Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Hemostatic Gauze

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Palmetto
    Palmetto
    Participant

For stocking the IFAK, which is the recommended hemostatic gauze and where is the best (most cost effective) source to purchase?

I see QuickClot Combat, Celox, Celox Rapid, Chito, and a whole host of drugstore, sports boo-boo products.

Should I just fork out the dough for a QuickClot Combat gauze and be done with it or are there viable options or serious considerations between the available products?

I obviously don’t want to be a cheapskate on the stuff that I’ll be counting on to save my life, but by the same token I don’t want to be making expensive mistakes either.

All input welcomed!

Pray for peace but prepare for war.

CR, Nov 8-9, 2014; CTT, Apr 24-26, 2015

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

A few years back one of our goats got out and our “pack” of dogs mauled it.

When I got to her she was pretty tore up- as best you could with a goat, I stopped bleeding on the neck and other visible wounds. Still, she was slowing down and I could tell she was dieing. Doing a more thorough survey there was a small puncture wound near her teats. She was moving the whole time so I missed this first go around. I could tell the puncture was deep and it had to be the main problem as everything else was addressed. With the “do something” mindset I tried to pack loose Celox in the puncture wound.

It occurred to me later that the Celox long applicator deal (kinda looks like a syringe) would have been helpful in that situation.

In our kits I have Celox gauze and the puncture wound applicators, Quickclot gauze and some loose Celox.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Palmetto
    Participant

Hey Robert, good story. Good consideration for the applicator.

Question: why Quickclot gauze AND Celox gauze in your kits? Just redundancy or are there advantageous differences between the two products?

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Quick Clot combat gauze is recommended by the committee on tactical combat casualty care. It is a Z fold with a hemostatic. Great for packing. You want a Z fold something, not granules.

Is it better than traditional Z fold gauze? Maybe, Maybe not. The studies are inconclusive.
    “The current evidence appraised for this review was a
    combination of findings from research using a porcine
    model16,28-34 and from lower-level human research.35-37
    The evidence did not conclusively demonstrate that
    QuikClot Combat Gauze is an effective hemostatic agent
    for use in trauma patients, but the results were promising
    in supporting QuikClot Combat Gauze.”

My own personal experience is inconclusive. Theoretically it should work better than standard gauze.
    So standard Z fold gauze vs kaolin gauze vs chitosan gauze?
    If it is a choice between 15 packs of H&H compressed gauze or one pack of combat gauze I would choose the 15. If you are only buying 1 or 2 it makes a certain sense to buy the combat gauze.
    That being said: Only one or two of my IFAKS have CG in it. The rest just have standard Z fold gauze and I don’t worry.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

Interesting topic..
    I was looking at this just last night.

Gauze is an eligible expense for a flex medical spending account. So is nearly every first aid product. If you have this type account, you can save a little of the total cost of the products assuming you have enough left over to use on this type purchase.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

The little H and H compressed gauze that Duane mentioned are the shiz for your kit. Very small yet tons and tons of gauze in there for packing and a lot of general stuff you use 4×4’s for.

I’ve went away from the granules as much as I could, rotating the gauze in it’s place.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

I have heard some (nonscientific) info that even though hemostatic agents may be good at stopping a bleed in the short-term, they may do some long-term damage. Supposedly little bits of the agent can/do migrate through the circulatory system and can create a clot and/or cause stroke or heart attack later.

I know there’s a “stop the bleed NOW and worry about that shit later” issue involved here – kinda like the worry about losing a limb when you put a TQ on – but if something like QC Combat Gauze is not 100% no-shit proven more effective than standard gauze, is it worth the risk?… especially in a post-SHTF setting, where well-stocked/staffed hospital and trauma docs will be slim to none?

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Palmetto
    Participant

Great input going on here. Lots of food for thought. I’m getting some real points of debate that’s going to contribute greatly to making an informed decision.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Both the QC Combat Gauze and the Celox Rapid Gauze are very good.

With the new generation gauze products the long term problems have been eliminated. On the flip side you need to live long enough for a long term problem to manifest, understand if you bleed to death first you will not have any long term problems associated with your injuries. The same non-sense exists with TQ’s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.