Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Hurricane Michael: Gulf Coast Threat

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Hurricane Michael: Gulf Coast Threat

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Support Side ffhounddog 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yep another one to keep a eye on!

Wind arrival times are important as a deadline for outdoor preparations.

For us Floridians remember things can change and this is very close so little warning if a major direction shift.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Batten down the hatches folks, it’s coming right for us Ned!

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Basically today and tomorrow to secure outside.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something else to consider here in Florida many inland waters are at levels that most haven’t seen in over 30 years.

Areas that haven’t seen flooding in those past 30 years could see flooding now because of these prior existing higher water levels.

Check flood maps and talk to the oldtimers in your area for best information.

Do not underestimate this change in conditions.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

This has the potential to drop a bunch more rain on the Carolinas that are already soaked.

Pay attention.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

It’s the ‘boy who cried wolf’ for me. Tired of weather channel ‘sky is falling’ fake news!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s the ‘boy who cried wolf’ for me. Tired of weather channel ‘sky is falling’ fake news!

After your recent experience I don’t blame you one bit.

There is a balance to be struck regarding these events and is the reason I keep things in a state of readiness.

This hurricane is predicated to be a fringe glancing event for me, but could change direction or die becoming a big nothing or could become a bigger threat.

I have invested around a hour or my time to clean up yard of potential projectiles due to winds and prep some equipment.

Now I am good. Of course if I had done nothing, my state of preparation had me covered mostly regardless.

I cringe every time they hype these threats for the very reason you state.

Still hoping for some upper level shearing to kill it before landfall. ;-)

My time under threat of hurricanes has had far more threats than actual storms hitting.

Of course a good old fashion severe thunderstorm can do as much damage on a small localized scale in my area.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

From another thread.

Took me longer to mow grass than get this done, got to keep things looking nice regardless of a hurricane.

Though I take preparedness serious think about my above statement.

Part of my hurricane preparations is making sure my lawn is freshly mowed! B-)

While this is a threat, it isn’t the end of the world to me! ;-)

Whether a direct catastrophic hit or a complete miss!

Life goes on. :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I live in the middle of SC. Usually when a hurricane comes through, by the time it gets to us it is just high winds and a lot of rain.

Usually.

The exceptions being Hugo in 1989 which came ashore in Charleston and did serious damage all the way to Charlotte.

2015 Hurricane Matthew. High winds and lots of rain. After it passed we ended up with the 100 year flood in and around Columbia with houses destroyed.

So we have to take all hurricanes seriously.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Now apparently people are not evacuating, and will die under storm surge. Either true, or more fake news. Either way, blame the weather channel for crying wolf every time!

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Not to make light of the damage and the hurt being put on the residents, but blogger Karl Denninger who lives just west of landfall is saying that were no reports of Cat 4 from that area the only reports were from the hypesters on TV. A TV reporter even drove thru the eyewall into the beach town in landed in, a Cat 4 would have picked up the vehicle and tossed it over.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Now apparently people are not evacuating, and will die under storm surge. Either true, or more fake news. Either way, blame the weather channel for crying wolf every time!

Agreed. Unfortunately that is how they stay in business. The commoners love drama.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Either way, blame the weather channel…

The good news is I didn’t see any of that dramatic standing in the wind faking it!

Just standing in a breeze footage. ;-)

Hurricanes are dangerous, but now it’s about climate change and my SUV. :unsure:

All a bunch of crap.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I have a friend at Rucker – “mostly just rain and wind gusts”

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Came through late last night, regular power cut out about 11:30

Heading out to start clean up in a bit, looks like a mess.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

I lived on a barrier island in FL for 6 years and had water in my house 3 times. Bridge approaches are very low and flood preventing leaving or returning in a lot of cases. When the water , 360 degrees around you all the way to the horizon raises 4-6 feet, it is quite impressive and happens very quickly. It is a tough decision sometimes but there is a point where you make your choice and you go from there. My emergency plan for that storm was to evac the house to a very large boat docked nearby and cut it loose if needed. At least we would be on top of the water!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Heading out to start clean up in a bit, looks like a mess.

Keep safe.

Profile photo of Support Side
    ffhounddog
    Participant

I just got back from working this hurricane. It was not fun.

Support Side. Not flattering but better than weak side.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.