Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Do You Carry a Spare Mag for Concealed Carry?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment EDC Do You Carry a Spare Mag for Concealed Carry?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Darkrivers Darkrivers 4 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Well, do you?

If you don’t, why the hell not?

Those of you that have attended DCH have heard this, if you have been on the forum for any length of time have heard it also. Based on the answers that I received during the last DCH class, I need to cover it again.

Hopefully you are carrying your gun all the time. You’re good to go, right? Statistics say that the average self defense shooting is 3 rounds or less and 3 yards or less. So you shouldn’t need a spare mag. Until you have a malfunction. What then?

Most malfunctions can be traced to the magazine. If you don’t have a spare what are you going to do? Throw the gun at them? Run away? Die in place?

What could possibly happen with the magazine that could cause a malfunction? The mag could decide to spontaneously disassemble itself when you draw the gun. Maybe you fat fingered the draw and hit the mag release and the mag fell out. Rounds may have gotten stuck inside the mag body because you heven’t checked you gear and it has lint or M&M’s melted to the top of it. Maybe you haven’t changed out your carry ammo since Christ was a Corporal.

Are the mags that you use for daily carry them same ones you use for training? They may have picked up dirt and rocks. Training mags should always be different that carry mags.

Murphy gets a vote. If you are already carrying a pistol concealed, it’s easy to carry a spare mag.

Let’s talk about those statistics I mentioned earlier. What happens if your fight doesn’t fall in that parameter? What if you need all of the rounds in the mag and you go to slide lock? What then? Maybe you ended up in a situation that has more than one bad guy and the fight last longer than 3 seconds.

Carry a spare magazine. I have never heard anyone that was in a fight complain that they had to much ammo.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I’m probably a freak but I carry 2 spare mags, a tq, a trauma kit, a knife, a light, and a multitool everyday. Obviously this takes some sacrifices. I wear the same brand of pants everyday so my stuff is always in the same place. My clothes accommodate what I carry, not the other way around. And my wife laughs because I have to deal with my EDC but she doesn’t have to worry.
    Thanks for helping us carry the right shit First Sergeant! :good:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I do now….

My first call-out for SWAT (12/1990), I made a nervous smart-ass comment to one of my SGTs re the amount of ammunition he was carrying……his only comment was “Boy, you ever been in a firefight?? Ain’t no such thing as too much ammo.” Felt about 6″ tall. Come to find out he was a combat engineer in VietNam. While clearing a road of mines, they were ambushed and emptied their weapons, ran out of ammo, and went hand-2-hand……such experiences change one’s outlook and priorities.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Yes sir I do!

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of Socks
    Socks
    Participant

Hmm. I apendix carry a spare 19 rnd mag for my G19 and usually have a couple extra 17 rnd mags in a pocket or something. Probably overdoing it but I do hate the thought of running out of ammo.

The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s funny the different Worlds people come from, I can not relate to those that need to be convinced to carry a single spare mag. :unsure:

I almost would feel naked with a single spare mag in my home and that home is shared with five German Shepherds! :yes:

I carry a minimum of two spare mags. More spares in my vehicles and a couple boxes of ammo, not to mention a rifle with spare ammo. It’s not overdoing it since the rifle is just a 30-30. ;-)

Will I ever need it?

I sure hope not!! :-)

I plan for worse case and give thanks never needing it. B-)

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

One of the problems for those of us who haven’t, is carrying in NPE (non-permissive environments). Hard enough to carry deep-cover…..MRIs LOVE ferrous materials :negative:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

I always carry a spare and usually smaller back up gun in a pocket.

On duty I have 4 spare magazines and my back up. One officer joked and asked if I needed that much ammo. I told him I didn’t know, Id let him know after it was all over.

In a gun fight you’ll never wish you had less ammo or a smaller gun.

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Hessian
    Hessian
    Participant

I always carry a spare.

Doesn’t matter if I am carrying a double stack pistol with 15+ rounds or a single stack with 6.

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

Spare mag, multi-tool, and medical

RonW

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

Yes is the right answer but the real answer is that sadly it depends on a lot. NPE has its challenges but something like a Shield size and an extra mag AND a flashlight fit in a SmartCarry for my body shape.You have to have more than just one choice.

Thanks Scott for the reminder again. I know I learned my lesson in class which is an overt hint to all of you that have not taken the DCH.

