Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Homebrewing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tomxsquidgator
    Participant

Not *exactly* a farming thing, but kind of, and it is self-reliance.
    Anyone else here into homebrewing as a self-sufficiency thing, aside from the fun benefits of having lots of alcohol on hand?
    I am finding homebrewing a satisfying hobby with many similar benefits to reloading ammo, on several levels.
    What got me over the hump to go and start trying it was a young girl’s ballet lessons. A friend’s daughter is taking ballet lessons next door to a homebrew store, he got into it with the 3 hours every week he had while taking her to ballet, and now … it’s kind of becoming another go-big-or-go-home hobby like reloading and bullet casting was. But very cool.
    Wine and cider are even easier to make than ale/beer, since it’s all room temperature and there’s no cooking. And in Florida at least, no sales tax on the supplies for it since it’s food and in the eyes of the state, you could be making bread with all that wheat and barley, and they don’t tax food here!

If nothing else, this strikes me as something that might be handy to know as a bartering skill.

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Profile photo of Brian from GeorgiaBrian from Georgia
    Participant

You should bring some to our next get together :yes:

I’ve been meaning to get into home brewing. One of my training partners is into it. He will be at the next get together.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Trailmantrailman
    Participant

Been in and out of it for about 20 years. Still a member of the local brew club. Been looking at this with friends lately.

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/

Every prepper should have a was to distill water, for sanitary reasons. B-)

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Max VelocityMax
    Keymaster

I just finished my first batch of mead….just in time for Xmas presents. It ended up as dry and sweet, with a decent ABV (I do not know exactly, because I forgot to measure the entire time). Even though honey can be pricey, I think (setup included) I spent about $250 for 3 gallons worth of mead. And it is delicious. :yahoo:

Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

I brewed a couple batches and they turned out pretty good. Part of the fun was emptying the Grolsch bottles to refill!! That was many moons ago bit it is on the list to get back to some day.

I like the distillation for sanitation but fuel can be made too :whistle:

Profile photo of Tomxsquidgator
    Participant

If it’s ok with Dennis, I’ll bring some for after the AAR!

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Profile photo of Dennis WDennis W
    Participant

Bring it.

MTV Alumni - N. Central Florida
    Sept 27 – Oct 03 2014 TC3-CTT-CP + NODF
    RC1, RC2, Rifleman 2015
    Sept 2016 Run & Gun/ CQB
    Oct 2016 FOF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.