Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Hurricane Preparedness

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Hurricane Preparedness

This topic contains 45 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With a another new Hurricane threat and Harvey fresh on our minds thought I would link some of the various articles relating to hurricanes/tropical storms/tropical depressions.

Always Ready or Last Minute Preparation?

Hurricane Arthur 2014

What are you guys doing to get ready for the Hurricane?

Tropical Storm Hermine

Hurricane Matthew

Got Cash?

Hurricane Harvey

Texas Aftermath: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Zello App

Hurricane deaths 2/2 secondary causes

Zello as a source of Information.

Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Nate Still Strengthening Just Hours Away From Gulf Coast LandfalI

As time goes I will edit this Thread with updated links.

If anyone wants to ask questions, tell their stories, etc…please do.

We have quite a bit of collective knowledge on this Forum and I’ve been involved with many Hurricanes/Typhoons worldwide.

The basics should be familiar with our members, but the biggest advice is don’t wait until storm threatens for having the basics available.

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

I’ve heard a rule of thumb that you should evacuate for safety, if a Cat III or above is expected where you are (central FL, 20 miles inland from Cape Canaveral).
    Keeping a close eye on the track. Not inclined to evac, if the track takes a cat III/IV straight up the length of the state, figuring it will weaken as it comes north. As always, watching each hourly update like a hawk.

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve heard a rule of thumb that you should evacuate for safety, if a Cat III or above is expected where you are (central FL, 20 miles inland from Cape Canaveral).

Check your counties evac PDF’s and flood history for your location.

Consider the construction of your home.

What codes were present when constructed?

What can you do to update your roof/joists/etc..?

Condition of tress on property and relation to structures, vehicles, etc..?

Evacuation is always the safest option, but it is your judgment call.

Update: Added Got Cash? link.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As I have time I am going to address some of the various threats that are involved in a hurricane. Initially they may appear somewhat disorganized in order of appearance, but since this will take time and maybe helpful right now, I’ll edit its format once complete.

I’ll start with some of the threats I feel are under-appreciated by those who haven’t experienced it.

High speed winds:

High velocity winds are something most have little experience with, the constant pressure they exert on structures based on its sail area can not be imagined.

After hurricane Andrew there were some neighborhoods that looked like they had been vacuumed up, foundations and debris were literally all that was left.

Regardless of the construction of your home you must also consider the surrounding homes construction if you live in a traditional neighborhood.

Why?

Consider what happens to the poorly constructed house downwind of yours when its structural integrity fails!

Now your not dealing with only winds, but wind driven shrapnel potentially battering your home. Imagine a 2×4 traveling at 200 mph hitting your window!

This brings up the threat of debris to people who venture outside of their home regardless of reasons. You need to stay inside!

One point I’ll make since I never say never. Let’s say something has motivated you to risk such unwise action. Maybe your neighbors house just collapsed. Maybe it’s your Sisters house with her 5 kids. Anyway you’ve decided to risk it. Got a helmet? Body armor? Riot gear (probably not)? Wear every possible protective equipment you have with real goggles. Think of the gear you’d wear for FOF training and you get some idea of what I am talking about.

I wouldn’t recommend it, but best I’ve got for daredevils. ;-)

As bad as the winds can be remember hurricanes can cause “spin off” tornadoes too!

Everything outside needs to be brought indoors or secured by heavy tie-downs.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Medical gear and training:

If you or someone your responsible for gets injured you need the ability to stabilize them for a indeterminate period of time. You can not expect 911 help to be available; it maybe, but don’t count on it. Don’t forget pets and livestock in these preparations.

Consider how you store these items so you do not lose them should something like your roof being blown off happen. Watertight protective case.

Don’t overlook any daily medications needed in secure container. Always have an extra months supply (minimum), imagine needing a refill when your town is gone.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

All of your essentials need protection in case your home is breached.

Do you have them in known locations?

Not I think they were in the bathroom, but I know they are exactly at X.

Why?

Imagine having to dig through the debris that was you home to find these essentials! It’s dangerous work and you don’t want to be wasting time.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Natural gas and propane should be shut off prior to storms arrival, this will be one less thing to be concerned about post-storm if house is damaged.

If you use natural gas you need a Gas Shut Off Valve Wrench or equivalent.

Note: In many; if not most, locations you are not allowed to turn Natural Gas back on due to potential fire hazard from unlit pilot lights. So consider my advice in relation to this. You either know what your doing or you don’t. Learn or don’t mess with it unless you smell gas.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Tools and supplies for emergency repairs and rescue.

Note: Identify “Samaritan Laws” for your AO to know ramifications of botched rescue attempts.

A come along, straps, anchors, pulleys, rope, chain, hilift jack, chain saw, ax, sledge hammer, prybars, etc…learn the proper use of them or don’t bother.

Roof damage is very common have tarps and associated fir strips/lumber/tools for rudimentary repairs.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Any repairs you attempt post event should be planned step by step to avoid injuries, take your time, don not rush.

You do not want to get injured while dealing with post-storm.

