Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

DCH Observations

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons DCH Observations

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mountain Mom gramma 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I get it. I understand the allure of small pistols. Less weight and easier to conceal.

Hey, I’m just running to the store to grab some milk or I’m just going to walk the dog real quick. Nothing happens around here, but I’ve got this super nifty small gun in my pocket, I’ll be good. I don’t need a reload either, the 5, 6 or 7 rounds in the gun is enough.

The safety on this thing is kinda small but I wont have any problem taking the safety off under an adrenaline dump. I don’t need to worry about the size of the slide release either because I’m not carrying a spare mag.

It is kinda hard to get a good grip on this pistol because the grip is so small, but it disappears in my pocket or is completely covered by my shirt. I wont screw up the grip when I draw, even though I only put a couple of mags through the gun. The guy at the gun store, the online review, the magazine article said it was the bestest pistol for concealed carry.

This holster that I got really cheap works great, except it keeps me from getting a good grip on the pistol when I draw.

Small pistols have a place. Sometimes we don’t have a choice. Due to the way we have to dress or because we are going into a NPE. But for most, it’s an excuse. What’s the max effective range of an excuse?

All the issues that I outlined above I have seen at class or have had people ask me why they are having issues with their smaller pistol.

Failing to disengage the safety after the draw, even though they attempted to. Can’t get a good grip because the grip is so small. Harder to shoot accurately because of the short sight radius. If, and it’s a big if, they are carrying a spare mag and attempt a reload, they can’t hit the slide release(or slide stop if you are carrying a Glock). Can’t hit the mag release due to the size of it or due to the size of the grip.

Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable, it’s supposed to comforting. You need to be carrying the largest pistol that you can conceal. Sometimes that means you have to change the way you dress. You wont be able to conceal one in your skinny jeans and your Affliction t-shirt.

The guns that are the biggest offenders of the above are in no particular order: Ruger, S&W, Taurus and Glock(all models).

Some of these can be fixed with aftermarket parts, especially Glock. You can send off your Shield to get a bunch of custom work done.

You wont know about any of the issues above unless you spend some quality time with the gun and I don’t mean just punching holes in paper.

In today’s world, you have no idea when things may go sideways. Could be that quick run to the store to grab some milk, getting car jacked while stopped at a red light, going to church, going to the movies, just sitting on your couch at home or because somebody doesn’t like the way you look or your political views.

You don’t get a say as to when, although you can mitigate some of the circumstances.

You are carrying everyday, right?

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent reality check! :good:

Don’t just read it and think good article, put it to work.

Profile photo of riflemaniv
    riflemaniv
    Participant

Good to know. I generally carry a full size Glock or a Sig 229. I have been thinking about picking up a G26 for times a full sized pistol isn’t appropriate. What mods do you suggest for Glock pistols?

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I have actually found it is more difficult to carry a Glock 26 vs my Glock 19. The longer slide holds it in place more effectively.

I carry my G19 even when wearing scrubs or knit running shorts.
    The underwear I wear has enough support to hold it in place.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I carry a Glock 26. Fuck y’all.

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

@Max, standard mag, baseplate? Extended baseplate ? G 19 or 17 mag with space taker uppy thingy?

RonW

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

@Max, standard mag, baseplate? Extended baseplate ? G 19 or 17 mag with space taker uppy thingy?

I have the magpul 12 round mags which gives me sufficient space to get my pinky on the grip. No issues.

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

I’d be curious, is this directed at people who carry a single stack 9mm like a S&W Shield or Walther CCP and think “this is good enough.”

I would think those pistols are more of the outliers, to be used as backups or for when it truly isn’t possible to conceal a double stack.

Either way, I’ve had no trouble concealing a CZ P07, and only marginal issues with a FNS-9.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am sure First Sergeant will chime in on this, but we all have choices to make regarding what we CCW.

My current choice is a Beretta M9 with two spare magazines, but I certainly didn’t feel defenseless when carrying a revolver with a couple of speed loaders.

46 rounds of 9mm vs 18 rounds of .357 magnum.

Which is the better choice? I believe it’s a personal choice as long as I know and train for it.

What’s the threat? Typical self defense or Mumbai terrorist attack? Sure we can’t predict what we’ll face, but I accept the fact I can’t cover all contingencies.

What are my limitations?

Need a smaller package with its reduced sight radius? No problem train more to compensate.

