Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Dental Readiness

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Medical Care Dental Readiness

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Dental Readiness is something those that have been in the military should be familiar.

Dental problems can be quite debilitating and can even lead to death, of course most take for granted the quality dental care here in the US.

The importance of regular dental cleanings and daily oral hygiene routine can not be stressed enough. In the event of a SHTF scenario professional dental care could be difficult to find.

Starting out the SHTF event with your teeth in good shape will be important.

Part of Dental Readiness for us is having the knowledge and equipment to deal with the dental problems that arise post event.

For knowledge I recommend the book “Where There Is No Dentist” by Hesperian.

Hesperian now offers a variety of digital tools for health promotion, designed for people with limited computer or internet access. Each tool represents thousands of hours of writing, production, field testing, translation, and digital adaptation. Taken together, they form the Hesperian Digital Commons, a collaborative project to re-imagine our trusted print materials through the innovative use of technology.

Our books continue to be available for free PDF download.

For equipment things get complicated.

There are many Dental First Aid Kits available. They will provide a temporary solution until you can get professional care, however they will not have what is needed for a long term solution. I still recommend one for short term use.

Examples:

Emergency Dental Kit – Mini $14.95

Description
    The EDK mini kit is packaged in a compact, convenient, waterproof, non-breakable carrying case. It is perfect for hikers, campers, boaters, travelers, or for anyone who does not have much room to store an emergency dental kit.

It includes one of each of the following:

Waterproof Case
    Temporary Cement
    Temporary Filling
    Toothache Drops
    Dental Wax
    Denture Repair Material
    Cotton
    Gauze
    Dental Floss
    Gloves
    Tweezers
    Sanitizing Wipes
    An Illustrated Instruction Manual

Above would be great for your Ruck.

Emergency Dental Kit – Professional $94.95

Description
    The kit contains:

10 unit doses each of pre-mixed temporary filling material, temporary cement splinting material and denture repair.
    Tooth ache drops (1)
    dental cotton rolls (10)
    mixing dishes and applicator brushes (10)
    dental spatula (10)
    dental cleaning tools (10)
    a detailed, step-by-step diagrammed manual

Shelf life is unlimited at room temperature. Water-resistant plastic case measures 8 x 8 x 1 inches.

Above would be great for your Home Pantry.

These are just examples, there are many available and just like First Aid Kits you can build a custom Kit.

If you want something more comprehensive in a pre-built kit Prepperdental.com (no longer available) has what I would call real professional grade kit. Be warned they are not cheap, however what would they be worth after several days suffering?

From their site.

Here we believe that dental preparedness is more than just toothbrushes and floss. When times get hard, access to dentists will be limited, and even they will not have access to necessary dental equipment and supplies. A minor toothache can turn into a lethal abscess without the proper equipment and medication. The Deluxe Dental Supply Kit was designed by a practicing dentist and has all of the tools necessary to perform basic dental procedures, including: tooth extraction, fillings, crown replacement and thorough cleanings. The kit consists of Lifetime warranty professional grade stainless steel dental instruments made in the USA and Germany that US dentists use everyday, as well as an assortment of necessary medicaments and supplies. Pre-sterilization will be performed so each instrument will be ready for use. The deluxe kit comes in a durable 100% cordura nylon custom made, easy to grab carrying case. The case was designed specifically for the components of the dental kit and is made in the USA, in the heart of the American Re-Doubt, providing jobs to freedom-loving people!

Comprehensive Deluxe Dental Supply Kit $999.00

The most complete highest quality dental kit available. The kit was designed by a practicing dentist, who is a Prepper himself. He certifies that the contents of the kit provide the most comprehensive oral health solution available, when help is NOT on the way. This kit will allow the trained professional to perform the following functions:

– All necessary dental hygiene
    – Place temporary and intermediate restorations on broken, damaged or problematic teeth
    – Re-cement loose crowns
    – Extract teeth both simply and surgically
    – Perform emergency dentistry

The kit does not contain an exhaustive list of all materials or instruments used to perform the above procedures. It does however, provide the absolute required materials and instruments to complete the treatments correctly and safely by a trained professional.

