Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

IWI Tavor

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

After much deliberation I decided to go with the Tavor for my main 5.56 battle rifle. The ergonomics, gas piston system, ease of maintenance and battle proven performance by the Israeli Army sold me on it. I know because of the large acceptance of the AR platform in the U.S. I probably should have gone with a typical AR15 but I figure I can pick up a cheap one in the future. I am currently running a ta-11 acog on it, magpul ms3 sling and swapped out for the geiselle trigger pack. It’s a very comfortable rifle to carry. I was curious if anyone has run one of these in any of the classes yet.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Palmetto
    Palmetto
    Participant

It looks like someone had one in the Combat 2 Gun course that ran this past February. You can check out the class picture from the student reviews. I imagine it drew some attention in that class so hopefully there is someone out there in “forum land” that might could give you a report on how it functioned.

Pray for peace but prepare for war.

CR, Nov 8-9, 2014; CTT, Apr 24-26, 2015

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There have been several class photos with Tavors carried by class participants.

I believe since they have both ammo and magazine compatibility that you wouldn’t have any real issues regardless with whom you are operating.

I would probably pick up the “Tavor SAR Bolt Parts Kit” and keep your original trigger pack handy for a back up (not carried with you, just available).

I would still make sure you learn all of the handling and malfunction drills with the AR to keep well rounded in your capabilities.

I have been debating the idea of getting a Tavor instead of an SBR AR, it would avoid the BAFTE paperwork and tax and is slightly shorter than a 10″ AR15 with stock collapsed.

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

Great advice. I was thinking aling those same lines. I picked up that parts kit recently and I was planning on bringing the extra trigger pack to class. You’re absolutely right about being familiar with the AR. It’s near the top of my list of things to do before class. Thanks for the input.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I did a review of my daily carry of a Tavor on my site. I am impressed by its reliability and the ease of in and out of a vehicle.

http://quietsurvivalist.com/the-quiet-survivalist-review-of-the-tavor-b16-2015/

It does have a couple issues you need to be aware of if you are going to carry one in harms way. Mostly the bolt can be knocked out of battery, it will go click instead of bang when it happens. I was a bit disturbed when I had the hammer drop on an out of battery bolt. No disconnector in the trigger pack it seems.

Still, its meant to be carried bolt forward on an empty chamber, loaded mag inserted. So running the bolt before firing is a normal solution, and if carried this way it becomes a non issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.