Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Is It Feasible? (A1 upper)

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Is It Feasible? (A1 upper)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

In my other post titled “An Awesome Week”, I made mention of beginning a AR pistol build. In regards to the build, and in order to save some dollars, I have a A1 upper with carrying handle. My question is this, is it feasible to mill the handle off and create a flat top minus the T slots? Pressures should not be an issue as the dimensions between a flat top and A1 model are nearly identical. Feed back and/or advice is appreciated.

Max
    Keymaster

A machinist could absolutely mill the upper for you. The main issue (I think) would be figuring out the right fixtures to hold the piece, that wouldn’t put undue stress on the upper.

I would look in your local craigslist for a machinist advertising work, and call to discuss the project with him.

However, I would be surprised if he didn’t want atleast $50 to mill it smooth, free hand. It wouldn’t be worth it coming up with the g-code for one piece. So… hate to say this, but probably more economical to buy another upper.

just my 2 cents. Good luck with your build.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

What H said- before you get to the milling part, see if you can either sell it and use the funds to get a flattop, or you may even find someone that would want to trade- some folks still like the carry handle uppers, either for nostalgic or KISS reasons.

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Check out Palmettostatearmory.com. They typically run 39.95$ blem stripped m4 uppers.

I stocked up on the blemmed uppers and they don’t look bad. Some of them just have handling marks.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Ditto on the PSA blemish sale. You’re gonna spend at least that much to get it milled. There are guys that still prefer an A1 upper for simple iron sights. Good chance you can sell/trade it.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Max
    Keymaster

Thanks for your opinions and advice. You have given me a lot to think about and I have decided to got with a true flat top. Will let ya’ll know how the build goes and of course the all important performance aspect of a done deal.

Max
    Keymaster

Bought a flat top upper with M4 groves and a couple of smaller parts today. Hurry up next pay day. The barrel and Sig brace is on order. Speaking of the Sig brace, if you don’t already have one, you need to get it quick. After the recent ATF letter signifying that the agency deems it legal to fire from the shoulder from a pistol since the ATF cannot regulate how the product is used, they are flying off the shelves and becoming increasingly difficult to find. Just think about the SBR that you always wanted but could not afford the stamp or the waiting period, well now you can have it in the form of a pistol AR with a Sig brace model SB-15.

Max
    Keymaster

For Eric

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Max
    Keymaster

The pistol build is going slowly but going none the less. Attached is the upper and mid length rail. Only three parts left, the barrel, BCG, and muzzle device (of which I have not decided upon yet). Also picked up the Sig-Brace today.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.