Don’t believe First Sergeant was talking absolutes, but directed at untrained and uninformed choices some make.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

A lot of it is about mindset. Some people carry the smallest or most convenient thing they can get their hands on.

I have heard this called the “magic talisman” mindset before. Just carrying a gun will make the badguys go away.

Don’t need no training or anything like that.

Back in 1998, my mom and her common law went to Maine and New England for 2 weeks. He carried his Rossi .38. He was always told to carry a revolver with an empty chamber. So he went up and down the eastern seaboard with only the 4 bullets in the gun. Not even a box packed away.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

@brigandactual, not specifically directed at anyone. Just observations of issues that I see with people who carry small single stacks. I carry a HK P30L with a Surefire X300U, IWB. Plus a spare mag. So when people tell me that they can’t carry anything bigger, :wacko:

As @joe (G.W.N.S.) said, it’s all about choices. As I said in the OP, sometimes you don’t have a choice and have to carry a small gun. There are times that I carry a small .380 in a pocket holster or a .38 snubnose in an ankle holster(with reloads), but I understand the limitations that this places on me. Most people don’t.

As @duaneh posted, for a lot of people it is a magic talisman. They believe that just having a gun will keep the bad guys away. Like a crucifix for vampires. The majority refuse to even carry a reload.

Most of us will go our entire lives and never need the gun that you carry.

Until you do.

Whatever preconceived notions you have about how it’s going to play out are going to disappear as soon as it happens. You are betting your life on (insert number of rounds in the gun) that is in the gun. Are you prepared to stake your life or the life of your loved ones on that?

How much time have you spent training with that pistol? How many rounds a month do you shoot with it? Are you actually training to get better or are you going to the range to make noise and put holes in paper?

I am not telling you what you have to do. I am passing along the issues that I see people having with small guns. In the end it’s your decision. You have to decide what works for you and what you are capable of with the gun you carry.

Our minds and awareness will keep us out of most things. Just being aware of your surroundings will do wonders. Get out of you phone and pay attention.

As I stated above, the odds are in your favor. It’s not the odds I am worried about, it’s the stakes.

Good to know. I generally carry a full size Glock or a Sig 229. I have been thinking about picking up a G26 for times a full sized pistol isn’t appropriate. What mods do you suggest for Glock pistols?

Get a HK VP9SK. If I can’t convince you of that, see below.

Change out the stupid plastic sights and get an extended slide stop. Changing the mag release is going to depend on whether you can reach it with out breaking your firing grip. Get the extended mags so you can get your entire hand on the grip of the pistol and not have your pinky wrapped underneath.

He was always told to carry a revolver with an empty chamber. So he went up and down the eastern seaboard with only the 4 bullets in the gun. Not even a box packed away.

He was probably told that by some fucking dumbass in a gunstore who had no fucking clue where and why that originated from. Just like the fucking morons that advocate Israeli carry.

I am sure First Sergeant will chime in on this, but we all have choices to make regarding what we CCW.

My current choice is a Beretta M9 with two spare magazines, but I certainly didn’t feel defenseless when carrying a revolver with a couple of speed loaders.

46 rounds of 9mm vs 18 rounds of .357 magnum.

Which is the better choice? I believe it’s a personal choice as long as I know and train for it.

What’s the threat? Typical self defense or Mumbai terrorist attack? Sure we can’t predict what we’ll face, but I accept the fact I can’t cover all contingencies.

What are my limitations?

Need a smaller package with its reduced sight radius? No problem train more to compensate.

Don’t believe First Sergeant was talking absolutes, but directed at untrained and uninformed choices some make.

Fucking bingo.

My wife carries a HK P30SK. She can carry it OWB with a reload on the other side. She is 5′ tall. If she can conceal a double stack pistol, so can you.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Guilty of carrying a Shield, the only real way I can comfortably shoot it is with the extended mags. I also switch out with a S&W Sigma and it is a full size high cap near Glock clone becuz you can always get sporty with a forty.

Profile photo of Mountain Mom
    gramma
    Participant

Poster girl for the sarge’s point.

Showed up at DCH with my Sig 938. (Good purse gun, I thought; not as heavy.) I had shot it quite a bit; a couple years previous… but I had problems that day from the get-go. The FNS-9 – even in a new-to-me retention holster – went a LOT smoother for me. And sarge was right again – by the end of the 2nd day I didn’t even notice the weight on my hip.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.