Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Florida School Hires Armed Combat Vets to Protect Students, Teachers

Home Forums Information & Intelligence Florida School Hires Armed Combat Vets to Protect Students, Teachers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Refreshing to hear, but somewhat bizarre choice of rifle. Though Kel-Tec is a Florida company which could have something to do with it.

Florida School Hires Armed Combat Vets to Protect Students, Teachers

Artcle:

Palmetto, Florida’s Manatee School for the Arts is employing two armed combat veterans to protect students and teachers while at the school.

One of the armed combat veterans is already on campus and the second will began guarding by the end of this month.

The New York Times reports that one of veterans will carry a Glock handgun in 9mm and the other will carry a semiautomatic rifle. The rifle is a Kel-Tec RDB 17″, which shoots the same rounds as an AR-15 (.223 or 5.56).

School principal Bill Jones noted that the semiautomatic rifle is “just a much more effective weapon than the handgun is.” He also noted that he likes having the two different kinds of weapons because he does not want an attacker to face the guards on equal footing. Rather, he the combat vets to have “an overwhelming advantage.”

Jones said he was purposeful in hiring combat vets as guards because, in the event of an attacker, he does not want it “to be the first time they’ve had someone shooting at them.”

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

Maybe the Kel-Tec because it’s not “an evil AR-15”? And you’re probably right that it’s a florida based company as well…

Overall I like the idea. How many shooters want to go up against an armed combat vet? All of these crazy ass kids want a high body count so of course they go to an unprotected location such as schools.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Yeah, I’m thinking they just wanted a weapon system that the public wasn’t familiar with. I also doesn’t hurt to use a bullpup in a school, from a maneuverability/velocity standpoint.

I think it’s a great idea.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yea it’s a great idea and each county is approaching it slightly different after Florida passed a law to require armed presence.

Remember we discussed this in the Thread Florida High School Shooting…

It’s partly why I recommend 2 officers per school.

Two SRO’s who wear level IV plate everyday with carbines at the ready (and know SUT) could shut things down pretty quickly and would probably be a deterrent for teenagers (though I never put stock in deterrents)

As to vetting I was thinking actual combat vets, vice LEO’s. Not just “I was shot at once” types, but those extensive experience. Try to stack the deck with those truly ready, vice might be ready.

…almost like they read our Forum. ;-)

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

The only issue I see with this is it may be a novelty for the first year, but the boredom would almost be unbearable. If you think about the statistics of a school shooting in any one school the numbers would be infinitesimal. I was full time fire for over 29 years and if in that 29 years I never had a fire; I would have quite and found something else. I’m afraid for 99.99% of the guys that are willing to do this it would be the same. I’m a huge proponent of training and arming willing teachers. They are already there on the job and have a connection with the kids. I’m not against armed security I just think that over time the combat vets will disappear, to be replaced with wanabe mall type cops who like the prestige of uniforms and guns.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…boredom would almost be unbearable.

It’s the nature of most security work.

I doubt any will make a career of this work, that said there are plenty of combat veterans out there due to the GWOT.

With the exception of protection details in high risk areas, even that is boring 99.9% of the time.

Giving the vast array of “Gun free zones” available I suspect the visual deterrent to be very effective for schools pushing a shift to other targets.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’m not against armed security I just think that over time the combat vets will disappear

Besides, the whole, what qualifies as “combat vet” question (CIB only? CIB/CAB?, deployed?, etc), even if that criteria opened to “combat arms” honorable discharged veterans, at 2 people per school, we’re talking about very few available positions with MANY people meeting that criteria.

I don’t think there would ever be a problem filling these roles.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised if there would be many school districts where 0 teachers wanted to be armed, both from a personal philosophy standpoint and, more likely, the social stigma it would place on them. Public education is inherently political and educational professionals are pretty far left leaning, resulting in conservatives in education remaining incognito.

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Ohio is a good example of teachers carrying. They run a program called Faster. They have trained over 1000 teachers. Just because they were trained does not mean they qualify. At this point I believe they have over 200 teachers qualified and are carrying. They have to keep there quals up yearly.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The Florida law provide for several options from SRO’s, School Safety Officers, and School Guardians.

SRO’s are Deputy Sheriff’s.

School Safety Officers are what is depicted in above article.

School Guardians short version:
    Voluntary program that allows school staff members who complete 132 hours of firearm safety and proficiency training to carry guns, but staff members who “exclusively perform classroom duties as classroom teachers” are prohibited from participating in the program.

Exceptions to that prohibition include:

Teachers who are in the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program

Teachers who are current service members

Teachers who are current or former law enforcement officers

School district participation in the program must be approved by local school board members and the sheriff’s office.

School Guardians long version:
    Establish, if the sheriff so chooses, a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program to aid in the prevention or abatement of active assailant incidents on school premises. A school guardian has no authority to act in any law enforcement capacity except to the extent necessary to prevent or abate an active assailant incident on a school premises. Excluded from participating in the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program are individuals who exclusively perform classroom duties as classroom teachers as defined in s. 1012.01(2)(a). This limitation does not apply to classroom teachers of a Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program, a current servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01, or a current or former law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(1), (6), or (8). The sheriff who chooses to establish the program shall appoint as school guardians, without the power of arrest, school employees who volunteer and who:

1. Hold a valid license issued under s. 790.06.

2. Complete 132 total hours of comprehensive firearm safety and proficiency training conducted by Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission-certified instructors, which must include:

a. Eighty hours of firearms instruction based on the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission’s Law Enforcement Academy training model, which must include at least 10 percent but no more than 20 percent more rounds fired than associated with academy training. Program participants must achieve an 85 percent pass rate on the firearms training.

b. Sixteen hours of instruction in precision pistol.

c. Eight hours of discretionary shooting instruction using state-of-the-art simulator exercises.

d. Eight hours of instruction in active shooter or assailant scenarios.

e. Eight hours of instruction in defensive tactics.

f. Twelve hours of instruction in legal issues.

3. Pass a psychological evaluation administered by a psychologist licensed under chapter 490 and designated by the Department of Law Enforcement and submit the results of the evaluation to the sheriff’s office. The Department of Law Enforcement is authorized to provide the sheriff’s office with mental health and substance abuse data for compliance with this paragraph.

4. Submit to and pass an initial drug test and subsequent random drug tests in accordance with the requirements of s. 112.0455 and the sheriff’s office.

5. Successfully complete ongoing training, weapon inspection, and firearm qualification on at least an annual basis.

6. Successfully complete at least 12 hours of a certified nationally recognized diversity training program.

The sheriff shall issue a school guardian certificate to individuals who meet the requirements of subparagraph 2. The sheriff shall maintain documentation of weapon and equipment inspections, as well as the training, certification, inspection, and qualification records of each school guardian appointed by the sheriff.

The point of this is to allow various counties to select what works for them, obviously a concession for conservative vs liberal political areas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.