Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Hurricane Preparedness

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Hurricane Preparedness

This topic contains 45 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Alternative shelter options:

I am talking tents and camping hammocks, even a portable screened in gazebo. Trailers and popup campers are great if they survive storm.

Even if your home survives the hurricane if you don’t have a powerful generator like a whole house Generac power system many homes are not livable without Air Conditioning in the heat. No power, no AC!

Consider your options and related security needs giving these conditions.

Not sure if your home is livable under these conditions?

Turn off AC and use no fans for a couple days and you’ll have your answer real quick. ;-)

I may have posted this last event but I have a portable Honda Genset 5500W. When we redid our electric because of a flooring issue, we consolidated two breaker boxes into one and it had a mechanical interlock for the generator. Kill the main, slide the bar and hit the genney breaker and you are in business. You could probably retrofit an existing panel for less than $100 for the panel facing, breakers and sockets. And with this setup you can light any breaker you need.

The thing is that the setup like Joe’s are great if you can afford them and plan to run 14kw of power during an outage, throw a party, bake a turkey and turn on every light and appliance in the house. Plus they can/will fire up automatic. But generally you don’t need all that power in an emergency and you can’t take one of those sets with you in a hurry.

I run a fridge, freezer, well pump, sewage pump, water heater and one room full of lights on mine with no problem and can go for better than a week on 20 gal of gas.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Trailman’s comments are excellent advice.

Though I remind everyone the quote above was less about the Generac, but about how unlivable modern housing in Much of Florida is without electricity. Lack of well thought out ventilation, too airtight, and in high temperature/humidity weather are more like a sauna.

My home is old school Cracker style (very old), designed by basic Floridians before there was electricity and running water. It is far more comfortable in a low tech situation. Even though wood frame, the siding (3/4″) and internal paneling (slightly over 3/4″) sandwich the framing wall making for a far more sturdy construction than is available today. The orientation, size, and location of the windows is for maximum ventilation utilizing natural circulation of the Florida environment.

Unfortunately when power is out for days most Florida homes really suck inside and being so airtight can develop mold very quickly.

My Generac was too good a deal for me to pass up and is not my only generator.

Got some things to take care of right now, when back I’ll explain how my current choices are for a specific purpose beyond my comfort and security.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My current way of dealing with these temporary disaster situations; vice longterm situations most of us have considered, is how can I help out friends, neighbors, and elderly/special needs.

In doing so this builds real community and relieves some pressure on First responders.

Checking on these people to help them get ready, offer advice, and deal with the aftermath. Should my area have significant storm affects I will be opening my house to many people to ride out the storm, hot meals, water, showers, and transportation as needed.

Temporary repairs for those that are physically unable to do so and help for those that are, but need guidance due to lack of needed skills/knowledge.

This help has already led to significant improvement in many peoples knowledge and preparedness as each past event happened. This has greatly expanded my network of people willing to help me.

This positive image can only benefit me as well as those I am in contact with and has proven true so far.

While certainly debatable, my hope is this will lead to a improved situation in a major “Event.”

This is where many will raise “OPSEC” concerns!

While many know about my public preparations. I have many preparations outside of public view. I have a secondary cabin stocked and ready in a remote difficult to reach location as my next fall-back.

I have redundant plans for many scenarios far beyond this secondary location to include options to even leave the country, with many other options available before such drastic action.

Obviously some Thread drift, but I am not going to live in hole with my goodies with my only concern for myself.

IMHO we must do everything within our power to build community! I don’t have all the answers, but this represents a good overview my intentions.

YMMV ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Highway 321 which starts around Savannah and ends up in TN somewhere, is bumper to bumper around Gaston and Swansea, SC.

I have seen this many times prior to hurricanes.

Reports that I 95 is a parking lot from Savannah to the I 26 junction.

Something to consider when guesstimating fuel requirements for evacuations.

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

Thanks for this info/intel.

A few data points related re-central FL:
    1- I’ve gotten word from a few MVT alum in Tampa, and from a family friend who tried to evacuate Orlando as early as Wednesday night, that the northbound Florida Turnpike is crawling bumper to bumper. (to the point where the friend gave up and decided to return home to ride it out- he gave up maybe 20 miles into a several hundred mile escape route)

2- Got another report (via MVT alum nearby) that I-75N is crawling bumper to bumper, or stopped from north of Tampa up to and past the junction with the FL Turnpike.

