Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

DUSTOFF 68

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

From the description:

We would like to offer our profound thanks to Adam Hartswick and the crew of DUSTOFF 68 for sharing their story, and to all those involved in this event. Our utmost respect and regards to the families and teammates of the fallen. We hope that this post will inspire and educate as many people as possible so that more lives are saved in the future. ***Be aware that the following footage from the incident is GRAPHIC.
    Sgt. Adam Hartswick was deployed to Afghanistan with 3-41 Infantry, Alpha Company, when his life was forcefully altered by a devastating attack on his unit May 14, 2013.
    “I was the company senior medic (68W) responding to an attack on our second platoon,” Adam said, recalling that day. “I wasn’t even supposed to go outside the wire that day. I had guard duty, but when I heard that my guys had been hit – I had to go.” Adam jumped into the back of a responding QRF vehicle and rushed to aid his teammates.
    “When I arrived at the scene I immediately discovered that my junior platoon medic, SPC Cody Towse and two other Soldiers were dead.” After the initial explosion, Cody and SPC William Gilbert rushed to aid SPC Mitch Daehling. Mitch was still alive and critically injured. As Cody attempted to treat Mitch, he placed his med ruck on the ground and triggered a second device that killed them all instantly. Cody was posthumously recognized for his heroism and awarded the Bronze Star.
    Arriving on scene with the QRF, Adam worked to set up his CCP and treat the wounded.
    “I was doing human-remains recovery and treating the walking-wounded when the [Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD)] team showed up,” he continued. “The EOD team leader Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Baker came up to me and put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye, and calmly told me, ‘We’re going to save our brothers.’ Moments later he went to interrogate a device and it blew up, killing him about ten meters in front of me.”
    Adam suffered minor injuries from that explosion but was able to continue his medic duties.
    “I shook that off and went to retrieve him when I was blown up,” he said. “It felt like I got hit by a truck! My body was ringing like a tuning fork, but I was still conscious, so I treated myself. I was able to get one CAT (tourniquet) on good and tight but I was missing an index finger and putting that TQ was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Thankfully the platoon leader was competent in TCCC and came to me (in spite of the danger of other IEDs) and applied a second CAT on my other leg and reassessed and tightened my initial tourniquet.” The blast from the IED had critically wounded Adam. “My body was a wreck – I had: bilateral transfemoral amputations, right index finger amputation, partial right thumb amputation, large lacerations on right arm, bilateral perforated eardrums, fractured right hip, mild TBI, various shrapnel wounds, and bruises all over my arms and legs. Somehow I had no torso trauma, no facial trauma.”
    In what would later be recognized as the 2013 Dustoff Rescue of the Year, DUSTOFF 68, C/2-3 GSAB, Hunter AAF, GA (CPT Douglas Hill, 1LT Kelly Ward, SGT Robert Silva, SGT Jason Daniels, and SGT David Hixson), plucked Adam and a wounded teammate from the IED strewn battlefield and raced them to Role 3 care. Remarkably, despite having both legs being traumatically amputated, Adam remained conscious without any pain management until he reached the Role 3 OR where he continued to joke with nurses until he was anesthetized.
    Six days later, Adam was back in the United States at Walter Reed Medical Center recovering from his injuries. Adam’s father, himself career Army, slept in a chair next to his son’s bed for the weeks that it took Adam to fight his way out of intensive care.
    Today, ever thankful for his second chance, Adam works tirelessly to spread the TCCC gospel through his role as a TCCC instructor with Techline Trauma. As Adam puts it, “Every gunfighter needs to be trained to be a medic and every medic needs to be trained to be a gunfighter.”

I have a post in this same section: ‘Intro To Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TC3).

From that post:

M -Massive Hemorrhage – TQ high and tight for massive hemorrhage / traumatic amputation. Seen in the video.

A – Airway – guys are conscious and talking so this can be observed, but must be monitored.

R – Respiration – check for torso trauma / penetration / progressive respiratory distress.

C – Circulation – minor bleeds and get a saline lock in for in case the distal pulses drop out – then hextend 500ml wide open.