Have and wear gloves when handling debris, much of the metal debris will be extremely sharp.

Consider displaced hazardous wildlife.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink. Port Arthur and Beaumont lost their water supplies due to flooded pumps. How many people store water?? How many people have water filters??

A family LifeStraw – https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Family-1-0-Water-Purifier/dp/B00FM9OBQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504575607&sr=8-1&keywords=lifestraw+family

Or an individual LifeStraw – https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Personal-Camping-Emergency-Preparedness/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504575607&sr=8-3&keywords=lifestraw+family

Or Sawyer mini-filter – https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP103-Filtration-System/dp/B00MPH1LEU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1504575717&sr=1-1&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

While the above won’t filter out chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, organic compounds but remember the mantra – the solution to pollution is dilution), they will filter out bacteria and protozoa.

Storing water – emergency – https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Storage-Gallons/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1504575933&sr=1-1&keywords=Water+Storage+BOB

And, yes, I have all the above as I grew up in Lumberton (check the current news). With well-water, we were dependent upon electricity which was usually out for days/weeks just from all the trees down on the lines…..

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Sawyer mini-filter

I am a fan of the Sawyer, best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Great point!

Know the potential hazards in your AO, Should be part of your IPB/Area Study. Food grade fifty-five gallon drums are relatively cheap yet durable, smaller containers for portability.

Besides a well with redundant pump back ups I also have 1550 tank for people/animals and a much larger tank for fire fighting that would be better than many sources in a pinch with treatment/filtering.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Fuel:

I believe in the 1/2 tank is empty rule, never let your tank in vehicle get below half a tank. this is particularly true as a hurricane threatens.

If you normally don’t keep extra fuel on hand, now is the time (possibly 3 to 5 days out)!

I you have a generator it’s also time to prep it for use, particularly if more than a month since last use. Make sure your chain saw is prepped and sharpened chain available (more is better) and keep it in a handy location. 2cycle mix and bar oil available.

If you normally don’t keep fuel cans filled now is the time, you can always use it in vehicles if hurricane doesn’t hit.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Not a fan of expecting Government assistance, but know what’s available.

DisasterAssistance.gov

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

FEMA Helpline

Add the following information to your devices.

Contact the FEMA Helpline if you have questions about:

The help offered by FEMA.
    How to apply for assistance.
    Information in your account.

Call 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, 7 days a week:

1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362)
    TTY 1-800-462-7585
    711 or VRS 1-800-621-3362
    You can also send an email from the Disaster Assistance webform.
    Or write to:

FEMA
    P.O. Box 10055
    Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Early Registration is possible and maybe worth doing while hurricanes strikes (see FAQ).

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

FEMA is taking volunteers from the regular employee ranks to assist is staffing the call centers. We have a friend who put in some time doing just that. With the volume of Harvey with the new impending threat to FL, calling FEMA may take some time and while getting on the ‘list’ will be important, self-aid will be required.
    Take Joe’s sage advice and prepare early and do work slowly and safely if you have to take care of things after damage occurs.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Since it appears infrastructure for cell communications is more resilient today than in the past, consider how to keep your devices powered. (Do not put all of eggs in one basket, have traditional radio communications)

Cheaper generators can be a problem for electronics, but charging 12 volt batteries are relatively easy which in turn can recharge most devices with appropriate adapters/chargers.

These little Emergency Mobile Device Battery/chargers have gotten pretty reasonable and are easily carried.

Water proof container preferably a pelican case, but even a double ziplock bag is pretty good.

There are plenty of options. Ask if you need a specific solution.

Portable solar can be a decent post-event recovery option.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Alternative shelter options:

I am talking tents and camping hammocks, even a portable screened in gazebo. Trailers and popup campers are great if they survive storm.

Even if your home survives the hurricane if you don’t have a powerful generator like a whole house Generac power system many homes are not livable without Air Conditioning in the heat. No power, no AC!

Consider your options and related security needs giving these conditions.

Not sure if your home is livable under these conditions?

Turn off AC and use no fans for a couple days and you’ll have your answer real quick. ;-)

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Since it appears infrastructure for cell communications is more resilient today than in the past, consider how to keep your devices powered. (Do not put all of eggs in one basket, have traditional radio communications)

I have one of these and I’d recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K6TA748/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got me through a week at scout camp up in the mountains. Keeping the phone charged.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excess bodily fluids and excrement.

Septic systems will work if you have water to flush.

Public sewers may work for a short period if water available, but can easily back up into home under these conditions.

Homeowners in distress routinely express interest in installing a sewer check valve (also known as a backwater valve) as a solution for back ups from public sewer overflow.

Something to consider Pre-Event.

Portable options from buckets to designed systems can make life easier.

Plan ahead and don’t forget to bag up some toilet paper to ensure availability and protection from elements.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have one of these and I’d recommend it.

:good:

Good feedback!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Another thought regarding the many internet devices we have become accustom. Many have DSL accounts, phone service is pretty resilient even when power is out.

