Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Head shot

Home Forums The Lounge Head shot

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

For those wondering WHY to take the Defensive Concealed Handgun class from Scott……

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/husband-shoots-home-invasion-suspect-holding-wife-at-gunpoint/285-575024500

And, yes, we went over this in class……multiple times….. AAR in progress….

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Chance
    Chance
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that. It really helps you remember your “why” when it comes to consistent training and practice.

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

So then this is a pretty big endorsement for a red dot on a pistol right? Losing focus on the target due to focusing on the front sight, or vice versa, makes that shot way riskier. What do you think?

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well first Wheelsee’s premise is obviously correct, this is why you need quality training by First Sergeant!

The next thing requires assumptions on our part given the limited information available in this report.

We are assuming the husband was properly trained and prepared for this situation given the favorable outcome.

However this may or may not be true.

Additionally we assume he intended to shoot the bad guy in the head, we hope this is the case, but this is not known.

Surviving encounters with violence doesn’t necessarily verify ability, but training and experience certainly increases the likelihood of survival.

I point this out as a often overlooked part hostile encounters. I personally have made mistakes in my Military career; despite my training, that if the opponent had been better I wouldn’t be making this post. The trick is learning from these lessons and spreading this knowledge. This is also a good endorsement of FOF training.

So then this is a pretty big endorsement for a red dot on a pistol right?

Was he even using a pistol? :unsure:

What was the distance and lighting?

Trained and ready with the chosen firearm?

Giving that this was his Wife. I would make the case that the hardest part of this engagement was overcoming the mental obstacle of his Wife being held at gunpoint. No small feat IMHO.

Yes I am being heavy on pointing out assumptions, but that is part of my role here. ;-)

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

TC, red dots on a pistol, can be slightly slower, although with training, not so much. Accuracy however is increased. Just like red dots over irons on your rifle. With my G19 I’m able to hit torso size targets at 100 yards. I’ve heard of others way better than me going out to 200 yards. At cqb ranges aimed slow shooting is often same hole. Still without training it’s a moot point.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Good to know, Roadkill. And thanks for the assumptions-pointing, Joe.

Here’s another news article with more info:

Investigators tell Eyewitness News that around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday the woman was standing in the driveway next to the couple’s Suburban when the incident happened.

The man says he was inside the home when he heard his wife screaming.

When he went to the window, he saw two men with guns trying to push and drag his wife into the home. Police say he grabbed his pistol, went outside and confronted them.

So, outside, 10:30PM, pistol. That’s all I can find.

Reason I ask is because with irons I can do quick 10 yard headshots consistently under simulated stress, but 25 yards only if take my time and really focus which wouldn’t be the case in a life-death situation. Never tried an RDS at that distance but from what Roadkill says it would boost confidence in making a good hit.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

1030 PM, Houston. The sun has already set. The only light will be artificial, I.e. street light, security light, spillage from the house/car, etc. maybe a flashlight IF he grabbed one.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Reason I ask is because with irons I can do quick 10 yard headshots consistently under simulated stress, but 25 yards only if take my time and really focus which wouldn’t be the case in a life-death situation. Never tried an RDS at that distance but from what Roadkill says it would boost confidence in making a good hit.

What part of the head are you aiming for?

Where are your rounds impacting?

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

What part of the head are you aiming for?

Where are your rounds impacting?

Forehead between the brows. Glock 19 with SpeedSights. Elevation seems correct at 25 yards, and around an inch low at 10 yards. It’s more a group size issue for me. My last range trip, when taking my time and aiming carefully with proper front-sight focus while standing, I did 10-round 4″ groups @ 25 yards using Aguila 9mm FMJ. But if I were shooting reactively under stress then it would probably be torso-sized groups at that range.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

When you look at the head, visualize an upside down triangle that runs across the top of the eyes and then down to the tip of the nose. That’s your box. Anything in there, straight on, will turn the switch off.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.