H – Hypothermia – notice that although warm weather, blankets are used. These guys have lost blood and their systems are compromised.

I am running a TC3 day as part of the ID mobile class in May.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

EXCELLENT!!

1st rule in trauma – “all bleeding eventually stops” and we durn well prefer it to be because of what we did versus not having any left.

Even in the civilian world, massive bleeding can result in death in less than 2 minutes. I’ve seen my colleagues work a “beautiful code” (if it’d been medical in causation) but lost the patient because the focus was medical rather than trauma.

IIRC, the dead victims in FL shooting bled out…..STOP THE RED STUFF FROM LEAVING THE BODY (vascular space).

How many TQs do YOU have/carry?? At the range, I carry 3 (in various places), I have 2 in my truck, and carry 1 at work (Level 1 Trauma Center). I wish we had had these in the 90s……

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Max
    Keymaster

Bumping.

Among all the chat about WRSA, Survivalblog, and trannies, anyone picking up on this serious business?

:good:

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…anyone picking up on this serious business?

The video is excellent.

From that post:

M -Massive Hemorrhage – TQ high and tight for massive hemorrhage / traumatic amputation. Seen in the video.

A – Airway – guys are conscious and talking so this can be observed, but must be monitored.

R – Respiration – check for torso trauma / penetration / progressive respiratory distress.

C – Circulation – minor bleeds and get a saline lock in for in case the distal pulses drop out – then hextend 500ml wide open.

H – Hypothermia – notice that although warm weather, blankets are used. These guys have lost blood and their systems are compromised.

The question all need to answer, is their training sufficient and do they have the equipment?

If yes, how often do they practice?

Is gear available when you’ll need it?

If your not ready, what are you doing about it?

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

A brief story of one of the ‘you-don’t-know-what-you-don’t-know’ moments I had. Prior to MVT training, I never gave much thought to the TQ. Points were really driven home at FoF. Up to that point, I kept my only TQ in the insert of the IFAK and didn’t think twice about it. After some experience on the two-way range at MVT FoF, I learned two things: A) it was way too hard to get to it in a hurry and B) there are times where you might need more than one TQ. There were at least two times that I could have kept myself “alive” if I had only had a second TQ.

Any chance of an optional TCCC day prior to an MVT class?

Max
    Keymaster

If you are in Idaho in May, yes.

I put that class on per request. I will not routinely schedule it, becasue t becomes a total pain when it does not fill, but you took a couple of people’s money.

I may do something different, such as run a pure TC3 class at my office in Culpeper.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

4 IEDs, now that’s a bad day.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

I may do something different, such as run a pure TC3 class at my office in Culpeper.

I would be very interested, hopefully enough people would see the need and sign-up for a class.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Stabilizing such trauma doesn’t scare me, though I wouldn’t mind avoiding that level.

My concern is evacuation and treatment!

I have some leads I am pursuing in my community regarding treatment, but nothing concrete yet.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

You know, I think about how many times years ago I was in the sticks in West Texas a good 45 min drive from medical care hunting with rifles and nobody, I mean nobody, had a TQ or a clue what to do with a gunshot wound. This kind of knowledge is not just for SHTF.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This kind of knowledge is not just for SHTF.

No doubt on that. :yes:

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

I would attend a TC3 class in Culpeper. Thank you for sharing this. Those men are real heroes and it is a wake up call to train oneself up in combat lifesaver skills.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

You know, I think about how many times years ago I was in the sticks in West Texas a good 45 min drive from medical care hunting with rifles and nobody, I mean nobody, had a TQ or a clue what to do with a gunshot wound. This kind of knowledge is not just for SHTF.

It still happens all the time. At least today most people have cell phones with them.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant
    <a href=”https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forum

It still happens all the time. At least today most people have cell phones with them.

Yep…..check with ANY air or ground EMS personnel and you should be able to hear at least one instance a TQ could have or did saved a life. Heck, even our Level 1 Trauma Center now has has them on the trauma carts.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.