Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

How many AR15s should a person own?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons How many AR15s should a person own?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roadkill Roadkill 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Obviously as many as possible is the best answer but there has to be a balance between basic preps, ammo, gear, etc.
    Is there a general rule of thumb on this stuff? I am at 3 AR15s and a bunch of spare parts, with ban talk and all the other non sense I am just curious if I should add another AR15 or work on other things such as ammo, preps,etc?

BTW, All my ARs are built as basic general use rifles not specialty builds.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Everyone will have a different opinion.

What good is having a bunch of rifles, but insufficient training, ammo, and magazines?

My general idea is a rifle, handgun, and shotgun per person as a basic list. For most the shotgun is for hunting so with a large family after a couple you probably have enough.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

3 is good. Move on to capabilities in other areas. :good:

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

I own 1 top flight big dollar AR go to war carbine which I trust, my second AR is a step down and IMO which is not expert by the way I think it a bit of a franken gun between new trigger, buffer choice, new collapsible stock and whatever gas system was put on the original. Then I own a spare upper for it which BTW if you want accurate Rock River Arms builds accurate, but then its putting a rifle length gas system on who knows what of the franken gun.

I also like my S&W M&P 15-22lr with Performance Center upgrades, if you like to shoot hundreds of rounds practicing some of your skill set it is the beast.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

One? A 14″ pinned (same length as m4) is a sweet spot for me. Maybe two? A 16″ and an AR pistol?

Training, training, and more training needs to be the focus. A dangerous man, is a dangerous man.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

I like to have 2 for each shooter in the house. One “training” rifle that eats several thousand rds per year, and one “business” rifle that gets shot enough to prove that it works, but is more or less held in reserve for serious use.

More than that, and I think we’re talking about “toys”. Nothing wrong with toys, though!

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of RobM
    RobM
    Participant

How many days are in a week? lol. Training is what makes one dangerous. However, thinking very long term…what happens when/if new laws are passed? 5, 10, 15 years from now? I’m thinking for my child’s future, not just mine. Same goes for mags, ammo and parts.
    With that being said, if something bad; TEOTWAWKI event were to happen then there’d be enough to pick up off the ground from those that never got training or actually used their tools.

RS+CTT, HEAT 2

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Sound advice here, thanks for the replies.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Training.

It amuses me when I read the above comment about laws being passed and what to do down the road – which implies that no-one will do anything about the precious 2A, which is in fact what I think will actually happen, social media tough guys and memes aside.

Given that, for now and even more relevant for the future, have you given thought to AirSim as a training option? Look right of this to the ad in the sidebar. I am not talking about airsoft but Airsim professional training rifles.

Even now in non-permissive states or simply depending on where you live you can get a lot of tactical training done with AirSim. I have sat and imagined a day when I am running classes on the live ranges with AirSim. This is relevant to people in non-permissive states even now. Given draconian laws, your actual weapons will have to be at the bottom of a lake in a boating accident while you train entirely with AirSim.

I have even contemplated junior classes now where we run the ranges with AirSim rifles, which run just like real steel but mitigate safety worries.

I also need to get out and re-run those Max Talks where I did live fire F&M with my PTS Rifle.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

And a functional fitness training program.

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Airsim looks pretty interesting,How durable are these training rifles? What does service life and maintenance look like?

Thanks for the replies, impressive forum you got going here.

Profile photo of RobM
    RobM
    Participant

The comment that I stated about new laws being potentially passed in the future wasn’t a defense of not upholding the 2A. It was purposed to the idea of not having access to the AR platform years down the road, or not having parts readily available. Heck, just look at the last “scare”, where one couldn’t even find a LPK for a rifle or a single magazine selling for $100. The market was dried up, in what seemed like a blink of the eye. My comment was directed to the thought of having it now, and you won’t have to search for it later. But yes, I see your angle and understand your viewpoint.

RS+CTT, HEAT 2

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

I would say buy Air Sim now from Max. I have no doubts that these too can and will be banned. I’m saving and will do it as soon as I have the money. You can also get green gas adapters for the blue propane torch bottles. You put a couple of drops of silicone in the orifice and you’re good to go. It’s much cheaper than cans of green gas. I’ve used it with no problems in KWA pistols.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.