Instruments are all professional grade stainless steel, made in the USA of the very highest quality and include:
    – (1) Mouth mirror handle
    – (3) Separate screw in mirror heads
    – (3) Different double-sided hygiene instruments; each instrument side has an essential purpose in cleaning teeth:
    o Essential double-sided examination instruments
    o Double-sided instrument to remove tooth decay
    o Hemostat
    – (1) Cotton pliers
    – (1) Surgical scissors
    – (1) Surgical blade handle with (5) individually wrapped blades
    – (3) Types of elevators- two are double sided for tooth extraction
    – (2) Universal extraction forceps
    – (1) Double-sided curette
    – (1) Matrix band retainer for placing restorations
    – (10) Stainless steel retainers
    – (15) Pair of nitrile gloves
    – (10) Custom fit masks
    – (1) Washing syringe
    – (200) 2×2 4-ply cotton pads
    – (50) Cotton rolls
    – (100) Cotton swabs
    – ( 3) 7g tubes of Cavit (TM) temporary restorative material
    – IRM (TM) powder/liquid (38g/15ml) Intermediate restorative material and permanent crown cement
    – (1) 30ml jar of topical anesthetic
    – (2) Individual packs of 4.0 Gut suture
    – (2) Individual packs of 4.0 silk suture
    – (1) 50 yard floss pack
    – (10) Tongue depressors
    – (1) Oral-B toothbrush
    All of these materials come in a custom Made in the USA 100% cordura nylon bag that fits each instrument specifically for the kit. All instruments come in pre-sterilized bags for immediate use. The dentists who formulated the kit contents take a kit for every outdoor adventure they go on. There is no anesthetic needles or solution in the kits, as those are regulated by the FDA.

Everything that comes with this kit is professional grade- it will last a long time- the nine most critical instruments have lifetime guarantees. Dentists use these items a lot! They are trusted and reliable. All materials are name brand- used by good dentists who know the products work and trust them. The last thing anyone who spends hard earned money on a kit like this wants is for the material to not work when you actually need it. For those buying a critically necessary kit such as this it is a waste of money to go cheap. In addition, you could be jeopardizing your health and safety if when calamity strikes your lesser-grade instruments fail.

Retail price for a dentist ordering all contents of the kit is $2,614 and that’s without pre-sterilization or a custom bag. At Dental Essentials, we have special relationships directly with manufacturers of products we don’t make ourselves that allow us to bring amazing value to the Comprehensive Deluxe Dental Supply Kit.
    Comprehensive Standard Dental Supply Kit $499.00

Product Description

In response to requests for a lower-priced product we are pleased to introduce the Comprehensive Standard Dental Supply Kit. What is the difference between the two kits? There are two differences:
    (1) the nine critical instruments in this kit do not come with a lifetime warranty
    (2) the nine critical instruments in this kit are not made in the USA
    The instruments are still dentist-grade quality, but the manufacturer of these products does not provide a lifetime guarantee. All other items in the kit are as listed below and the kit will perform the same functions as our Deluxe kit.

This video clip from the movie Marathon Man (1976) provides a friendly reminder of dental pain.

I will follow up with a post on dental pain relief!

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

A dentist in TN holds a Field Dentistry class every couple years, although he didn’t hold it last year. We’ve been to it twice and it’s an excellent class. You learn to drill teeth and actually do it, learn to do extractions and a bunch of other stuff.

The guy is an old school survivalist so he has thought through a lot of stuff. We were working with matrix bands at one point in the class and I was having a helluva time with them. As he was working with me I started asking him what could be used in it’s place.

Within about 2 minutes he had cut up some things that were on the table and had improvised one that worked pretty well.

That’s the kind of instruction I appreciate.

A lot of dental tools can be found on Ebay, you just gotta know what you need. For example there is a pile of different types of extractors, however one does the majority of them- #88 IIRC but you’ll also need an elevator.

I try to always relate new skills with something I’ve done already. As we worked to extract teeth from little cups of bondo I said “this is kinda like getting a stubborn carrot out of the ground- dig around it a bit breaking up the little hair roots on the side, then get a good grip and wiggle it around a bunch.” LOL

Definitely get all your dental stuff up to date. We went 10 years without seeing the dentist years ago due to financial issues (read being poo). We took care of our teeth and a gal I went to school with gave me crap when she heard my boy was 10 and had never seen a dentist before. I said “let me know if he has any cavities.” She came back in the room later “how did he never have any cavities?”

Told her he doesn’t drink soda, doesn’t have a lot of sweets and his Mom was the teeth brushing nazi with him for years.

Our teeth weren’t bad for 10 years either, I think I had one cavity and the wife had a small chip.

We got more regularly now ;)

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A dentist in TN holds a Field Dentistry class every couple years, although he didn’t hold it last year.

