Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Farmbot

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike QMike Q
    Participant

So I was just turned onto this new technology yesterday. I’m not a computer guy by any means but the fact that this is completely open source is very interesting. Obviously using this on a small single planting bed doesn’t make financial sense larger bed does. Perhaps 3′ x 50′ starts to make more sense.

Get a FarmBot

What do people think who grow large gardens?

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

Does it weed?

Takes a helluva lot of lettuce to probably recoup the costs.

Very cool concept though.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Does it weed?

Only did a cursory look but it has a weeder attachment, that in it’s self makes me want to look more in depth at this.

I truly hate weeding! ;-)

Profile photo of Mike QMike Q
    Participant

Currently it plants the seed, automatically waters each seed, uses its camera to view the garden, kills weeds, and tests the soil. The only thing it doesn’t do is harvest the crop. How many hours are spent seeding, weeding, and watering? At some point there becomes a return on investment. I’m not a farmer so I have no idea. How many hours a season do you spend managing your garden? Is it 50 or 100 hours per season? What’s your time worth?

Again this technology is in its infancy and since its open source you can make your own designs and parts to do whatever you want it to.

Perhaps a track system to move the bot from one planting bed to the next? Perhaps an adapter to add soil amendments? Perhaps a camera designed to track animal movement which triggers the bot to “chase” the animal?

This technology is simply fascinating. With the proliferation of 3-D printers and low cost CNC machining the days of mass produced small items are quickly coming to an end. Within 10-20 years the production of small scale items will move back to the cottage industry style manufacturing of yesteryear.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

That is pretty damn cool. It ties wonderfully into the square foot gardening method of how many plants fit….roughly!!

It says CNC so there will be orienting time and then maybe if you move it from bed to bed but that is no real big deal on a rectangle.

Nice find Mike. Notice in the background on that demo vid there was solar and a dual composter. I am looking at that so if anyone has one, tell me how you like it.

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

The Farmbot deal was cool as all get out.

Agree on the weeding, hate it. So I try to avoid it where possible. Sometimes if you chit your seeds well ahead of time like beans, peas, etc. then till good and plant immediately after, you can get ahead of the weeds a little bit. Outside of that, I don’t have time to obsess about weeding and probably only do it once for most stuff.

Nice find Mike. Notice in the background on that demo vid there was solar and a dual composter. I am looking at that so if anyone has one, tell me how you like it.

You mean the composter or the solar?

We hardly compost much but easiest thing is simply to bury it in your garden space. If it’s something that truly needs to rot first, bury it in a section your not using right now.

We used to do the classic pile up, turn it, blah blah blah deal. The chickens got in there and made a mess of it. Various bugs (not the earthworms your wanting) got in there, etc. Hot humid climate down here. So we got to just making a long shallow trench in garden areas, putting the stuff in there and raking dirt over it. I’ve put things as big as whole chicken carcasses in there.

As to solar- what do you want to know? We are running a little over 5KW and that serves us well. But we have ran as little as 1,600 watts and lived off of that, along with a diesel genset backup.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

Hey Robert
    I was talking about the composter. Most stuff now gets the old school pile method. I get a ton of leaves every year to deal with and am looking into shredding them and composting them.

I will definitely pick your brain on some solar I am planning for this year. I have some small scale test stuff I have been set up with for a while but am considering upping the game a little.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.