Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Grizzly with 9mm Pistol?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Grizzly with 9mm Pistol?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Sure I too would pick something else if in search of grizzly, however as shown shot placement and ammo choice can go a long way.

Alaska Outfitter Defends Fishermen from Raging Grizzly with 9mm Pistol

As Bergmann and others have demonstrated lowly calibers like the 5.45×39mm and 5.56×45mm can work despite the “mousegun label.”

I hiked up about 1500ft to do some rock climbing work. I stopped on a cliff to catch my breath and get some water. I unassed all my kit sat it down and walked to the edge to enjoy the view i earned (first few pics i made below before the attack). I was super beat and even sat my Ak74 down walking 5 feet away but immediately went back for it because I knew better. As i went to get some water from my LBE i looked up and a monster sized Grizzly was sniffing the trail I just came off of and sniffing the air. I credit my DPM for him not seeing me right away. I slid my AK74 off safe and whispered “hey bear” hoping he just get spooked and go. He hadn’t seen me at that point. It was 40-50ft away when he started the charge when he saw me.. I fired 4 warning, 9 shots at the bear and found 7 hits that i could locate on his dead body w/o seeming like i was relishing the kill when the Fish & Game Police came and they helped me skin him out..I shot two volleys. The last volley included the face shot and I broke his front left forearm i was deliberately aiming for.. In the pictures you can see how his leg is crooked in the pic with my foot next to the paw..I didn’t know till later i did actually score that mechanical leg wound as i intended when i found the perfect round entry wound on is leg…. later i came back and got the broke bone.. both halves. He stopped his charge 10 feet from me, got out of my view behind a tree and let out a huge runny poop and jump/rolled off the cliff/rocks dying 300 ft below..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I hate bear so much. They’re a nuisance and ruin everything like a rabid bull in an ICU ward..

I had to disconnect a few pictures in the original thread do to bandwidth drainage so ill re-post them here.. They go with the story above..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This article was timely. I think Ill have a box for my Beretta… In your experiences with the M9, do you know of any issues there might be using that ammo?

LINK

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This article was timely. I think Ill have a box for my Beretta… In your experiences with the M9, do you know of any issues there might be using that ammo?

No problem at all, in fact looking at the information they give:

1088 fps – SIG P226 Elite – with 5 inch threaded barrel
    1116 fps – H&K USP Tactical – with 4.7 inch threaded barrel

This suggest the Beretta 4.9″ barrel should preform at around these chart numbers.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you Florida.

Bergmann

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That Hard Cast, Flat Nosed bullet loaded to +P is likely the best choice of the commercial products available.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I normally stick to factory magazines, but most people I know have had excellent results from Mec-Gar.

I mention this since Mec-Gar does make a 20 round magazine that extends only 5/8″ beyond a flush fit.

An extra 5 rounds for people doesn’t concern me much, but against a grizzly for only a 5/8″ penalty maybe worth looking at.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I never sleep w/o a gun within half a arms reach. Especially in the wilderness. Ive even slept with my TT33 taped inside my hand with black electrical tape if i though I was super tired and might not wake up fast as id like..

Bergmann

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I normally stick to factory magazines, but most people I know have had excellent results from Mec-Gar.

I mention this since Mec-Gar does make a 20 round magazine that extends only 5/8″ beyond a flush fit.

An extra 5 rounds for people doesn’t concern me much, but against a grizzly for only a 5/8″ penalty maybe worth looking at.

Thats good stuff. I could fit a whole box in one mag..Thanks.

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Even though most will never face a grizzly with a 9mm I thought this maybe worth bringing up again for general knowledge for those using 9mm.

Buffalo Bore 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN
    147gr. Hard Cast FN @ 1100 fps
    20 ROUND BOX

This load is designed to penetrate deep (4 to 6 feet) in a straight line, through flesh and bones and that flat nose does considerably more terminal damage, as it crushes its way through tissues, than a round nose bullet does as it slips and slides it way through tissues and that crushing action, keeps the bullet nose forward and ensures very deep straight-line penetration.

———————————————————————

9mm Luger +P+ PENETRATOR Ammo – 124 gr. FMJ-FN
    (1,300 fps/M.E. 465 ft. lbs.) – 20 Round Box

While not cheap this specialty ammo may have a place in your options toolbox.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

So, Bergmann disappeared again? Did we upset him again? These Alaska guys, so prickly.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So, Bergmann disappeared again? Did we upset him again? These Alaska guys, so prickly.

This was his original profile.

His last post here was in September 2017, but his last youtube was in December. So not sure why he seems to have gone off grid this time.

He didn’t delete his newer profile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.