Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Ejection Port Cover

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Skill at Arms (HEMS) Ejection Port Cover

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Much of what I learned in the 90’s has turned out to be a case of “we don’t do it that way anymore”.

I am pretty good about trying to keep the ejection port cover closed, because this used to mean push ups for having it open while not actually shooting.

Am I spinning my wheels with old habits?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think it would be prudent to keep it closed/covered unless its belching hot smoky brass. I know its kept loads of Alaska earth from entering my weapon. Its just a good habit to protect what you can protect so its ready when you need it.

Bergmann

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

After fight is over, it’s a good thing.

Before that, it’s a waste of effort that could be distracting from more important issues.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

We always close it when making the rifle hot, as group SOP. Keeps crap out of the receiver.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Much of what I learned in the 90’s has turned out to be a case of “we don’t do it that way anymore”.

I am pretty good about trying to keep the ejection port cover closed, because this used to mean push ups for having it open while not actually shooting.

Am I spinning my wheels with old habits?

I was trained the same way. We have learned a lot since then.

People were spending to much time trying to close the dust cover after an engagement that they weren’t scanning to see what was going on around them. Training scars.

After a fight when I get a second or it seems like things have calmed down or the bad guys are dead, I will close the dust cover.

When we would lock and load just before moving out on a patrol or just before landing on an LZ, we would close dust covers. We kept them closed.

We just don’t make a point of trying to close it every time after firing a few rounds.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

This had become an Army vs Marine Corps thing at times. While I was taught to do so, and largely still do, I can see the 1st Sgt’s point about being too obsessive about it and not doing other things you’re supposed to be doing.

I would add I’m a black boot, cold war Marine, and that the vast majority of my time was in the bush, not any urban areas. Lots of guys with more current experience have fought in and around more urban areas. So keep this in mind when establishing your own SOP’s.

Like Bergmann said, if you are in contact with dirt, mud, snow, etc. it might behoove you to make this a habit. On the other hand, if you are mostly upright, in an urban area, then maybe not so much.

As always, terrain and situation.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

This had become an Army vs Marine Corps thing at times. While I was taught to do so, and largely still do, I can see the 1st Sgt’s point about being too obsessive about it and not doing other things you’re supposed to be doing.

I would add I’m a black boot, cold war Marine, and that the vast majority of my time was in the bush, not any urban areas. Lots of guys with more current experience have fought in and around more urban areas. So keep this in mind when establishing your own SOP’s.

Like Bergmann said, if you are in contact with dirt, mud, snow, etc. it might behoove you to make this a habit. On the other hand, if you are mostly upright, in an urban area, then maybe not so much.

As always, terrain and situation.

I think we are more or less on the same wave length here.

It just comes down to when should you close it again after a contact. I don’t want people to be concentrating so much on closing the dust cover when their focus should be on other things immediately after an engagement.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.