wesson
    Mattel Manufacturing
    7th Level of Frozen Sheol

www.jrhenterprises.com

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Mattel Manufacturing
    7th Level of Frozen Sheol

You had me for a few minutes! :yahoo:

First Sergeant

@Robert no caliber markings on the receiver?

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Negative. Top side of the barrel mid way down only.

Only other marking on the receiver is the S&W M and P marking on the opposite side of the receiver that has the serial number.

Pretty sure I’ve shot .223 through it already.

www.jrhenterprises.com

First Sergeant

Negative. Top side of the barrel mid way down only.

Only other marking on the receiver is the S&W M and P marking on the opposite side of the receiver that has the serial number.

Pretty sure I’ve shot .223 through it already.

.223 isn’t the issue with out of spec chambers.

It’s when you start shooting 5.56 that issues could come up.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.