3-got another report from a Macon GA MVT alum today, that I-75N in Macon is crawling bumper to bumper

DuaneH’s report above re- highway from coastal GA northwest sounds exactly the same.

A common unsurprising bit with all of these reports, and my own Orlando experience this week, is that many gas stations are out of gas.

Those are data points or information, I think the “intelligence” wrap up of it would be that an evacuation is going to be very difficult, if possible at all. Good chance of running out of fuel along the way without ability to get more, unless you bring enough. You will probably burn a lot more gas per mile going at a slow slow pace in the heaviest traffic you can think of.

Critical intel to know, when making your decision to stay or go!

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

Another local report, from a central Florida guy (MVT alum) who decided to leave today and is on the road right now up to Virginia.
    I-95N wasn’t too bad north of the I-4/I-95 junction. They’re on US-1 going north now, and were aware via Google maps that Savannah is a mess trafficwise. Currently they’ve made it up to St. Augustine FL and are still moving ok.

If I get any spot reports from them along the way, I’ll pass it on.

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Always something to keep an eye on!

WEEKEND: NEW HURRICANE SET FOR FLORIDA?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well it’s almost hurricane season and to remind us we have Subtropical Storm Alberto in the Gulf of Mexico.

Subtropical Storm Alberto triggers states of emergencies on US Gulf Coast

Alberto to make landfall on US Gulf Coast to end Memorial Day weekend

So even if this isn’t a threat to you, this is a good reminder to check your preps and generators.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

For those who are new to hurricanes, read this thread from the beginning. And have enough supplies to last at least 2 weeks, especially chronic illness medications (heart failure, diabetes, emphysema, seizures, blood pressure, etc) – these you should have at least a 30-day supply on hand, rotate out as prescriptions refilled. For those needing insulin, check with your family doctor for the pens (most are good for 30-days, unrefrigerated, after opening). For those needing supplemental oxygen (COPD, ILD, etc), make sure you have backup power for the concentrators and/or bottles (at least an E-cylinder) for backup.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With the discussion Hurricane / CQBC and considerations when travelling and leaving your residence. It seems like a good time to bring this back to everyone’s attention.

If for whatever reason you are considering a hurrevac there are things to prepare your home.

Considerations for leaving home before a storm.

Secure the outside of property of all objects that can become projectiles in high wind. Preferably by placing them inside outbuildings or home, if this is not possible tying them down to secure anchors or even the base of trees can be a alternative.

If you have natural gas service turn off gas to home (remember you will need to relight pilot lights), propane tanks can be turned off at the tank (again pilot lights).

If on community water turn off water valve and sewage backflow valve if present.

Turn off electric at interior and exterior panels (will vary in location).

The idea is to secure things that could increase damage to property if infrastructure sustains damage.

Doors (to include interior doors), gates, windows, need to be secured.

Take a chainsaw (axe and saw old school alternatives) with you, since you may need it to return home due to downed trees etc…

Freezers? Well you may need to leave that circuit up, two litter bottles filled with water that can be frozen to fill voids in freezer. A good quality freezer filled to capacity with frozen products will last longer than a half filled freezer.

Empty refrigerator or fill with frozen two litter bottles, kept closed with frozen two litter it will last a long time. Even if you leave refrigerator on, filling with frozen two litters will increase life if power goes out. What you don’t want to deal with is returning home to a closed refrigerator filled with rotten food.

Livestock? Depends on type, but shelter and water minimum. Food is dependent on duration, breed, and expected duration of event.

This is a good start will add more later and others with experience will add their thoughts.

Edit: Those in potential area should start keeping vehicles fueled up as fuel can be an issue. Take alternative comms and a scanner with you to increase awareness. ZELLO and Brodcastify apps may have use depending on infrastructure damage. Remember text messages can sometimes get through when voice can not.

When is the last time you serviced and ran your generator?

Don’t wait!

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Freezers? Well you may need to leave that circuit up, two litter bottles filled with water that can be frozen to fill voids in freezer. A good quality freezer filled to capacity with frozen products will last longer than a half filled freezer.

A trick to know if and how long a freezer has been without power (and came back on) is to take a short cup (translucent) of water and freeze. Then place a penny on top. If you notice the penny sitting part-way, or worse at the bottom, your freezer has lost power long enough to potentially defrost your food (which may now need to be disposed of, even if refrozen).