First Sergeant

You guys that work in a NPE, I get it. Sometimes it’s hard. At least you are aware of it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.) – I am right there with you. I have mags and guns everywhere and a GSD.

Darkrivers – Good to hear a med gear. Everyone else should at the minimum be caring a TQ.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Greg W
    gregw
    Participant

Speaking of spare mags…

I shoot my carry ammo first at the range—retaining the mag in the gun when I reload with my spare. This is to verify reliability of both the mags and the ammo. Spare mags will easily pick up lint if not kept in some sort of mag holster which can cause malfunctions.

I use practice mags for dropping since the range I shoot on is gravel.

Everything gets cleaned including mags and loaded up for carry.

Don’t oil mags. An extremely light coat on the spring is okay but should be wiped with a dry cloth to leave just enough to prevent rust.

Profile photo of mark9mmp
    mark9mmp
    Participant

I carry a reload and ankle med kit. For NPE it depends, usually yes.

Just a regular guy. Native Kansan and current Okie.

Profile photo of Barry Subelsky
    Sam Brady
    Participant

I carry one extra mag at all times. Weather and clothing permi I go up to two mags. Generally will carry a ankle first aid kit whenever possible. I have a small tool bag that
    I carry from car to car with IFAK, extra mags, etc with me.
    A long time ago a soldier bled out in front of me. Nothing we could do to save him. Femoral artery wound. This is an image I carry with me.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Generally will carry a ankle first aid kit whenever possible.

First Sergeant introduced me to this on the Forum.

Rescue Essentials Tactical Ankle Medical Kit, which I’ve adopted for EDC.

Rescue Essentials Tactical Ankle Medical Kit

Product Description

This compact, tactical trauma kit is based on the Rescue Essential’s Ankle Medical System, which was designed by a SWAT officer as an ankle-mounted medical pouch, intended to ensure that every Law Enforcement officer can carry lifesaving medical gear on him at all times. The medical pouch attached on the ankle is perfect when an officer is in a “kneel down” position to render treatment. It doesn’t add unnecessary bulk around the waist, yet is instantly accessible.

The pouch has three pockets, plus a 2″ x 3″ MOLLE ladder.

The Tactical Ankle Medical Kit Includes:

1 SOFTT-W Gen 4 Tourniquet
    1 4″ Israeli Emergency Bandage
    2 Pairs Black Nitrile Gloves

The Ankle Holster Medical Kit can also accommodate the addition of a SWAT-T, a needle decompression kit, or other items sold separately.

Weight: 11 oz
    Dimensions: 19″ L x 5.25″ H (open)

I’ve added a couple of items.

Profile photo of Dmitriy
    dg
    Participant

2 spare mags for the bigger version of my concealed compact handgun, thus giving me 15+1,+18+18 rounds.

Dmitriy G.
    CRS/NF Nov 2016; CTT/Mobility May 2017

"We must never allow the low standards of others, nor their incessant quest for mediocrity and marginal adequacy to limit our climb toward excellence." -- Gabe Suarez

Profile photo of 12aklabs
    12aklabs
    Participant

I always carry 2 spare magazines. 1 Dark Angel Med kit. If I am out and about in the car, then I also carry a small pack with another pistol and 3 spare mags. if I am in my truck, add a rifle and 4 spare mags.

Never give up. Never quit.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I reckon I need to get one of these.

[/quote]

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Another one of First Sergeant’s practical points.

First Sergeant

[/quote]

Dark Angel Medical has one also. I saw the prototype at SHOT earlier this year.

http://darkangelmedical.com/ankle-kit-trauma-kit/

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Anything stand out pro or con vs the Rescue Essentials version?

First Sergeant

Anything stand out pro or con vs the Rescue Essentials version?

It seemed more “stretchy” for lack of a better term.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Darkrivers
    Participant

http://darkangelmedical.com/ankle-kit-trauma-kit/

[/quote]

I’ve been carrying the Dark Angel Ankle kit for several months now. It is super comfortable with a RMT TQ, Hemostatic gauze, gauze, decompression needle, shears, and streamlight stylus pro. However I don’t like the way the velcro is setup, I think there will be long term durability issues.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

Do those ankle kits mess with your stride when you walk or run? I tried running med gear in the calf pocket of my uniform for a while, but it was never comfortable and always floppy.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Darkrivers
    Participant

Doesn’t flop or move around. Very comfortable to wear.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.