Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Fitness Challenge Week 3 Announcement

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness Fitness Challenge Week 3 Announcement

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JohnnyMac JohnnyMac 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Welcome to Week 3 of the Forum Fitness Challenge

In the video below, I announce the workout. This week it’s pretty simple, though not easy.

4 Mile Ruck March w/6 Bricks for Time

Supporting Instructions:
    There are no bonus points for terrain, other than maybe some bragging rights. I would encourage you to seek flat road to perform this on.

I would suggest setting a goal pace somewhere around 15 min/mile, faster/slower based on personal fitness level. A picture will not be required this week. Instead you are required to submit a screenshot from a running app showing distance and time. You can use this running app to track your pace.

Pro Tip: During the event, match up your perceived effort (how your body feels) with your pace shown on the app, and make executive decisions on the fly about your pace.

Some running apps, choose whatever you like, as long as it tracks distance via GPS:
    Strava
    SmartRunner
    Runtastic
    MapMyRun
    RunGO
    Zombies, Run! (good for those who hate endurance activities)

Pro Tip: make sure your app is tracking as you start the 4 miles!

Each app (full disclosure, I didn’t check all these out) should have a feature to share/post/publish a workout. Using Zombies, Run!, I can share it to facebook, set to privacy: only me, and then embed the photo’s link here using the img button. Like this, as an example:

There were also options for email, text, etc. Use whatever works for you, if you need help from a tech standpoint, we can help.

Packing Your Bricks:

I mentioned in an early video the use of a yoga block. It helps get the weight up to an optimal spot on your back in a small capacity pack. Other improvised options to get the bricks placed exactly where you want them could be packing bubbles or foam. Also, try adjusting the suspension on your pack. The goal is to get the weight higher on your back, centered, balanced and stable. A google image search of “pack bricks in ruck” will give you some hints.

Post your results from your running app of choice NO LATER THAN 7/27/17.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

Johnny, Can I send photos of a pedometer with the distance and time? I’m a caveman that still uses a flip phone. I use a kitchen timer and the pedometer, have for years. Actually the 4 mile ruck is my staple workout. It’s exactly 4 miles home to work one way ; been using this method for 3 years. If this doesn’t work I’ll have work with my wife to get in the 21st century…… :unsure:

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Johnny, Can I send photos of a pedometer with the distance and time? I’m a caveman that still uses a flip phone. I use a kitchen timer and the pedometer, have for years. Actually the 4 mile ruck is my staple workout. It’s exactly 4 miles home to work one way ; been using this method for 3 years. If this doesn’t work I’ll have work with my wife to get in the 21st century…… :unsure:

How about this? Choose a 4 mile point-to-point, and then submit a google maps(or equivalent) screenshot along with pictures of you at the start and finish (something of reference in the background) as reference?

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

I’ll try that….thanks

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

Masters level 1. Distance 4.12 miles total time 52.08. Average min/mile 12:40. 286 foot elevation change.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

MikeQ, that looks like an Android phone. Which fitness app is that?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Time: 0630
    Temp: 79
    Humidity: 84%

Bracket: Masters I (37)
    Time: 38:32

I’m not sure why the 4 mile marker isn’t showing up in the screenshot but Scout’s honor, I did it.

Also, some friendly tips:

1) Don’t skip the bubble wrap for the bricks, especially if you’re using a minimalist/thin pack or else you’ll get a 4×4 weeping blister (Ask me how I know).

2) Zip-tie your zippers together if your pack moves a lot or else they will open up and make you carry the weight for .3 miles because you don’t want to stop and fix it (again, ask me how
    I know).

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

@virgilkane – it’s runkeeper. And yes it’s an android.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

Masters I
    Time: 1hr 3 min
    {some body and equipment issues but made the best with what I had)

Attachments:
    Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Took care of things around 0700 this morning, before it got too hot. I was a bit dehydrated, which I’m sure affected things. I didn’t really account for crosswalks and stop lights, but no biggie.

Bracket: Open (33 y/o)
    Distance: 4.00 mile
    Time: 47:55
    Avg pace: 11:52 min/mile
    Avg speed: 5.02 mph

Weight: GoRuck GR1, 30 lb steel ruck plate, about 1.5L of water (About 40 lbs total).

Attachments:

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Virgil Kane
    Participant

62 minutes.
    I used Google Fit and it worked well. Rob, I know you say no Google, but with Android they’re already in my business.

Attachments:

Masters II
    Georgia
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

I have run keeper too but on an iPhone. You guys are motivational for sure and I got the ‘lecture’ from the Doc last week…so I am ghosting this challenge, but modified a little so I don’t literally croak trying.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I have run keeper too but on an iPhone. You guys are motivational for sure and I got the ‘lecture’ from the Doc last week…so I am ghosting this challenge, but modified a little so I don’t literally croak trying.

Great to hear!