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

First Sergeant’s Thread What Could Have Happened? about situational awareness is a good reminder of possible complications during emergencies.

When supplies get scarce some people get weird!

Stress can make people unreasonable and dangerous, act accordingly.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Traveling among evacuees whether as a evacuees or just getting somewhere can be a problem.

Fuel is a major concern, carrying extra fuel is recommended. Topping off your tank more frequently is a must since you never know about availability. There are Apps to aid in fuel availability, but there is a error rate to it.

Old school CB radio is highly recommended as the information from truckers can be outstanding, particularly how to detour hazzards. There are also Apps that provide traffic information.

Cash is a must have!

Credit/debit machines and ATM’s go down frequently during severe weather.

Extra food and water is recommended. Easy access to rain gear is important.

Check vehicle prior to leaving. Extra fluids, duct tape, basic tools should be available. Fix-a-flat can be helpful in a emergency. Keeping access to spare tire (check spare tire air pressure prior to leaving) is important, sometimes it’s better to relocate it if traveling heavy. Nothing like emptying vehicle in the rain to get to tire. ;-)

A radio scanner is helpful, though be mindful of varying laws. Some require a HAM license to listen mobile.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Storm bump! ;-)

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

So help me God it better not effing rain all through CLC

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Some more common stuff that is often overlooked in the rush for water and gas preps…

*In the hours before hurricane reaches your area- cool down your house. We are normally back off the grid this time of year, but we are on currently to run the AC units. While we typically keep these at 78-79 during the day, we have them cranked to 76 right now. The house is pretty well insulated and if conventional power goes, the house will stay comfortable for a day or more closed up.

*Clean your house. In the rush to fill up bathtubs, sinks, etc. this is forgotten. Sounds stupid I know but again, without power for a few days/weeks you are going to have a mess. Begin with everything clean. We can sweep almost all of our house, but a lot of houses have carpet galore.

*Establish and inside/outside shoe regimen. You’ll be going outside a lot afterwards to check storm damage, clean up debris, etc. Getting back to the next one above this, you’ll want to keep the inside of your house as clean as possible. Flip flops/slip on sandals by the entrance to the house. Your outside shoes will be wet and nasty, and could be covered in all sorts of nasties if their is flooding- keep them outside the house. Keep one problem from becoming a bigger one.

*In the same vein, in the hours before it gets to your area, have the whole family shower and shave. Again, not knowing if power (which equals water pressure also for most people) will be available for a while afterwards, better to start off all clean.

*Big popcorn bowls make a great thing to keep in the sinks that they will fit in. Wash water can be re-used a few times. Usually a quick rinse can be accomplished with water in the lines afterwards, or a second bowl can be used for that. We have 530 gallons of rain catchment tanks around the house and another 210 a few steps from the house. This is usually what we will wash up with after the fact.

I said last go around that I needed to run a line to one of the toilets from one of the tanks with a little pressure pump in line, to use the rain catchment tank water to flush toilets. I did not get that done yet. Course everyone probably knows you just put more water in the back of the toilet tank and it will flush- any sort of water will do- standing water from the yard will be fine if that’s all their is and the only option is pooping outside… LOL

*Prep chainsaws and clearance tools a day ahead. Have tarps handy. We know someone in the billboard business, so we have a lot of large billboard vinyls. If you know someone in the billboard business, ask him to hook you up with some vinyls. These are usually quite large, upwards of 20X40 or more and pretty durable. If you lose a section of roof, these can be installed in minutes to limit damage before more permanent repairs are made.

*If you have a lot of trees around your place, consider thinning ahead of time. Look near bases of trees, how they lean, etc. We had a bad storm here about 12 years ago that pushed over a ton of hardwood in the wetter areas, yet the drier areas on ridges didn’t have so much as a single tree down. The difference was in the swampier areas the roots don’t have to go deep for water, and with shallow roots they topple easier in the wind. The drier growing trees have to root down farther for water, and seem to be sturdier. Something to consider in an already water soaked area.

*To most of us this is pretty standard advice but just in case- So let’s say you don’t have a good water filter (shame on you BTW) and you need water. Most houses or even offices will have coffee filters around. This makes a good general filter BEFORE you either boil or use a little bleach to purify the water. Neither the boiling or any chemical purification will do anything for the little trees and debris that will be in the bucket/canteen/water container. The coffee filter will screen most of them out.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.