Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

HOW do You ID your MAGAZINES……???

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons HOW do You ID your MAGAZINES……???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would like to know how you keep your magazines Identified. I run three different bullet weight/types in my AR-15 depending on time of the year and the days planned activities. That is for the 5.56X45

Now for the 6.8 SPC I have four different bullet weight/types.

In the beginning I used duck’tape of different colors to keep things straight.

Little by little I have had to shift to painting the magazines. As of now the color code system starts from the Bottom of the magazines. If the lower 1″ of the sides and bottom are any shade of green that magazine is 5.56X45 ammo.

If the lower 1″ of the sides and the bottom are any shade of brown that magazine contains 6.8 SPC ammo.

Some magazines are also color coded with a special AR-rifle or AR-15 pistol. Example: the 77 gr. Match King ammo is further color coded to the AR-15 with the 20″ barrel (with one in seven twist) and higher powered optics.

So how do you keep your shit straight……???

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I keep it simple.
    My 30 roungs mags get alll 55 and 62 gr that not special. my 20 round mags (of which there are not many) get my 69gr match grade ammo.
    SO I only divide in 2 kinds of Ammo, matchgrade and non matchgrade.

So if I need to take a longer shot I can just switch mags and at short ranges the different types of ammo dont matter much to me.

The tricky part is to decide in which ammo to zero your gun.
    Differences while very minor may exist.
    I start a rough zero with my cheap ammo and fine tune it with the match grade ammo. (Ecept on my 14.5 inch barrel CQB set up where i really dont care and only zero and carry the non match grade)

That way in those rare instances when I would need an accurate longer shot I know the gun is 100% zeroed for it.

And when I shoot near I dont really care if I zeroed my rifle on the ammo i am shooting because differences will be too minor to affect anything.

In the interest of full disclosure all that is theoretical since its been a 1.5 years that I been at a range where I can shoot 300m.

All else has been short range since then but I still try to follow my (to me) best practices on how to zero and how to carry, the accurate and the not so accurate Ammo.

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

I only keep a couple loaded with 77 SMKs and they are on the top of the pile. Everything else is 55 gr or 62 gr.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

Just acquired my first batch of long range 5.56mm ammo (Mk262 clones) so this is a timely thread as my stocks have been all 55gr (mostly M193) up to this point thus have not needed a marking system.

I have, however, had to mark my Glock mags. I run a G23 with a 9mm conversion barrel as my EDC but I have a second G23 with the OEM .40 barrel. Since G19 and G23 mags will fit in both guns I mark the baseplates with spray paint: Tan for 9mm mags (G19 and G17 mags), OD green for cheap Korean G19 mags (for range use only). The G23 and G22 mags are un-marked. I then number them with contrasting Sharpie or paint pens.

Max
    Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

AR mags in the chest rigs all get the same ammo, so each gun has a set of mags for it and I mark them as such. If one is damaged, I replace it and remark the mag like the lost one. Each 5.56 gun has a set of 15 mags that is used with it. I’m always aware of tolerance stacking, so I keep the mags I know work with that rifle, with the rifle. The mags loaded in the rifles for home defense are the original Magpul aluminum windowed mags, and have ranger plates to discern from the others.

I’ve bought in to the 40 round Pmag change, but have yet to get enough testing in to verify they are 100% reliable. After mid summer, I should have an answer.

Glock mags. I have 5 different glocks, 3 of which are full size 9/40 design. I only mark the full size mags due to having 2 9mm and 1 40 cal. The 40 is in a cache at another location, but I did mark all the mags for it with a 4 as a prefix. All the rest of the 9 mags are prefixed with the first letter of my call sign. The subcompact 9mm doesn’t need to be marked, I only have 3 mags for it and it’s a backup. The EDC gun is a glock 29 and it’s mags are obviously larger than the others.

The REPR’s each have 10 Pmags with them. The ammo differs in the mags and I know by placement in the PC what’s what. In the PC I carry 6 + 1 in the gun. 4 mags are lightweight Spitzer ammo, 2 are ball/ap mix. The mag in the gun is loaded with mid weight spitzer ammo. The 3 mags on my leg platform are all ball. The mags are all marked with call sign first letter and either P or S depending on which gun they go to. P-Patrol system, S-Sniper system. The Sniper REPR has 6 mags in a pack and I put 3 in the leg platform, one in the gun. It’s all loaded with 175g SMK match ammo that is custom made for the gun. It CAN be fired in the patrol gun if needed.

Profile photo of Free Chicken Dinner
    RRS
    Participant

Well if you can afford multiple REPRs have you thought about having Gunga Din carrying ammo for you? “Oh boy bring up the AP would you, and be quick about it.

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Max
    Keymaster

I thought about hiring a sherpa, but Mike Tyson’s schedule was filled.

The REPR’s are a new thing. Sold off my old Colt collection to fund it. If you want a rock reliable system in 308, you gotta pay.

No way I’d ruck with one, but it fills a void. When you absolutely, positively have to kill a Buick, it’s what you need. They are heavy as hell, but effective.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Max
    Keymaster

If they fit in my rifle, they’re mine. ;-)

I spray paint the floorplates and number them so I can keep track. Since I run nothing but M855, that’s pretty simple. Bad mags get painted blue (NATO standard color for training aids.) and used in training.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I thought about hiring a sherpa, but Mike Tyson’s schedule was filled.

The REPR’s are a new thing. Sold off my old Colt collection to fund it. If you want a rock reliable system in 308, you gotta pay.

No way I’d ruck with one, but it fills a void. When you absolutely, positively have to kill a Buick, it’s what you need. They are heavy as hell, but effective.

Hotness!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.