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

Master III

time 57:12

note: I was surprised how much my bricks weight. My assault pack w/ bricks(+ foam rubber and duck tape) weights in at 35.2 lbs. Man it seems so much heavier than my 40L ruck at 35 lbs…guess distro of the weight. I’m going to have to dig into my pack…there’s some small sharp thing stuck in the padding of the pack which the brick bring out. Maybe a pebble from overseas(I have a used surplus pack).

link to map route http://mapq.st/2uNqaNR

Attachments:

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Open Age Group
    37:54
    Vomited the final 100m through the finish line.

GPS did some weird stuff (I ran this at a school track) but the time is right. If anyone believes these results less than genuine I will do the event again.

Attachments:

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Heath
    heathplumb
    Participant

This challenge really shed light on what “bugging out” with a pack on your back would be like. It would be rough. Especially if you add on a family with kids and elders. :negative:

I didn’t do as well as I hoped but I’m
    happy to get through this feeling like I have a bit left in the tank. I had to complete this challenge while vacationing in Massanutten so “flat” ground wasn’t really an option.

Masters I
    4.0 miles in 1:11:29

Screenshot has the other details.

Attachments:

Heath Plumb
    Baltimore MD
    RS/CTT 11/2016, CQBI/FOF 6/2017 - Team Deplorables, MVT Fitness Challenge, CQBC 6/2018

heathplumb.design

heathplumb.net

"A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box."
    - Frederick Douglas

Virgil Kane
    Participant

You did great, Heath. Those posting sub 40min cheated…they ran.

That exercise reminded me that after the first 30 minutes it actually gets easier. I’ve been to Philmont scout ranch twice as an adult and we did long hikes daily in the NM mountains. The last time we did a few 10mi hikes and one 13mi+. The first 30min is always the hardest. After that, I can go forever it seems.

Masters II
    Georgia
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of Winston
    winston
    Participant

OK. New (old) guy jumping in late to the party. As I missed the first two weeks and can’t prove my time (damn runkeeper dropped it last night cause I wouldn’t sign on with Facebook), I’ll “audit” the course, but train along with you warriors.

Masters II (51)
    4.0 miles; moderate hilly, muddy trail right after thunderstorm. 89 deg. Humid as F.
    Time: 54:07
    Weight: 42lbs, pack, all in

Healthplumb…I wouldn’t worry about it. That was not a bugout pace. That was a ‘let’s see what I can do for time’ pace. With wife and weapons in tow (and 20+lbs more for food and water), I’d be happy with 12-20 miles a day.

Yes, yes. I know my way around MVT.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@heathplumb No worries bro, as long as you gave it your best shot, rest easy. It’s ok to be unhappy about a result, it’s just a number. Put in the work and you can expect to improve, that’s where the real reward comes from, beating your former self. No one is here to judge you either, and if they are, we can just refer them to Roosevelt’s Man in the Arena. Think about how many people never even attempted what you completed over these past 3 weeks! Keep up the good work B-)

Man in the Arena
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

Weight: 42lbs, pack, all in

Healthplumb…I wouldn’t worry about it. That was not a bugout pace. That was a ‘let’s see what I can do for time’ pace. With wife and weapons in tow (and 20+lbs more for food and water), I’d be happy with 12-20 miles a day.

42lbs…we see how it is winston :good:
    Glad to see you back around @winston

@heathplumb you rocked it man, nice work!

Profile photo of Justin
    Justin
    Participant

dont mind the 3.96, darn thing said4 and only recorded 3.96. Paratrooper knees didnt want to go any faster! 56:36. Open.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Masters I
    Time: 51:24

Attachments:

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Average Joe
    Average Joe
    Participant

Temp 93…real feel 109. Terrain was open ground beside a plowed filed.

Time 60 minutes 15 seconds.

Masters III

Y’all have a nice day.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of JeffSags
    JeffSags
    Participant

Sooooo….

I fractured a rib last night at BJJ. Gonna have to bow out of the challenge for now. :negative: But I plan to complete each workout as I am able.

CRCD AUG 13, CRCD MAR 14, CP AUG 14, CR MAR 15, Shivworks ECQC, MVT RIFLEMAN, CTT AUG 16, CQBC

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

@jeffsags, sorry to hear man, hope a fast recovery for you, those are no fun!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@jeffsags, sorry to hear about that! Here’s to a rapid recovery and tour dedication to keep participating!

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

@jeffsags Sucks about the injury, get well soon!

Great thing about these challenges is that from now on we’ll have a set of standardized workout templates to track personal progress against posted scores. Beats “how fast can you run a mile” or “how much can you bench.”

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of El Lobo
    ellobo
    Participant

Masters 1

Attachments:

I'M NO SHIRKER !

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@ellobo, that is an adorable dog!

Profile photo of El Lobo
    ellobo
    Participant

Thank you.

I'M NO SHIRKER !

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.