Would like to add any contact information on this to the thread if you can.

We were working with matrix bands at one point in the class

For those that don’t know about matrix bands, here’s a couple pictures.

matrix band
    n.
    A metal or plastic band secured around the crown of a tooth to confine the restorative material filling a cavity.

A lot of dental tools can be found on Ebay, you just gotta know what you need.

Amazon has a section Industrial & Scientific : Professional Dental Supplies.

The thing to remember is although you can find Dental tools at reasonable prices, you must weigh the cost with the quality level desired. Like Harbor Freight Tools they will probably hold up to infrequent use.

Of course we all have to work within our own budget restraints and I guarantee it will beat nothing or possibly worse than nothing, home tools. :negative:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This has always been a subject of interest for me. As of late I been real good about keeping my teeth near perfect to start.

I figured SHTF the only dental care I might get is a tooth pulling. :unsure:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I figured SHTF the only dental care I might get is a tooth pulling.

Unfortunately it will be the most common option without propper preparation.

The included PDF attachment discusses Dental Extractions Using Improvised Equipment. Purchasing or Building a basic dental kit will greatly improve results and limit suffering.

These animations will help clarify some of the techniques.

Rocking a tooth back and forth enlarges its socket.

Using an elevator to extract a tooth.

Extracting a tooth with forceps.

Not that it should be necessary, but this information is for emergency situations not to replace Dentist. :wacko:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

His name is Tom Loomis. He always just listed a phone number, no website or anything. I think he was hooked up with the place in Ohio that does medical class- NOT Doc Cindy (Armaggedon Medicine), although she has a good class, mainly focusing on more of home and nursing care.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s Reply, it is a technical glitch from the change to subscription format.

Having done some training on emergency/remote group dentistry I have to say that I would love to have the above “comprehensive deluxe dental kit”! I also wish that tooth extraction were as easy as the above gif’s demonstrate.

Also keep up on your tetanus vaccine, while rarely seen CONUS tetanus is a huge killer OCONUS. If there were an interruption in normal medical care in the US after about a year we would see a large increase in the prevalence of tetanus and deaths secondary to it. Recent dental work and even minor trauma from an abrasion is all that tetanus to get a foot hold and cause serious problems.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I also wish that tooth extraction were as easy as the above gif’s demonstrate.

Agreed, of course the intent was more about the generalized procedure.

Many lack any such knowledge and can get desperate when facing such a problem; it would be easy to make matters worse, particularly when dealing with a cracked or fractured tooth. The correct tools and even the most basic study could really be helpful.

Also keep up on your tetanus vaccine…

Good advice!

Profile photo of Free Chicken Dinner
    RRS
    Participant

I pulled a couple of my grandpa’s teeth back in the day. A couple of times I came home from school to find grandpa had hit the hooch a bit and he would hand me the pliers and I would pull his bad tooth. Yes he was a hard core SOB, he would kick all our butts if he were still around.

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Profile photo of Greg Owens
    Greg Owens
    Participant

Can’t honestly recommend any special dental preps. Even in Mad
    Max, there will be dental care available from stockpiled dentists.
    Trust me on this one. :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Even in Mad Max, there will be dental care available from stockpiled dentists.

I am sure that will be very comforting when dealing with a painful dental issue in a isolated location, on the run in a E&E, or any of the extraordinary situations possible post-event.

Of course if a Dentist is available I would most assuredly use him/her. Another possibility would be finding a displaced Dentist without equipment, what then? I prefer a Dentist with proper tools. :yes:

As a Rationalist prudent preparations are a part of life.

Skipping this on the assumption that Dental care will be available would be akin to not preparing for Medical emergencies for the same reason.

Of course YMMV! :-)

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s Reply, it is a technical glitch from the change to subscription format.

Dental care should be considered as an important thing in these days. Alteast we can consult the dentist thrice in a year. By taking good care of your teeth and gums, you can help prevent problems such as tooth decay and gum disease. You should also teach your children how to brush and floss from an early age to help them protect their teeth.

bestsmile4u.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent points Paulseand! :yes:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

A dentist in TN holds a Field Dentistry class every couple years, although he didn’t hold it last year. We’ve been to it twice and it’s an excellent class. You learn to drill teeth and actually do it, learn to do extractions and a bunch of other stuff.

The guy is an old school survivalist so he has thought through a lot of stuff. We were working with matrix bands at one point in the class and I was having a helluva time with them. As he was working with me I started asking him what could be used in it’s place.

