Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Guerrilla gardening techniques in Post-event and as means to develop your AO

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching Guerrilla gardening techniques in Post-event and as means to develop your AO

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Guerrilla gardening is a political movement as much as anything, however many of the techniques can be utilized post-event to help feed you and/or as a backup to the loss of your primary bugout location.

It is possible to plant garden plants of a heirloom seed variety. The idea being that even if not harvested the seeds from the produce will fall to the ground and reproduce even with out supervision. Certainly unattended it will not produce as much as a tended garden and certain plants are more suited to this than others.

Additionally certain wild edible plants can be spread to other suitable locations within your AO, the goal being to cultivate an active and diverse native infrastructure to help support you post-event.

Consider this option for emergency backup to your traditional preparations.

Related subject: Permaculture

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

add plants with medicinal purposes as well. also be a good areas to set traps for forage animals. one thing to recommend is double check your states weed control program. if johnny law stops you and finds you spreading seeds they consider to be weeds, you can find a whole lot of trouble with the suits.

Profile photo of Jane
    jane
    Participant

Don’t forget tubers like potatoes and sunchokes. Although I have stopped eating high glycemic carbs, I still have patches of these just in case of a collapse situation where we might be forced back onto a peasant diet. They are basically “plant and forget” – you can dig them up any time, or leave them in the ground for the next season. Be sure to keep them separate from your main garden or they will take over (especially sunchokes).

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Both justincase and jane make excellent points.

I am at an advantage here in Florida, most things grow surprisingly well without supervision.

Make sure you identify what wild edibles grow in your AO. There are many experts around the country to take some in the field classes for learning proper identification.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You can also use Guerrilla Gardening to to mark cache locations. I figure as long as I am digging to bury one or two, 120mm ammo cans, might just as well plant some “Yukon Gold” Potatoes. Then sprinkle some Shasta Daisy seeds to make finding the cache easy.

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

yukon golds are excellent potatoes. They grow well in my location in VA. the Daisy idea is pretty cool, they will volunteer each year if they like the location. I have regular ‘volunteers’ in my garden areas and I always let them grow since they decided they like the environment there. my new volunteer this season was tiny pumpkins, a bit bigger than a softball. The one vine produced 5.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You can also use Guerrilla Gardening to to mark cache locations. I figure as long as I am digging to bury one or two, 120mm ammo cans, might just as well plant some “Yukon Gold” Potatoes. Then sprinkle some Shasta Daisy seeds to make finding the cache easy.

Ive considered them but I see nothing keeping a bear from sniffing them out and tearing them up. Or even moose, as Ive watched them dig up roots and eat them. I wanted to put some (thing) at my main hub shelter but i know they pass through that area quite regularly and I don’t want to give them any incentive to hang around or frequent their visits..Also they do not do well in the wet which negates most everything from south central, South,,

If you have some chronological proof and feed back of a GG of any sort in Alaska that would be great. I may revisit that idea of GG. Pics of your progression of any GG would be great too.

Bergmann

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

add plants with medicinal purposes as well. also be a good areas to set traps for forage animals. one thing to recommend is double check your states weed control program. if johnny law stops you and finds you spreading seeds they consider to be weeds, you can find a whole lot of trouble with the suits.

Yeah, Johnny Law tends to not care for some medicinal “weeds”.

“Some said it was a flower…some said it was a weed…I didn’t give it much thought.” :yahoo:

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I use Moth Balls

Ive considered them but I see nothing keeping a bear from sniffing them out and tearing them up.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I use Moth Balls

Ive considered them but I see nothing keeping a bear from sniffing them out and tearing them up.

Now your confusing me. Mothballs are a pesticide made of Naphthalene. Its toxic and will contaminate soil and water, thus spoiling food. Also mothballs will melt in the rain….Plus it illegal.

Ive heard of using mothballs in storage to discourage curious smells from escaping. Ive used it in the past in earlier survival pods, but never for food products or outside in the open.

Bergmann

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Naphthalene…….Before they were called Gasoline Stations, they were called naphtha stations. If fact you can mix Moth Balls and water and run a gas engine. All I can tell you is we have used Moth Balls for decades as a bear deterrent. They do not melt fast, and last about 30 to 36 months as they evaporate. I use them on all of my cache sites. When guiding bear hunters on Kodiak and Afognak Islands, we use Moth Balls to keep bears out of camp when we a gone from camp. You are correct you don’t use them in an enclosed area, or even outside the tent yet under the rain fly. We put them everywhere but in or near the tents. I use about three boxes a year on my cache sites. They do not work on birds. The birds do not eat them, but it does not discourage the dammage the birds (Ravens and Magpies) do.

Naphthalene.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

When you mention mothballs I thought you meant you used them in that capacity. I agree they are a good bear deterrent.. Ive offered that advice to others in the past. But I cannot see them being effective in a Guerilla Garden w/o being directly near the product and contaminating them along with everything around them…

Aside from that seeing stories of bear ripping through cars to get to a candy-bar wrapper id have to wonder how well if would work. Alas I’ll never know .. Its not for me and it illegal..

Bergmann

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This page suggests plants will absorb and hold the toxins

Page

In the environment, the active ingredients in mothballs will eventually dissipate, but the time these chemicals remain in the soil varies widely. Although they are usually filtered from municipal water supplies, both naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene are taken up by plants and retained in tissues when dissolved in the soil. The fruits and leaves of food plants that have been treated with mothballs may be toxic, depending on their level of exposure to these chemicals.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What is ILLEGAL…..???? Moth Balls…..???

Its not for me and it illegal..

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Its a registered household pesticide and its illegal to use it any other way then its intended. As petty as that sounds its the little stuff that usually gets ppl in a court room..

Bergmann

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.