Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Fixed Blade Utility Knife to replace a Folder.

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment EDC Fixed Blade Utility Knife to replace a Folder.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wes wesmc 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My primary daily carry knife has been a CRTK Hammond Desert Cruiser for many years.

Second from the top, it has taken much abuse from me demonstrated when compared to the new condition pictured above.

Still is doing what I require, but keeping the various screws (despite locktite) tightened due to my abuse has become tiring.

So awhile back I decided to go back to a fixed blade vice a folder for EDC during my typical rural area routine. I go back to a folder when going to a larger community. Though in Florida I can open carry any size knife; CCW covers concealment if I choose, but I still wanted to be somewhat discrete.

So this eliminates say my Kabar as a bit too militaristic for my preference.

What I was looking for is a basic fixed blade utility knife that looked a outdoorsman knife.

It needed to be tough, work quality, and not break the bank! ;-)

No fancy finnish, looks, or space aged materials.

I spent some time in Central America in the 1980’s and liked the no frills blades used by the rural folk.

So this brought up my memory of Condor Tool & Knife.

CONDOR TOOL & KNIFE traces its proud history back to 1787, the year GEBR WEYESBERG COMPANY was founded in Solingen, Germany.

The quality of the swords, military knives, agricultural tools and household cutlery they manufactured made Solingen the cutlery capital of the world. Over the generations, the world’s largest manufacturer of swords and knives found it necessary to expand operations to other countries to better serve its customers.

In 1964, the company formed IMACASA with a new plant in Santa Ana, El Salvador, filling it with state of the art German equipment and sending some of their local employees to Solingen for extensive training. Today, the factory is turning out the finest quality machetes, knives, axes, shovels and other hand tools.

IMACASA’s Central American operations were sold in the 1980’s to local investors. Today, IMACASA is one of the largest machete and shovel manufacturers in the world operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to fill an increasing worldwide demand for its products.

In 2004, IMACASA developed a first quality line of tools and knives for the North American and European outdoor markets. CONDOR® TOOL & KNIFE was born.

I have experience with their machetes and have seen, but not used their knives before this.

I decided on their Swamp Romper model.

It has a 4 1/2″ blade, 9 1/2″ overall length.

Made of 1075 High Carbon Steel this makes it easy to sharpen and not prone to shattering when abused like some steels used. Walnut handle and leather sheath.

The sheath has a loop on blade edge side that I added a Ferro rod for fire starting.

So far I am pleased with my choice and will update this at the end month point.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I’ve had decent results from Mora knives (http://www.knifesupply.com/mora-knives.html)

Though have not used for hacking trees or such……more along the lines of every-day hunting camp use including skinning/field-dressing thin-skinned animals (white-tailed deer).

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve had decent results from Mora knives

Mora knives are known for being a good bang for the buck!

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

I’ve been a big fan of the Becker line from KaBar. The BK-16 makes a great everyday utility knife, is made from good steel, yet won’t break the budget or make you cry if you lose it.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Nice looking blade.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Nice looking blade.

Happy so far and I am really hard on my knives.

I wasn’t sure if I would like the dangler style sheath (can be used traditionally), but moving around, sitting, tractors, and vehicles it just seems to naturally get out of the way. Can draw with one hand easily. Edge last long enough and doesn’t take much to get it sharpened.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

dangler style sheath

This has been my experience with one of the tools I make.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This has been my experience with one of the tools I make.

Anything short of extreme operations and I am sold on the dangled idea.

Add a tie down cord when needed and it doesn’t interfere with my other gear if I needed to gear-up in a hurry.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I am sold

I like a double overhand knot on itself, with the resulting loop the width of my belt. Carried IWB, it gives it enough support to remain in place, but can still pivot as you move about and sit.

It’s also easy to tie a cord to the existing loop, for more options, like neck carry under a shirt, in MOLLE or other webbing.

The ONLY thing it isn’t good at is going IWB on athletic clothes, but I’ve actually created a stopgap for that.

It’s not flashy, or sophisticated, but it works.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s not flashy, or sophisticated, but it works.

That’s what matters to me. ;-)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I, too, have moved from a folder to a fixed blade for concealed EDC under an untucked shirt or sweater.

Let me premise this with two items: 1) the following solution may sound bizarre, and 2) I much prefer to carry my knife weak side, opposite my sidearm, to use either in lieu of my pistol or in concert with it.

So, after trying a few different knives, and many concealment locations, I have settled on carrying my Randall Made Model #25 Trapper in its standard cover sheath…upside down…outside my waistband…but inside my belt.

See attached.

It deploys quickly and consistently into spine pick, like a dream, with a simple tug on the protruding handle. The only downside I have found is that it is a bit difficult to resheath one handed and without looking.

Anyone else every carried an inverted fixed blade concealed on the beltline before?

:wacko:

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I made this, inspired by the clinch pick (a little bigger than the actual clinch pick). It sits left of centerline, edge up.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Nice! I tried horizontal carry. It seems to work well on shorter knives. But when you get older, and less fit, you may become a bit self conscious of “The Bump” up front.

PS: Mrs sends her best.

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

@johnnymac, can you elaborate on the double overhand idea? I am struggling to visualize.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@johnnymac, can you elaborate on the double overhand idea? I am struggling to visualize.

It’s not the most illustrative picture, but you cansee in this one, the concept. The “tool” goes inside the waistband, with a loop of 550 on the sheath that goes to your belt (or in the photo, pants button).

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

I get it now. Originally I thought you were talking about using cordage with the dangler style sheaths discussed earlier by Joe. I missed the segue. Raven Concealment Systems make a holster like that called the vangaurd. I never thought about using the concept for sheaths. Thanks!

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

6 month update! B-)

The Swamp Romper has been an excellent choice for my needs, whether open carry (95% of time) or concealed it carries comfortably.

It has taken all of the typical abuse I give my utility knives. I truly beat them mercifully! :yes:

The walnut handle is still rock solid, blade takes an sharp edge quickly, no problem with rust despite regularly forgetting to wipe it down, and the sheath shows almost no wear.

Regarding the blade holding its edge, I regularly have to cut large sections of triwall cardboard shipping boxes.

This can dull a blade fast, yet I can get through days easily.

Excellent results from a $45.00 product.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I just recently started carrying this ESEE Izula-II.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

UP-side-down…WTF? :-(

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.