Within about 2 minutes he had cut up some things that were on the table and had improvised one that worked pretty well.

That’s the kind of instruction I appreciate.

Please let us know when these classes are being held next!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A friendly reminder on a important often overlooked topic.

Profile photo of Ralph Kramden
    HiDesertRat
    Participant

Think ‘Castaway’ movie and dental issues. Gonna do an extraction with
    some figure skates and a rock? Get it done now if its an issue. Second, get some marcaine or lidocaine injectable for use in dental anesthesia, and know how to do a ‘block’ of the nerves involved for the particular site you are working. Someone here in the forum is connected to ‘DeepSurvival…something’ website, lots of meds available, including the above. Just attempted to link to it, but a 404 message came up…? Hopefully a temporary issue. Basic medical care is of paramount importance but always remember never to neglect basic hygiene, that kills more than most would ever imagine. I suppose this illustrates the fact that in the ‘old days’ ie before anything except voodoo and medicine men, the human lifespan was only about 40 years at best. Enough of this cheery topic. And just remember, Doc Holliday was a dentist, so be nice when the bill is presented.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

That Travel medicine place that was linked a few weeks back has Lidocaine for $10. Got an order in and it’s all within exp. date.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

That Travel medicine place that was linked a few weeks back has Lidocaine for $10. Got an order in and it’s all within exp. date.

Got a link? I missed that.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Lidocaine (Xylocaine) w/ Suture-Syringe Kit option

You know you can also make friends with your local vet. ;-)

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

First Sergeant

Lidocaine (Xylocaine) w/ Suture-Syringe Kit option

You knwo you can also make friends with your local vet. ;-)

I have no idea what you are implying.
    My daughter is a vet tech. ;-)

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Or supply your pharmacist buddy free beer for life. Hint

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

First Sergeant

Or supply your pharmacist buddy free beer for life. Hint

Are you coming to the CLC?

We need to talk about a couple of things.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Yessir I will be there.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

HiDesertRat
    Participant

Decent price for 20ml vial of 2% Lidocaine. You can go to ranch/animal supply stores and buy syringes, needles, sterile dressings etc for low cost. Just received an update from DeepSurvival, he lost his domain I’m guessing and now set up at this
    IP address:

https://www.deepsurvival.company

I have purchased from him before w/o issues and everything is legit, and meds are not expired. Has a fair amount of dental goods ie. marcaine, control type syringes, dental tools and such. Just a heads up.

Profile photo of jmj
    jmj
    Participant

Any updated info on the Tennessee dental class? Is he still doing it?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Though this Thread is about Dental Readiness I thought my recent experience may prove motivational regarding dental equipment.

Obviously in a Post-Event situation I would go out of my way to find a trained dentist before one was needed, but life doesn’t always cooperate.

So I had a molar that a impact broke tooth off at the gum line leaving essentially just the roots and some pieces attached.

This was not a situation for a pair of pliers! ;-)

Even the dentist (with much experience) had a difficult time with proper tools.

Imagine the consequences of no dentist or even worse no dental tools!

Don’t take your teeth for granted, but even with good teeth accidents happen. Be prepared.

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

Whoever bumped this, nice, I had forgotten/probably skipped over this thread before, now that I’m back from overseas I much more greatly appreciate the need for field medicine. I went to a gun show with my brother a few weekends ago and he was wondering why I was looking at celox bandages and chest seals as much as the guns, I explained to him that it only takes a half hour to die from a pneumothorax. Just worth noting that in a SHTF situation it’s the trained doctors and technicians that flee first, they have the money and the knowhow to get the hell out of dodge in the first waves of refugees and make a living elsewhere so you can’t assume there will be large amounts of doctors to help your merry band of freedom fighters, most likely they’ll have fled to Canada or Europe. We had a couple of guys we sent to the hospital for dental problems, thankfully we had access to dentists in Serekaniye and Hasakeh but we have to assume that we won’t have friendly cities to receive us. Honestly didn’t know you could do all this kind of dental work in the field, really neat stuff.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

https://www.deepsurvival.company

@HiDesertRat- updated website: http://www.deep-survival4.mybigcommerce.com

I believe this is who you are referring to?

RonW

HiDesertRat
    Participant

@farmer,

Yes, appears to be the same. Been gone for awhile here, a death in the family caused lots of reflection, introspection, wish to vanish. As I said above, best to have issues addressed by professionals now rather than in the wild.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly bump for frequently overlooked area of preparedness.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.