Phone companies have both fixed and portable generators to keep phones working.

So it is a good possibility depending on storm location and strength relative to your location to keep phone service even post storm.

My DSL Wireless Router is 12 VDC so it is a simple conversion to a battery operation.

So have your scanners, shortwave radios, and other communication equipment available and ready, but consider how easy it is to keep online should your local phone service stay up.

During Hurricane Mathew I lost power, but stayed online. Of course I was just grazed by storm. Worst gusts were only in the 65 mph range.

Without rationing I can run Generac Power system (propane) for about 30 days. Though I normally won’t, running 4 to 6 hours twice a day will keep refrigerators/freezers going and and batteries charged, this can extend my relatively normal power needs for 3 to 4 months which is overkill.

This is more than many can justify; it’s nice though, but there are many small scale solutions.

wheelsee
    Participant

Fuel:

I believe in the 1/2 tank is empty rule, never let your tank in vehicle get below half a tank. this is particularly true as a hurricane threatens.

If you normally don’t keep extra fuel on hand, now is the time (possibly 3 to 5 days out)!

ABOVE IS FROM JOE

As a general rule, we keep a full tank for each vehicle (20gallon fuel tank = 4 fuel cans) in the form of 5-gallon cans. Double-up on the amount of Sta-bil and rotate annually (we use it to fill the vehicles) – we’ve done such for 15 years without problems or vehicle issues.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am a big proponent of daily CCW!

If you are in a area threatened by any forewarned disaster; if you don’t already, now is the time ensure daily carry for the duration of the threat or actual disaster.

Even if you are prepared any trip to a public place; but particularly stores, needs to conducted with caution. I am not fearmongering!

People unfamiliar with higher levels of stress, combined with fear of unknown, and lack of preparations can get really stupid and dangerous.

We see how people get on “Black Friday” sales, well it can get worse when people are confronted with lack of supplies.

Stay safe, stay armed! :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Don’t park vehicles near trees!

Seems obvious, but I know of many who paid a price for this oversight.

Profile photo of Ralph Kramden
    HiDesertRat
    Participant

Joe,

You can run your Generac generator on propane for ~30 days. What size tank do you have?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

What size tank do you have?

1000 gallon above ground tank.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I got the Generac used for $900 with automatic transfer switch.

The generator itself was hardly ever run, but the housing was rusted out along the bottom. I removed the bad metal and welded up a new lower section.

The tank came with it, but it was pricey to get it emptied for relocation. It took me awhile to get it filled as I only bought when prices were low and in more financially manageable amounts. I use it for my stove, hot water, and the Generac.

It uses around 1.5 gallons per hour on a 50% load so it would be pricey to run it a lot, but propane has unlimited shelf life. Not as efficient as other fuels, but the shelf life is why I like it.

I also prefer it for cooking. :yes:

Profile photo of Ralph Kramden
    HiDesertRat
    Participant

$900 for the generator is a great deal. Thats a pretty good size tank. Thanks for the info.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thats a pretty good size tank.

Why I couldn’t afford to fill it fully at first. :yes:

wheelsee
    Participant

Re: AC and electrical requirements. Think compartments.

This past summer (2017) has seen my house AC go out (1 was electrical component went bad, the other was a coolant leak). Both times saw house temps rise to ambient (90s). However, I had a small window unit (5500BTU) in my cargo trailer that I brought over and put in my bedroom window. At least we could sleep cool. The other benefit is that the smaller window units run on 110 v, 15amp circuits. So a small 2K watt generator (i.e Honda, Yamaha, etc) could run the AC unit (just make sure there generator is outside and is secured).

Another thought – Katrina saw surrounding states’ Meds swamped with people needing refills on life-giving prescriptions. From this, Texas now allows pharmacies to refill critical meds without a prescription (when the Governor implements the rule). But for those who live in states without this emergency procedure, take a picture of each label. You’d be surprised at the number of people who have no clue what medication they take, only “a little white pill.” At the very least, you need a list of the medications, dosages, and how taken (many meds are used for different diagnoses and the dosage/frequency will be different). I always carry at least 1 week of meds with me going to work (backpack).

I keep copies of ALL of my medical records, including clinic notes, labs, EKGs, radiology, etc. This has saved me more than once when seeing a specialist but is invaluable in a time when no records are available.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

But for those who live in states without this emergency procedure, take a picture of each label. You’d be surprised at the number of people who have no clue what medication they take, only “a little white pill.”

Guilty…I am not normally on meds but when I am I have no clue. This is great advice wheelsee

I keep copies of ALL of my medical records, including clinic notes, labs, EKGs, radiology, etc. This has saved me more than once when seeing a specialist but is invaluable in a time when no records are available.

Another golden nugget. I was great about this when I transitioned from mil > civ but after that, I sort of slacked off. Just recently started updating and backing up digital copies of everything. Obviously, you want to take precautions to keep these documents safe. I like to keep them on an encrypted partition with a mobile version of the encryption software on the same drive on another nonencrypted partition. (not the only way just one option)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.